Is this a potential neck reset?

animalwithin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a 10 year old Schecter Dan Donegan Ultra from Guitar Center last week and with a lot of elbow grease, I cleaned her all up and slapped on some new strings.

I managed to get the action to what was acceptable but unfortunately I had zero relief in the neck and had major buzzing in the first few frets upon fretting the strings.

So I went back to the truss rod and introduced a smidge of relief which took care of the buzzing. But now have some problems:

-Problem 1: Action is too high for my liking. I'm at 2mm on both the high and low e strings, I'd like to at least get the high e no more than 1.5mm
-Problem 2: The bridge is at it's lowest level
-Problem 3: Buzzing all over the place, specifically on the lower strings

What is the issue here? Is possible a neck resent needed?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Buzzing on the low frets could also indicate you need a new nut or to shim the current one. Fret the third fret on a problem string and then check the string at the first fret. Generally speaking the string and first fret should not be touching when you do this, if they are it may indicate the nut is cut too deeply.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, either raise the nut or shim the neck. But, whatever you do, don’t drag your feet on this. GC is the go-to place for people to dump their janky instruments, because no one checks them. I’d make sure there’s not a neck warp, twist, etc. You don’t want to discover after the return window that it’s unsalvageable.

animalwithin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This guitar is a neck-thru so a neck shim is out of the question.

With respect to the nut, it is not glued in so it pops off when the strings are not on, but as it is right now, the strings have it clamped down in place.

I've had the guitar for a week so I've got some time to decided whether or not I want to keep it, but a nut shim is beyond my setup competence, I would need to take it to a tech but given that the guitar is a neck-thru and assuming the neck isn't warped/twisted (still have to confirm this) I'm assuming a nut shim is my only option.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
If it is neck-through construction, a neck reset is going to involve cutting apart the entire guitar.

Pictures speak a lot, but chances are that it really just needs a good fret level and setup.

There are a lot of details you have missing though. Are you tuning it down? Did you change string gauge? What bridge is on the guitar?

Since the guitar was purchased used, did you acclimate it to an area with 50% humidity? Are frets lifting due to the former owner letting it get too dry in the winter?

There are a lot of things to evaluate that are best left to a guitar tech with the guitar in hand.

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to get the frets levelled. And that TOM bridge can always be lowered if it's just 1mm you're looking about. Worst case, you just file deeper grooves in the bridge saddles.

animalwithin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions!

To answer answer your questions @Grindspine

-Standard tuning
-I did change string gauge (I'm using 11s, mostly likely there were 9s or maybe 10s on it prior)
-Tonepros tunomatic bridge
-I did not acclimate to a specific humidity. This is an area of "guitarsmanship" that I need to get educated on
-No fret lifting that I can see but as @Lemonbaby mentioned, I suspect a good amount of fret-leveling is in order

I think I'm going to take it in to a tech just to be safe before I decided whether it's a dud or can be salvaged since I'm definitely no expert.

animalwithin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here are some photos I took of the neck at different angles as well as the bridge, pickups, and nut. Not sure how valuable these are with respect to diagnosing neck integrity but who knows.

Two things to note:

-The bushings for the bridge do not sit all the way down into the body but they're close. Not sure how this would influence the overall setup, but the gap isn't large enough to provide a meaningful change in action should they be fully pushed down
-The nut is loose and definitely needs to be glued in. It's currently sitting with a gap between the fretboard

IMG_9643.JPG IMG_9645.JPG IMG_9646.JPG IMG_9647.jpg IMG_9648.jpg IMG_9649.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9650.JPG
    IMG_9650.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9651.JPG
    IMG_9651.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9652.JPG
    IMG_9652.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9653.JPG