In honor of the fallen "First guitars"

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum to post this, if it's not, mods feel free to move or delete this post.

Earlier today I was remembering my first guitar, a starter pack Strat-shaped "Starcaster" by Fender. That guitar opened my mind to the world of music and in many ways laid the foundation of what would later become one of my main hobbies and passions. Not so long after (although at that time it seemed like a lot of time had gone by) my parents decided to buy me another "not so noob" guitar. In retrospective, being a kid in middle school I choose one of the poorest options, a BC Rich Warlock Revenge. Which coincidentally triggered my mind into making this post while I was reading the discussion on wether "is BCR dead" or not thread.

After some time, and me foolishly thinking that I was growing out of guitar playing, I gave (sold, albeit at a very symbolic price) both guitars to one of my younger cousins. With the hidden hope to maybe revisit those guitars again when the time was correct. After a number of issues my family had, those guitars were left in a place no longer accessible to me or my cousins. With an unknown fate and probably doomed to collect dust and wrap until being rendered useless.

I found myself really wanting to revisit those guitars, they were of course crap and probably not worth rescuing anyways, but it made me feel sad that however bad those could be, they carried a sentimental value that I did not foresaw them having. I kind of feel like I let them go too easy and that they are an irreplaceable part of my collection now.

I also know that many people here in SSO are against such collecting of guitars and may find my story banal and meaningless but I would like anyway for any other members who have lost their first guitars (or any guitar for that matter) to share their experiences in this post.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have lost my first guitar (gave it to a girlfriend) but I don't feel sorry for losing that one as it was one of those "strat-shaped" pieces of shit BUT I keep my second guitar, the "first good one": a LTD EX100. I still have it and yes, it's true right now "she" doesn't have strings or pickups on BUT I was playing and rehearsing with it less than a year ago and I keep playing it from year to year a few times at least... it was made in 2001 I believe and bought in 2002 if I recall right.

It's still beautiful and, probably, the greatest neck I have ever played: even better than my EVH (which is my main guitar now but mainly because of the body shape)

Demiurge

Intrepid Jackass
Reaction score
I guess I should feel bad about not being sentimental for my first electric guitar. It was a red Suzuki strat copy- I think I paid $179 for it back when cheap guitars that played above their price point were rare. It was a mediocre guitar, and I ended up trading it in towards a Jay Turser SG copy after a few years, feeling no guilt.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
I guess I should feel bad about not being sentimental for my first electric guitar. It was a red Suzuki strat copy- I think I paid $179 for it back when cheap guitars that played above their price point were rare. It was a mediocre guitar, and I ended up trading it in towards a Jay Turser SG copy after a few years, feeling no guilt.
I don't think you should feel bad at all! We are always looking for better options, it's totally understandable that not everybody bonds with a guitar only for its sentimental value.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
@RiksRiks cool bro... I was not trying to down on your collection, just that collecting low end guitars doesn't mean not owning high end ones... My first guitar was as an Admira Juanita, a low end classical guitar, which sits at my sister's home. Then, a year later I got my first electric from Kaman (the mother brand that owns Digitech and other known brands). It was a kind of nice guitar, HSS with on/off switches for each pickup, so it allowed for some variety... truth be told, I didn't care much about it then. I traded it later on for an wedge powered speaker from Laney to pair another I already had... and those are still with me, I don't miss the guitar. However, my second guitar is still with me, an Ibanez S540, made in 1993 and bought in 1995 in the last day of a local shop. Every time I remember the guitars I saw there I byte myself. Remember those swirled universes? yeah, those were for sale there with discount prices, about 30% off...

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
im very fortunate to have my first guitar....a cheap sears catalog cort effector (explorer clone) i got for my 16th birthday. it sits in my mancave/music room waiting for the day i planned years ago to refinish and put it back together lol.

my younger brothers first guitar however, i wish i had. it was another cheap sears (unbranded) guitar that looked similar to gus g's. he gave up learning to play about a month after getting it and i it took over. after i moved out, i left it at my parents since it technically belonged to him. he ended up selling it to a friend who in turn pawned it, and lost it. we lost track of it after that.

about 15 years later i came across it at a music store for $400. i was excited to see it again, but i told myself at the time i wasn't gonna pay that much for a guitar that cost $140 new, so i left without it. nostalgia kicked in and thought money wasn't the issue so i thought id go back and talk them down and pay whatever to have a piece of the old childhood history back again.

guess what? ....someone bought lol

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Both of my first guitars were ruined in a flood. A Squire Affinity Fat Strat and an LTD EC-50. Wish I still had them both. Were actually really nice-sounding guitars.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've researched as much info as I could on my first guitar, that i had fondly remembered for years after I got rid of it...but it turns out that the guitar was actually quite the piece of crap and i just didn't know better. 25 years after owning it, i had a plan to find one and by it...but it sounds like it would just be a source of frustration.

vjsm6ih4ggqckktreqpk.jpg

edit: i just noticed that this GTX 33 (from Kaman, I believe owned by Ovation") has a humbucker that has the 2+1 mounting screws like Carvin humbuckers...weird...

yuri_1973

Romantic Shredder
Reaction score
My first guitar, a Westone Thunder, fixed bridge bolt-on, brass nut, active circuit ... didn't like it much, specially the looks back in '89 when all I listened to was shred and heavy metal. I think I gave/sold it back to my parent's friend who had a music shop and sourced it to me to learn.

The I got my japanese Charvel Fusion Custom in Desert Crackle finish ... really loved it and used it through many years as my only guitar (along with a crappy Washburn amp), sold it not long ago (past year), by the time I already had over 15 guitars at home.

I don't regret selling any of those two, although I may in the future, as I'm a sentimental guy, and the Charvel has lots of memories, ..... just had several other guitars that played and sounded waaaay better, and with that Charvel I didn't quite succeed in having a good setup.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think it is/was the other way, Ovation owned by Kaman...

Ohh, of course. That makes sense, and I think i somehow knew that but forgot.

Looking at it with fresh eyes, it almost looks like a body shape that Agile might have come up with 3 years ago, but I had this in the 90s.

It wasn't technically my "first" guitar, as i started with a classical, then a Hamer, then a strat knock-off...but those were all rentals. This was the first guitar I owned (that my parents bought).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
RIP to my Ibanez GAX70

In hindsight, the body isn't a terrible design or anything, I actually think if they did a high tier AX model I'd pick one up; but the neck on mine just left a lot to be desired, and overall felt cheap; a 400 series AX - in my zero business savvy brain - has the potential to do well if they did it in similar colors as the 120, just up the overall quality of the components and market it for what it is: a simple workhorse guitar.

In a dream world, if I had access to the LACS, I'd try and get them to do a goldtop version - black open pole pickups, gold top hat knobs, a real nice piece of rosewood for the fretboard? :yum:

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
im very fortunate to have my first guitar....a cheap sears catalog cort effector (explorer clone) i got for my 16th birthday. it sits in my mancave/music room waiting for the day i planned years ago to refinish and put it back together lol.

my younger brothers first guitar however, i wish i had. it was another cheap sears (unbranded) guitar that looked similar to gus g's. he gave up learning to play about a month after getting it and i it took over. after i moved out, i left it at my parents since it technically belonged to him. he ended up selling it to a friend who in turn pawned it, and lost it. we lost track of it after that.

about 15 years later i came across it at a music store for $400. i was excited to see it again, but i told myself at the time i wasn't gonna pay that much for a guitar that cost $140 new, so i left without it. nostalgia kicked in and thought money wasn't the issue so i thought id go back and talk them down and pay whatever to have a piece of the old childhood history back again.

guess what? ....someone bought lol

If you stumbled upon it again would you buy it? It's kind of a weird situation to put a price to our nostalgia I think. I don't know how much I would pay for my first guitars...

Both of my first guitars were ruined in a flood. A Squire Affinity Fat Strat and an LTD EC-50. Wish I still had them both. Were actually really nice-sounding guitars.

That sucks dude, I really hope it was just material losses though.

I've researched as much info as I could on my first guitar, that i had fondly remembered for years after I got rid of it...but it turns out that the guitar was actually quite the piece of crap and i just didn't know better. 25 years after owning it, i had a plan to find one and by it...but it sounds like it would just be a source of frustration.

vjsm6ih4ggqckktreqpk.jpg

edit: i just noticed that this GTX 33 (from Kaman, I believe owned by Ovation") has a humbucker that has the 2+1 mounting screws like Carvin humbuckers...weird...

It's funny when you realize what a piece of crap you were used to play, but then it makes the effort more valuable :cheers:

My first guitar, a Westone Thunder, fixed bridge bolt-on, brass nut, active circuit ... didn't like it much, specially the looks back in '89 when all I listened to was shred and heavy metal. I think I gave/sold it back to my parent's friend who had a music shop and sourced it to me to learn.

The I got my japanese Charvel Fusion Custom in Desert Crackle finish ... really loved it and used it through many years as my only guitar (along with a crappy Washburn amp), sold it not long ago (past year), by the time I already had over 15 guitars at home.

I don't regret selling any of those two, although I may in the future, as I'm a sentimental guy, and the Charvel has lots of memories, ..... just had several other guitars that played and sounded waaaay better, and with that Charvel I didn't quite succeed in having a good setup.

To be honest, it didn't hit me immediately that I'd miss those guitars, turns out now they seem like a part of my guitar playing history that will be missing a physical evidence...

NeglectedField

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My first axe was a Hohner Rockwood mini-Strat. Couldn't stay in tune but when I got it on Xmas Day when I was 7 (I think) it was a great day. I remember the shiny black and the new guitar smell. Think my old man decided it was unsuitable to learn on so we flogged it to some kid.

A-Branger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
my first guitar wasnt a guitaer, more of a bass

ibanez-sr300dx-17938.jpg

Ibanez SR300dx (1999-ish)

I already had some time playing bass with some borrowed shit rusted high mile action bass, so I already knew I was gonna stick with the instrument and I asked to my folks with something a bit nicer to sart with. I had a bit of money saved. I originally wanted a lower model, but since the pic I sent to my folks was a "blue Ibanez bass", then they gave me a "blue Ibanez bass" lol, so they pay for the rest

Best begginer bass ever by miles compared to every single friend/band I come across. And the bass I have with the lowest action ever

I still got it, but its sitting at my folks place back in my country, so its hard for me to get it back. LAst time they traveled I ask them to bring me my guitar instead.

Sadly I never use it once I made the switch to 5 strings 2-3 years after I got it. I was playing 5 string stuff so I didnt wanted to "go back"..... but I didnt knew about alternate tunnings. Looking back I should had tunned to drop B just to play Mudvayne songs, as I was reaaaaaally into that band, into slap, and I couldnt play it with my 5 :( shame on young me

as for guitar, my first was

_c713424_image_0.jpg

LTD F-50 (2004/5-ish)

not my photo, but cant find a stock pic of mine which is with the black hardware and black headstock

amazing guitar for 200$

still got it. Curently wiht the Het-set EMGs with chrome covers which looks siiick

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score

vjsm6ih4ggqckktreqpk.jpg

Hey, i can relate! Mine was an Applause GTX-22 in all black. Kaman->Ovation->Applause. All the same. I miss mine!