Laney irt studio

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting one of these for recording at home. I had a line 6 hd 500 i used for only recording but sold it because i was a little short on cash one month. I was not really crazy about it anyways and felt like it was overwhelming and struggled to find tones i was happy with. Anyways i am considering this as a replacement. Have heard nothing but good things about the ironheart 120 and 60 head. From what i understand this unit is like a full 15 watt head with both pre amp and poweramp tubes and has a internal soundcard and usb port for easy direct recording and a footswitch to change channels. You can use it with a cab, monitors , or headphones. It sounds perfect for me just for home recordings and jamming. What do you guys think. Anyone have any experience with them. The demos of the heads on youtube sound killer.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
There was a thread recently where people were posting problems with Ironheart amplifiers. I know mine had some serious issues and I now no longer play it at all. I have an IRT60h. The build quality was pretty poor and it's basically not usable after a couple months. Could be hit or miss.

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my IRT studio. I was running it into my powered PA with the XLR out cab sim. It sounded pretty baller. I've also been using the USB reamp feature in Pro Tools for recording. The built in cab sim is pretty nice, but I use it with the Two Notes plugin for recording. It definitely helps. I'd buy it again without hesitation.

Stephen

Collibus
Reaction score
Never had an issue with mine. I have the IRT60H and 2 IRT Studios which I gig a hell of a lot out of.

I've had tube issues but that's just tubes going bad. But my experience with the Ironhearts has been nothing but great and I'm not just saying that because I'm endorsed by Laney either.

Obviously you're going to get a couple of amps which happen to have faults but you could say the same for anything electronic.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
I absolutely adore my IRT Studio. I've only used it with a cab and with headphones but it sounds great. I've had it for 4 or 5 months now and haven't had a moments trouble from it.

nlaplante

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just do some search over the net and count the number of happy IRT's against the number of unhappy and/or non-functioning IRT. It will tell you something.

Some IRT might be faulty from the factory, but the same could be said about anything else. I've been using my IRT60H for over a year now without any single issue, maybe except the power light going out.

Don't know about the studio editions tough. Personally I'd go for it for recording purposes.

EDIT: I've had had more issues in ~6 months with my USA made Peavey JSX head than with China-made IRT :)

molsoncanadian

Crunchy Riff, Eh?
Reaction score
I picked up an IRT studio on the bay for cheap after ditching the axe fx. I have used all outputs/configurations possible - Studio Moniters, Cab, DI w/ usb ect ect, and I am quite happy with it. No issues thus far, great sounding little amp as well. The 15W setting can get pretty dam loud too.

I would buy this thing over and over and over again hahaha. Great for travelling too, and the cab sim is quite nice actually.

Pretty dry in terms of tone though. Absolutely love the low gain/bluesy breakup. Cleans are nice as well.

minorseventh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hate seeing these Laneys getting a bad rap, although I myself am slightly responsible as I have posted my problems with one. but seriously, we arent talking bugera or behringer level of failures here!! I think just a few shouldnt have made it past the factory shipping dock is all. and I think retailers should make sure new amps work, (and stand by their return policies if they dont, but thats a whole 'nother thread.)
if I was in the market for an amp, I would be considering the ironheart again.
that is saying allot, because I go through amps like toilet paper, and I rarely ever want to buy something twice.
I really dug my IRT studio though. super fun to play, and potentially very versatile.
also, its a very articulate amp. with the gain maxed out it did have some fizz, but anything less than that and that sucker was razor sharp and defined.
now I kinda want another one. great.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
+1 for the Studio, here.
Lovely little amp, full of brutality but also gentle when on the clean. Never had a problem with it, I take it with me for rehearsals and gigs, it works great.
The cab sim is OK, but if you want to have the best out of it you need to go through a cabinet... the smaller the better, though. While I love it through 1x12s and it is quite nice through 2x12s, I can't stand it through 4x12s.

viesczy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Every tone I have heard from the Ironheart series has wowed me, but I am a Laney FANBOY and I completey need another of their amps to go with my VH100 and TT50.

It doesn't surprise that there have been some failures reported, just the law of large #s. The lower price point mean more made/purchased, that means more reported failures but I'd venture to guess that the actual failure rate isn't far off what is considered "acceptable" by manufacturing standards. Now if your amp is one of the failures, that is no acceptable to you!

About the POD, have you turned off all speaker/cab sims on it? That was my biggest hindrance to getting tones from my HD147 & my POD X3. Once those were turned off, awesome tones were to be had.

Imagine how your POD and an Ironheart would sound together! ;)

Derek