Jackson/Charvel/EVH 2023

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thought it was worth it's own megathread since we have one for ESP as well and a couple of other new models are popping up.

The Jackson Mark Heylum sig model was leaked earlier last month.

Charvel just revealed the Prashant Aswani sig.

2966011521_cha_ins_frt_1_rr.png

EVH has more Iconic combos available. a 2x12 and a 1x10 15w tube combo.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I'm always interested to see what every company puts out. If they do a seven string MJ series soloist I'd pretty much buy it immediately as long as it isn't black. I think the chances of this are slim though.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
I like Prashant's sig. Have liked his music for years and it's nice to see him get his own signature. I'll mull it over but that might be a late 2023 purchase.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like Prashant's sig. Have liked his music for years and it's nice to see him get his own signature. I'll mull it over but that might be a late 2023 purchase.
I like how he was an ESP artist foreeeeeeeeever, got a ton of customs, but never a sig.
He's with Fender for like 1 year and they're like "oh okay here's a sig bro." :lol:

Estilo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
BUT WHERE ARE THE STAINLESS STEEL FRETS??

It's a meme now but all jokes aside, I really think Charvel should do ss frets for their price point, especially when MIJs can be had cheaper. I really like the pink DK24s but that's what's holding me back. For me, ss frets matter because I still haven't found a trustworthy luthier.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
The Aswani sig looks cool, it would be nice to see more SoCal variants with a sculpted heel.
I would have stuck with a Floyd over the Wilkinson single-locker, but the mention of underwound A3 humbuckers is interesting. I have a set of A3 lollar tele specials that have a mojo all their own, and I’ve heard a few times that A3 tends to have a particular character, similar to A2 but tighter with a bit less output.

HylianN

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

It's a meme now but all jokes aside, I really think Charvel should do ss frets for their price point, especially when MIJs can be had cheaper. I really like the pink DK24s but that's what's holding me back. For me, ss frets matter because I still haven't found a trustworthy luthier.
I would own an import DK24 right now if they had SS frets. It's a must have after playing with them but until then, I'm holding off. I actually loved how the necks feel on the DK24's as well.

Agalloch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Someone has to say this in any thread here, so thank you for taking one for the team. But FMIC doesn't put SS frets on any model except Fender Ultra Luxe and a few high-end EVH guitars, so you really shouldn't expect it to happen at this point. It's kinda like asking Gibson to start using SS frets. Ain't gonna happen.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Someone has to say this in any thread here, so thank you for taking one for the team. But FMIC doesn't put SS frets on any model except Fender Ultra Luxe and a few high-end EVH guitars, so you really shouldn't expect it to happen at this point. It's kinda like asking Gibson to start using SS frets. Ain't gonna happen.
I could see American Series Jacksons getting them if they expand the line. For an increased price. But yeah, outside of enthusiasts like us here, most people don't care and it's obviously not hurting sales. So, the suits at FMIC aren't going to care any time soon.

Estilo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I would argue Gibson has it in them to also hide behind the 'play original, play authentic, your grandfathers and guitar idols' Les Pauls didn't have stainless steel frets!' line.

Estilo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would own an import DK24 right now if they had SS frets. It's a must have after playing with them but until then, I'm holding off. I actually loved how the necks feel on the DK24's as well.
I think I'm luckier than you guys in this regard, because ss refrets with Jescars cost like USD 80 here. But I hold the view that worksmanship here is inconsistent and the last time I did it to a Burny LP it came back with buzzing all over. When I'm assured though I might just go on a spending binge on potentials-but-didn't-happen-because-nickel-frets.

Agalloch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would argue Gibson has it in them to also hide behind the 'play original, play authentic, your grandfathers and guitar idols' Les Pauls didn't have stainless steel frets!' line.

It's true. And if you bring up SS frets on a place like thegearpage, everyone's like, "bUt wHaT aBoUt tHe toAnZ?" :lol:

Estilo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's true. And if you bring up SS frets on a place like thegearpage, everyone's like, "bUt wHaT aBoUt tHe toAnZ?" :lol:
Boomer blues lawyers are the worst! I refretted a Burny LP with 57110 ss frets, the luthier returned it with buzz all over and even then I feel it's playability improved heaps! That high end bite can be dialed out on the amp. The slickness has zero downsides with all the upsides.

TGP people if they had been alive when the automobile was invented, would have probably insisted on horses and carriages.

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stainless steel frets are a nice feature and I don't really mind it, but honestly, I like that with nickel frets I can easily do my own fretwork. If you send your stuff to a luthier it's a non issue but as an individual, I don't want to buy the tools to deal with it. Perfecting stock fretwork is really nice and worth doing even on relatively expensive guitars.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I just figured that if I like something enough to keep it long term, once it's ready for a level + crown I'll just have it refretted with stainless.

Jescar 57110 ftw.

Fabrice

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like how he was an ESP artist foreeeeeeeeever, got a ton of customs, but never a sig.
He's with Fender for like 1 year and they're like "oh okay here's a sig bro." :lol:

Not really a signature model, but:

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not really a signature model, but:
It's interesting to see his tastes change. Dude was a 24-fret Floyd Rose Superstrat player for the longest time. In the passed 2 years it looks like his tastes changed; I noticed he was playing a custom Strat-style guitar that looks like it would be the precursor to his Charvel sig a few years ago, before his Fender/Charvel endorsement.

And I wonder how effective the Wilkinson saddles are? Definitely not a Floyd killer but you're solving one of the friction spots.

Aaaalso not surprised to see this thread go full SSO with SS fret discourse lol

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
It's interesting to see his tastes change. Dude was a 24-fret Floyd Rose Superstrat player for the longest time. In the passed 2 years it looks like his tastes changed; I noticed he was playing a custom Strat-style guitar that looks like it would be the precursor to his Charvel sig a few years ago, before his Fender/Charvel endorsement.

And I wonder how effective the Wilkinson saddles are? Definitely not a Floyd killer but you're solving one of the friction spots.

Aaaalso not surprised to see this thread go full SSO with SS fret discourse lol
I put together a partscaster with a Wilkinson and roller nut. With that or just a well-lubed nut (har har) tuning stability is pretty damn good.

Boojakki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
... And I wonder how effective the Wilkinson saddles are? Definitely not a Floyd killer but you're solving one of the friction spots. ...
Well, Pete Thorn is a big fan of the Wilkinson WVS 130 Bridge too and it's installed on his actual Suhr signatures. I'm pretty sure I saw him talking about it in one of his videos.
I'm very interested in the Charvel PA28 and can't wait to try one out. Love the specs.