Japan, then Mexico/South Korea, then Indonesia, then China...who's next?

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
South Korea. The US has a total trade embargo on anything coming out of North Korea (along with Iran, Cuba, etc.).
North and South Korea have some shared factories in the DMZ area around Kaesong. None of them make guitars afaik though.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There were rumors that some stuff supposedly from China is actually North Korea re-export.
That would be a huge issue. What products specifically are rumored to be North Korean re-export?

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good point. Someone needs to hire those BRJ ghost builders :lol:
Lol a lot of those magical early BC Riches were carved in Mexico and finished in the US. That started well before BRJ entered the picture :lol:

As for why other companies don't use Mexico, I think it's because they would have to put a lot more into it. Like, as far as I understand it, FMIC Mexico factory is owned and operated by FMIC. The other countries (Indonesia, Japan, Korea, etc.) have contract manufacturers like Cor-Tek, Fujigen, and WMI, who will take the headache of running day-to-day operations off your plate. However, the downside of this is that they're not going to do that without turning a profit themselves.

This might be why FMIC's MIM stuff is so awesome for the money.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
African countries for sure. I see the rise of Africa happening in the next few decades.

olejason

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's something to be said of the collectivist culture and stable governments of places like China, Korea, etc. Countries in central Africa aren't going to be able to compete with that in our lifetime barring some sort of world changing calamity. I think India will become a bigger player though.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's something to be said of the collectivist culture and stable governments of places like China, Korea, etc. Countries in central Africa aren't going to be able to compete with that in our lifetime barring some sort of world changing calamity. I think India will become a bigger player though.
I’d still prefer they find ways to further automate guitar manufacturing, so they can make the cheap guitars in countries that don’t treat their people and the environment like shit.

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
African countries for sure. I see the rise of Africa happening in the next few decades.

I don't. And anyway, they are still 1,000 years behind. They may be literal Chinese subjects in 25 years anyway, along with the U.S. if we don't snap out of it. :ugh:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I don't. And anyway, they are still 1,000 years behind. They may be literal Chinese subjects in 25 years anyway, along with the U.S. if we don't snap out of it. :ugh:
Isn't this the exact same mentality we had of China 25 years ago? :shrug: "mostly agrarian" this and "no cars until 1990's" that....

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Chinese intellect and culture are in a completely different league.
Than the whole of Africa? Hard disagree there. All of this (cheap manufacturing in Asia and Mexico, and possibly Africa) has a hell of a lot more to do with governments than “intellect and culture”