Is 28,625 acceptable for a 9-string guitar?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Xfing, Feb 1, 2019.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Is that a Strandberg? Can I have it?

2. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

Does it sound pretty sweet? I'd like to hear it and try it. That sounds way too light but I'm interested.

3. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

I don't have finished songs yet. I just exported random stuff from the songwriting project.
    Note that this is just songwriting. I didn't bother with propper playing, the strings are over one year old and the amp is good old shitty guitar rig 5.
    It sounds really good and incredibly heavy throug my 6505 though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okeh5d2ij442dq0/demo4.mp3?dl=0

I just remembered an issue that I had with the low tension:
    The sustain on palm mutes can suffer a lot when you press your palm too hard on the bridge. You can clearly hear this in this snipped. I would wish for more blooming palm mutes there. So I will have to release the palm pressure a bit when I record the songs.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    GunpointMetal likes this.
  4. Djentlover666

Didn't sound bad or loose.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

We need someone to take a bullet for the betterment of us all, and get a bunch of strings from kalium, then tune a 27, 28, 28.625, 29, and 30” to C#1. What I’ve found is the length of the string starts requiring extra tension when it gets longer, requiring an even fatter string than you would normally get. Like on a bass, you need to ratchet up the tension, otherwise the flexibility ends up biting you in the ass, and you need higher tension just to compensate. My sense is that the happy medium is somewhere between 28 and 30” for C#1, but I haven’t tuned anything shorter than 30” that low.

6. Djentlover666

It's a little light, but .080 works on 28.625 down to c. But an .085 might be better. If a person wants to go lower, get a .090

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Interesting. I like a .090” at 30”. I’m by no means a “high tension” guy, too, so maybe it has close to the same feel at both lengths?

8. Djentlover666

I agree. I use a .090 for my 9 string 30 inch scale, but I mess with tunings alot and I usually don't go lower that D (usually EAEADGBE) on my 8 string 28 inch scale I was just saying that .080 isn't the worst at C on 28 inches. I'm learning that I dont need this strings to tune low. I can handle .090 at 30 inches down to A but I'm going to try a .092 because I want to see these tapered at both ends strings labella makes.

Hollowway likes this.