Inflation and gear prices

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
You think thats bad, you should've seen the GPU market..
I built a gaming computer mere days before the pandemic hit here and everything went in lockdown mode. The GPU I had bought doubled in price shortly after. Yeah, GPU prices have been straight up ridiculous the last 2 years :lol:

Seems like they are starting to drop a little bit again though?

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I built a gaming computer mere days before the pandemic hit here and everything went in lockdown mode. The GPU I had bought doubled in price shortly after. Yeah, GPU prices have been straight up ridiculous the last 2 years :lol:

Yeah they're back to normal now, and in stock usually

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Wasn't that all about demand from crypto miners though?

Guitarist_Dad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The biggest one I've seen is the Jackson PC1, BC (before Covid) it was $3299, so not a cheap guitar, AD (after Donald) prices are $4899, substantial jump in 1 year (by this BC/AD calendar 2020 never existed).
Yes, I finally put in an order for a PC1 right before the price increase and was even able to get it discounted to $2800. I’d been wanting one since they first came out & paid up despite $2800 still seeming like a lot at the time. It took a year until I received it in October 2021 & it is a great guitar, but no way would I ever pay $4899 for it. I’m happy I put in my order when I did.

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
The used market is already crashing. A year ago you could sell whatever you had for whatever you wanted and someone would buy it. The guitars I follow on Reverb are starting to sit for months at a time and finally sell low after the seller drops the price.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The used market is already crashing. A year ago you could sell whatever you had for whatever you wanted and someone would buy it. The guitars I follow on Reverb are starting to sit for months at a time and finally sell low after the seller drops the price.

I just want to stop seeing ads for beat to shit 90s RGs with deep neck pocket cracks and chips everywhere priced over $1000 (Canada dollars) - They simply aren't "that level" of instrument anymore IMO due to condition, and the ones that collectors want that would warrant those prices don't have that kind of damage.

90s RGs already had a "mythical" status on forums when I started playing in 2003 (basically "Get a used 90s RG" was the "Get a used Prestige" of that time from what I remember). Unfortunately for us now, I recall those RGs being on eBay for like $300 in good condition or just at local independent stores (Another thing that's disappeared where I am) for even less sometimes.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just want to stop seeing ads for beat to shit 90s RGs with deep neck pocket cracks and chips everywhere priced over $1000 (Canada dollars) - They simply aren't "that level" of instrument anymore IMO due to condition, and the ones that collectors want that would warrant those prices don't have that kind of damage.

90s RGs already had a "mythical" status on forums when I started playing in 2003 (basically "Get a used 90s RG" was the "Get a used Prestige" of that time from what I remember). Unfortunately for us now, I recall those RGs being on eBay for like $300 in good condition or just at local independent stores (Another thing that's disappeared where I am) for even less sometimes.
I've been down the "get a used Prestige" route multiple times (despite people telling me I'd be better off paying circa £100 less for a trashed old RG550) and could now sell them for considerably more than I paid...and in some cases for more than they originally retailed for new.

I now feel embarrassed that in 2017 I thought £550 was too much to spend on a mint condition RG2550Z, because they were available for £400ish when I'd bought my previous guitar a few years earlier. Luckily I bought it anyway. :)

My most satisfying purchase, in retrospect, was a pair of discontinued Prestige RGs that I bought new (but had been hanging around unsold in a store / warehouse for years) in a stock clearance during the first summer of the pandemic. About six months later, in the wake of COVID & Brexit, the same models in "good" condition were selling used for more than I'd paid for mine new.
For context, the two combined cost slightly less than an RG5170 currently retails for.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right? You have to figure there's another brand split coming, since "affordable" is not really a thing for the top-line LTDs. Jackson is just as bad.

There's a reason the big brands have been plugging the heck out of the cheaper ranges, they need to build up that brand equity. The Jackson JS series, LTD "Metal", Ibanez GIO and AZES, etc. are all the cheap stuff being sold as "not cheap", but with euphemisms like "simplified", "essential", "just what you need", "stripped down", etc.

Luxury items like this sell equally on perceptions around brand and spec sheets.

There is no future in trying to make the "good stuff" cheap. It's all about making the "cheap stuff" good. So we'll get GIOs and JSs with fancy finishes and similar dress to more expensive guitars, vs. more basic versions of higher tier.

I can honestly see some of the mid-high tier stuff disappear, like E-II or Ibanez Genesis/J.Line. They've done it before, they can certainly do it again if the economics aren't ideal.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Unbelievably I have seen several LTD JH200 (obviously used) sell for over $1200....$1200 for a guitar that should be $200 all day long. Used JH600s used to sell for around $500-$600 used recently. And I see Epiphones, a brand I love, asking prices of over $1000 for guitars that 3-4 years ago sold for $300. How are entry level guitars this out of whack?

I love my JH200 and I sunk more into it in upgrades than it deserves but even though it is fun to play it is a cheaply made budget guitar on par with say an Ibanez RG220 and anyone who spends prestige kind of money on one is a fool

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's a reason the big brands have been plugging the heck out of the cheaper ranges, they need to build up that brand equity. The Jackson JS series, LTD "Metal", Ibanez GIO and AZES, etc. are all the cheap stuff being sold as "not cheap", but with euphemisms like "simplified", "essential", "just what you need", "stripped down", etc.

Luxury items like this sell equally on perceptions around brand and spec sheets.

There is no future in trying to make the "good stuff" cheap. It's all about making the "cheap stuff" good. So we'll get GIOs and JSs with fancy finishes and similar dress to more expensive guitars, vs. more basic versions of higher tier.

I can honestly see some of the mid-high tier stuff disappear, like E-II or Ibanez Genesis/J.Line. They've done it before, they can certainly do it again if the economics aren't ideal.

Well, making a stripped-down cheapened but decent metal axe is pretty easy

Neck from a proper guitar, single bridge hum, 6 saddles in an ashtray type hardtail, matte/fotoflame/plain wood boody.

Can pretty much shave half or more off the cost of everything that isn't the neck

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Right? You have to figure there's another brand split coming, since "affordable" is not really a thing for the top-line LTDs. Jackson is just as bad.

Since ESP ended up as E-II, new brand will ikely be L-II. Alternatives are, er, LTD² ? L2D ? LTDII ? LTD-not-elite ?

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I did the same, although while COVID first hit. I made a Ryzen 5 3600 + GTX 1650 (stock, there wasn't an OC version then) and the goods. Ended up spending around 340 bucks for the whole thing. If i'd try that today, it'd be somewhere north of about 7-800 clams. Fucking stupid.