Line 6 Helix Native (vst): Full-Song Demo.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by AkiraSpectrum, Jun 21, 2019.

1. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Been using Line 6 Helix Native (vst) for awhile to jam and play along to songs, etc.
    This is the first time I've attempted to record a whole song (which happened to be for a cover contest for a music chain in Canada) using Helix Native.

Only had a couple hours to write/record and mix this but I found it very easy to dial-in tones since I can easily 're-amp' the DI tracks on the fly. Once you become familiar with Helix it's very easy to dial-in tones that work in the mix, unlike some other vst-modelers i've tried. I went a little over-the-top on some of the sounds (mainly the lead tone), but it was all just for fun, nothing serious.

All the guitar tones are using a Friedman BE100 (Placater model) and a Redwire IR (Bogner 4x12 w/ v30's). Used an ESP/LTD EC-1000 with Dimarzio Titans in Drop C, with an Ibanez SR405nt for bass using the Ampeg SVT model with an Ownhammer IR.

-----Warning: I have no skills when it comes to mixing; in other words, I'm an amateur. And yes, my playing is super sloppy.

-How have other people found Helix Native for recording?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    AirForbes1 likes this.
  2. MoJoToJo

MoJoToJo SS.org Regular

Your guitar face is priceless AkiraSpectrum! Recorded with phone? [​IMG]

3. AkiraSpectrum

Ha thanks! It's all about the face, lol.

Yeah it was recorded with my iPhone SE. When I was 'playing along' to the song for the video I had the volume up too high and the bass frequencies were shaking the iphone, which you can see on the edges of the video every few seconds. Luckily the middle of the frame (me) was auto-stabilized or something.

Next time I record a video i'll be sure to turn down the playback or put my phone on a different surface, lol!

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The BE100 model is killer as fuck. Really thick sounding. I actually like to keep the Saturation switch off and boost the front end with the Compulsive drive to add in some extra chunk.

Also that green Eclipse is sliiiick.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. AkiraSpectrum

Yeah huge fan of the BE100 model--it's my #1. I don't use the saturation switch myself. I tend to turn on the HBE setting and the C45 switch though. Then I boost it with the Ibanez ts808 (whatever its called in helix).

And yeah, the EC-1000 in green (from 2007) I lucked into by finding it used (for half price retail) locally. Love it.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

Try the Badonk as well. It's pretty legit as well. It's tight and chunky like the BE but has a more scooped, high mid sound so they compliment each other. I actually have a patch set up where I run them both together and it's fucking crushing. :lol:

And yeah, you're not helping me with my GAS for another Eclipse. :llol:

AkiraSpectrum and AirForbes1 like this.
  7. MoJoToJo

MoJoToJo SS.org Regular

Never had much luck recording with phone mind you I use Android & they are worse than iphone. Mate of mine has had very good results with a Rode plug in mic on his iphone though

8. AirForbes1

AirForbes1 SS.org Regular

I concur. The Badonk is sick.

Cool video @AkiraSpectrum !

9. AkiraSpectrum

Yeah I haven't played with that model too much, but I will have to give it a more thorough playing soon!

Yeah you can't go wrong with an Eclipse (ESP, E-II, or LTD), it just works on so many levels, and the 1000 series are well made. Now I just need an E-II or ESP USA Eclipse, lol.

Cool. If I start doing any videos with dialogue/speech then I may look into a Rode plug in mic. Who knows, maybe i'll do a few guitar reviews (reviewing my collection of guitars).

Yeah will definitely need to try out that model soon!

Thanks, appreciate it!!

MoJoToJo likes this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

I did this earlier today to test out my current preset in a mix. It's the BE100 on one side and the Badonk on the other. IIRC I had the settings I said above (C45 on, fat on, Sat off) on the BE100. Both boosted with I BELIEVE with either the Stupor Drive or the Deranged Master. IR is some Ownhammer Framus IR I got with the Helix (2nd hand). The Badonk was dialed in to sound kinda scooped and fizzy, and the BE100 dark and fat

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/256618452649902110/592449426799460363/hollowhelix.mp3

The mix is compressed AF because I actually made this backing track from scratch around a previous amp VST a year ago so I didn't really adjust the levels or anything. :lol:

11. AkiraSpectrum

sounds massive!
    yeah, definitely a lot of compression going on there, lol. still, sounds killer.