It's official, a """Pantera reunion""" is happening.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Or how about The Doors?

:scratch:

This is a pointless exercise. And I'm a huge fan of the original Pantera. Thanks for keeping Metal alive during some lean, terrible years!!!

I think the Doors is good to rbing up. They tried to continue with out Morrison and it was apparently so bad they broke up the band not long after.

warhead

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All you guys mentioning different "possible" reunions in jest are all mentioning bands who's singers are dead, right? It makes all the difference in the world to most of the people.

alex_x

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess they/we mean Dime's charisma and presence were as important as vocalists', don't you think he was kinda co-frontman in Pantera, just like Van Halen?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess they/we mean Dime's charisma and presence were as important as vocalists', don't you think he was kinda co-frontman in Pantera, just like Van Halen?
Key members of bands that just happen to be singers. In Pantera, the key members just happen to be the guitarist, drummer, and singer.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Who is the most important member of a band to fans is different for every band and every fan. I agree that the doors without Jim Morrison is pointless but Deep Purple continues to tour (and quite successfully) without its two most important members as far as it sound goes, Richie Blackmore and Jon Lord so there is no formula or metric that measures at what point a band's loss of members means the band is no longer viable. To me Pantera will never feel like Pantera without Dime but it may still be quite viable to many especially since there seems to be such a thirst for legacy acts while simultaneously acknowledging that it is nearly impossible to have key members still in the fold

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just really hope Phil is practicing. He sounded like dog shit live in the later Pantera years.
He can barely talk for fuck's sake. There is no way that he'll sound at all decent. They recently did a Pantera tribute set (I dreaded where that was going) and Phil sounded like ass.

alex_x

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cmon guys, be objective, he got much better than in mid 10s, of course not as good as in 90s.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cmon guys, be objective, he got much better than in mid 10s, of course not as good as in 90s.
I was gonna say, he was about 75% or a little better when he was opening for Slayer's last big one. Granted, he seemed to mostly be sober at the time too, which seems rare.

Riffer

Reaction score

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's Zakk Wylde. Obviously he's no slouch and can play. But he's learning Pantera songs not just some 3 chord cover band songs with an easy bridge turn around and no solos. Zakk learned all that Randy stuff which isn't a walk in the park but it's still not Dime's riffs/solos. Some of the Pantera riffs can be a little trickier then they sound and the solos too. I don't want to hear his "version" of the song. I want him to nail it which I'm not sure he will be able to do. Will he be close? Probably. But having pinch harmonics everywhere and having the solos be "mostly" correct are not what I'm into. If this is suppose to be a tribute then play the songs right. In the video below when he's done "I'm Broken", the solo is mostly correct but the timing is a little off in spots and some phrasing isn't right. Nit-picky, I know, but as a huge Dime fan I don't want to hear that. Maybe I'm wrong and he learns it note for note. It's not like he has to learn Dream Theater or Animals As Leaders songs.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's Zakk Wylde. Obviously he's no slouch and can play. But he's learning Pantera songs not just some 3 chord cover band songs with an easy bridge turn around and no solos. Zakk learned all that Randy stuff which isn't a walk in the park but it's still not Dime's riffs/solos. Some of the Pantera riffs can be a little trickier then they sound and the solos too. I don't want to hear his "version" of the song. I want him to nail it which I'm not sure he will be able to do. Will he be close? Probably. But having pinch harmonics everywhere and having the solos be "mostly" correct are not what I'm into. If this is suppose to be a tribute then play the songs right. In the video below when he's done "I'm Broken", the solo is mostly correct but the timing is a little off in spots and some phrasing isn't right. Nit-picky, I know, but as a huge Dime fan I don't want to hear that. Maybe I'm wrong and he learns it note for note. It's not like he has to learn Dream Theater or Animals As Leaders songs.

Phil hasn't got enough breath to get the full timing of each little line in lots of places there, then does the typical "struggling to sing, so i'll get the crowd to do it". This is basically what "Pantera" is gonna be. A guitarist that's not quite playing the songs properly, with a completely burnt out vocalist.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score

Latest posts