Lack of hardtails / 24 frets

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
The title almost says it all.

For the kind of guitars we are drawn to here, almost all of these companies are dominated by floating bridges in their nicer models. It's like a ratio of 5:1 for Jackson, or Ibanez, or even ESP.

Schecter makes a nice fixed-bridge 25.5 guitar - the C6 Pro. But what's up with the adolescent logo?

I wish ESP made more fixed bridge horizons with the banana headstock. Ibanez too, what's wrong with making fixed bridge AZs? Or where are HSH teles in 24 fret formats? ESP has a nice LTD TE1000, with scalloped frets, but only 24 frets.

Can you name any 'nice' HSH fixed bridge guitar? There isn't any besides the Gilbert model from a while ago.

Or if I want to be more specific with my simple preferences that I think should be more available:
HSH
Metallic finish (Not drab or satin)
Nothing too spikey

The closest model is the Charvel GG or the Charvel DK24, but it's still comes with a trem. What's a reasonably priced version of a Suhr modern with a fixed bridge?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plenty of 24 fret non-trems out there, it's the HSH configuration that tends to be much much less popular.

Off the top of my head I can think of the Ibanez S671 and SEW761 models, but they're definitely not very upmarket if you're shopping for Charvel GGs and thinking about a Suhr.

xzyryabx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently blocked my first Floyd using one block of wood behind the block and another infront and honestly couldn't be happier with the result. I love the feel of the Floyd under my palm and like having the fine tuners and it has opened up my options for guitars exponentially since most of the guitars I dig have Floyd's. Give it a shot, might solve your problem.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I do share your pain, because I absolutely hate tremolos of all forms.

I think you might be finding the real problem is that you want HSH pickups, which is a rare configuration on anything other than a strat shaped body. So that really restricts you in what you can buy. And then, by tradition, strat bodies normally have a trem of some sort. Not universally, but you are looking for a combination of two relatively rare features on one guitar.

I think that your best bet (other than a proper custom axe) is the TE-1000 you mentioned. Since it actually has a pickguard, it wouldn't be a vast undertaking to modify it take a single coil. Any routing you had to do would be underneath, so wouldn't need a full refinish. A job for a luthier, but the least work necessary IMHO.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
block of wood behind the block and another infront

Yup. I do the same. I cut it out, and use sandpaper to fit it snug. I really like it. However, whenever I have to fix action, I have to take the block out first to not damage the sides inside. Whereas, fixed bridges are much simpler than all that.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
you are looking for a combination of two relatively rare features on one guitar.

Yes, I know. Even if I were to forego the HSH requirement, and stick with just HH, the options do not really open up that much.

Look at Jackson Pro soloists or dks. They have all these rainbow crackle finishes and what not. The hardtail models arent that impressive next to them. What about the tooth inlays? No hardtails with tooth or sharktooth inlays.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Yes, I know. Even if I were to forego the HSH requirement, and stick with just HH, the options do not really open up that much.

Look at Jackson Pro soloists or dks. They have all these rainbow crackle finishes and what not. The hardtail models arent that impressive next to them. What about the tooth inlays? No hardtails with tooth or sharktooth inlays.

Ah a man of culture I see :D I too absolutely love sharktooth inlays and it really frustrates me how hard they are to find.

And yes, you're right that for weird reasons they tend not to make so many nice finishes on the hardtail versions. Not to say they are dreadful, just that they are very standard. I suspect it's because they just don't make so many bodies cut that way, and every extra finish adds complexity, so they stick to the basics.

You might want to consider Solar if you haven't already. They don't do much hardtail, but they do a good number of fixed bridges in a good range of finishes. No HSH, but they do have HS which is cool and weird, or a lot of HH in nice colours.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To me, this is why I'm so drawn to custom/semi-custom. The rare chance I find a guitar with just the right on-paper specs, it's often only in black or some weird color, or a sig model from an artist I don't care for nor want their name/special inlay on it. For example: Nearly every 24-fret model from kiesel can come as HSH, and they all (except for artist sig models) start with a fixed bridge as standard, and all come with gloss finish as standard, and a selection of metallic finishes. And, most of their newer models are all 25.5". I bring them up because it's what I know best, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get the same from Balaguer.

[Edit: just went to Balaguer's website, and I could hit all of those specs].

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
it's often only in black or some weird color, or a sig model from an artist I don't care for nor want their name/special inlay on it.

just went to Balaguer's website, and I could hit all of those specs

Never heard of Balaguer guitars. Just checked out their website. Nice semi-custom guitars there. Easy to navigate site as well. Also, like the Kiesel suggestion, just not a fan of any of their shapes so far. Something seems off to me always. Good suggestion though to go semi-custom.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
To me, this is why I'm so drawn to custom/semi-custom. The rare chance I find a guitar with just the right on-paper specs, it's often only in black or some weird color, or a sig model from an artist I don't care for nor want their name/special inlay on it. For example: Nearly every 24-fret model from kiesel can come as HSH, and they all (except for artist sig models) start with a fixed bridge as standard, and all come with gloss finish as standard, and a selection of metallic finishes. And, most of their newer models are all 25.5". I bring them up because it's what I know best, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get the same from Balaguer.

[Edit: just went to Balaguer's website, and I could hit all of those specs].

Yeah, it's always tempting, isn't it? Just go and get EXACTLY what you want and make it properly bespoke so you can be snooty at anyone with a lesser guitar. Except it comes with the "Oh god my kidneys!" pricing. And, even worse, you really can't dodge the costs by doing stuff yourself; when you're spending well over a grand to get all the bits together, then $400 to get a professionally applied, bespoke paintjob actually sounds reasonable. Whether that's just some custom mixed colour or flake or pearl or full on graphics and such, that's almost the least bothersome part of it.

I guess that the real lesson is just... Make do until $3k of custom axe is a plausible proposition for you. That's kinda what I do. None of my guitars are expensive really at all. Just cheap and functional, so I don't feel bad they are boring and imperfect. One day I might pull the trigger and get a man's axe, but until then I just sigh wistfully.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Just go and get EXACTLY what you want and make it properly bespoke so you can be snooty at anyone with a lesser guitar. Except it comes with the "Oh god my kidneys!" pricing

And that's kinda my point. I wish there were more hardtail options around the Jackson Pro price and quality range. Something that is of a certain standard quality wise, and somewhat reasonable. Something you can actually play, take to gigs, and not worry about dinging it up.

We can all save up and get our custom spec'd guitars, but I wouldnt be able to justify taking it to places I am unsure of. I'm talking about standard (not budget compromised ; nor museum art pieces) guitars.

diagrammatiks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd think about a kiesel or route. for that middle pickup.

If i had a decent luthier I could trust around here I would have routed every one of my guitars already.

oh also don't be afraid of warmoth

if you just need a straight scale tele or strat type thing just go warmoth

Last edited:

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
And that's kinda my point. I wish there were more hardtail options around the Jackson Pro price and quality range. Something that is of a certain standard quality wise, and somewhat reasonable. Something you can actually play, take to gigs, and not worry about dinging it up.

We can all save up and get our custom spec'd guitars, but I wouldnt be able to justify taking it to places I am unsure of. I'm talking about standard (not budget compromised ; nor museum art pieces) guitars.

The problem is value engineering, sadly. It seems like it shouldn't be such a big deal to just route the body slightly differently, but the manufacturers only make money if they do 1000 at a time, otherwise it takes longer to set up the machines than it does to do the job and that's no damn good. So you end up either having to go to a proper bespoke producer, who does EVERYTHING custom, or just not getting it at all.

Avedas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Towel"? Is that an auto-correct typo?

no-youre-a-towel.jpg