Jackson American Series

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d definitely be interested to put few a MIJ and MIA Jacksons side by side and compare
Well, it wouldn’t be the first time that one of a US company’s import models was considered better than one of their US models. Wouldn’t even be the first time for Fender lol

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I’ll just have to stick with this :shred:

IMGP5661.JPG

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why don't y'all just let people who are loud about expecting better from companies be loud so that y'all can sit quiet and possibly reap some benefits? Who cares if you don't care about SS frets or hard cases, they are objectively better and certainly aren't going to break anyone's bank at these prices

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why don't y'all just let people who are loud about expecting better from companies be loud so that y'all can sit quiet and possibly reap some benefits? Who cares if you don't care about SS frets or hard cases, they are objectively better and certainly aren't going to break anyone's bank at these prices
Stainless frets aren’t objectively better though.

And, apparently, though I share the hard case opinion, there are a decent number of people who’d prefer a soft one. It still feels like cutting corners to me, but they could also include no case, and drop the price by whatever the retail price of that foam core case is.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Y'all are certainly the heros we deserve.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They are, though
Well, considering there’s at least one pro who specifically seeks out softer fretwire, because modern nickel-silver is harder than what they used in the 50s, I think you should consider more parameters than hardness when it comes to fret wire.

SS frets are likely indistinguishable from highly polished nickel silver frets with regard to feel. But nickel silver loses its polish somewhat quickly, and very few people go through the effort to keep their nickel silver frets constantly polished to a mirror shine. This means there’s a feel difference. Both will feel glass smooth when highly polished, but SS will keep that polish seemingly forever. Most players can probably adjust to it, but if you have a bunch of guitars, and only one with SS, it’s probably going to always feel a little off.

This is the same story as fret size. Are bigger frets objectively better than smaller frets? If so, why is the YJM signature strat like the only guitar shipping with 58118 wire instead of the more common 57110? Why did EVH and Randy Rhoads prefer the vintage-size small frets (43080)?

These are musical instruments. Everything is subjective.

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, considering there’s at least one pro who specifically seeks out softer fretwire, because modern nickel-silver is harder than what they used in the 50s, I think you should consider more parameters than hardness when it comes to fret wire.

SS frets are likely indistinguishable from highly polished nickel silver frets with regard to feel. But nickel silver loses its polish somewhat quickly, and very few people go through the effort to keep their nickel silver frets constantly polished to a mirror shine. This means there’s a feel difference. Both will feel glass smooth when highly polished, but SS will keep that polish seemingly forever. Most players can probably adjust to it, but if you have a bunch of guitars, and only one with SS, it’s probably going to always feel a little off.

This is the same story as fret size. Are bigger frets objectively better than smaller frets? If so, why is the YJM signature strat like the only guitar shipping with 58118 wire instead of the more common 57110? Why did EVH and Randy Rhoads prefer the vintage-size small frets (43080)?

These are musical instruments. Everything is subjective.
I've never heard anyone bitch about having frets that stay nice forever. I have, however, seen plenty of people seeking reputable techs to maintain or change frets. This may involve shipping off your guitar if no one is around you and paying hundreds of dollars. If the guitar is cheap, this sucks even more. Stainless should be the new standard, especially on high end guitars... I dont care where they are made. Granted i will still buy a guitar with nickel frets as i personally don't wear them down much, i still expect better from companies. 50s fenders are great investments and history pieces, but it ain't the 50s anymore. Stainless all around

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because when guitars are being built to price points, I'd prefer better build quality than higher specs. At the high end, sure, I want all those things. But when a line exists to hit a certain price, those are the exact things I'd rather them cut instead of QC checks and things like that. I don't think some of you guys understand how these margins work, like when the cost comparison of a 1000 and OFR come up. Even on things like cars, which are exponentially more expensive than guitars, designers have to fight for a few cents on things like switchgear materials. It sucks, but I'd rather have a great transmission than a crystal shifter.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never heard anyone bitch about having frets that stay nice forever. I have, however, seen plenty of people seeking reputable techs to maintain or change frets. This may involve shipping off your guitar if no one is around you and paying hundreds of dollars. If the guitar is cheap, this sucks even more. Stainless should be the new standard, especially on high end guitars... I dont care where they are made. Granted i will still buy a guitar with nickel frets as i personally don't wear them down much, i still expect better from companies. 50s fenders are great investments and history pieces, but it ain't the 50s anymore. Stainless all around
Not everyone thinks that highly polished feel is “nice” though. Also, if your guitar is cheap, it comes with cheap wire anyway (there’s good and bad nickel-silver, just like there’s good and bad stainless), and likely isn’t leveled or crowned very well at the factory anyway. I had two of my sub-$500 guitars leveled, crowned, and polished ($110 each), and it was night and day. Infinitely better than they were brand new.

As for it not being the 50s anymore, you’re right. But I’m really glad that Fender builds guitars with six screw bridges, bent steel saddles, and true single coils. Because real 50s strats are expensive as hell, and I’d hate to be forced to buy one because Fender wants to tell me two point bridges, noiseless pickups, and cast saddles are objectively better.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
FWIW I definitely fall into the category that SS frets are just objectively better. I don't know the cost difference though. Presumably because it's a harder material it would wear tools faster.

As for the case, eh. IMHO it's much more convenient to travel with a guitar in a bag. I suppose the case maybe offers more protection (?) but it's not like I want the case slamming into things either and the larger, heavier case actually makes it more likely to happen IME. Can't wear a case over my shoulder or on my back.

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
FWIW I definitely fall into the category that SS frets are just objectively better. I don't know the cost difference though. Presumably because it's a harder material it would wear tools faster.

As for the case, eh. IMHO it's much more convenient to travel with a guitar in a bag. I suppose the case maybe offers more protection (?) but it's not like I want the case slamming into things either and the larger, heavier case actually makes it more likely to happen IME. Can't wear a case over my shoulder or on my back.
I get there are reasons to like/use gig bags. Peeps saying they protect BETTER or equally in most instances are just plain wrong though. But my issue is with a high end guitar, they should ship the best product they can. Soft cases is them cutting costs