IK Multimedia TOnex? THoughts?

Phobos//Deimos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So my make or break for amp sim is the palm mute tails. If I hold a palm mute for a free notes and instead of just a nice bloom the amp sim produces a rise of noise between 3 and 6 K then it’s pretty much a deal breaker. Tonex (and the rest of IK amp Sims) have that weird staticy tail.

Other Sims that I have found that do the same thing are Nalex and Mercuriall. But the ML Sounds and Aurora DSP sims seem to have a really good palm mute bloom. End tangent.

vertibration

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So my make or break for amp sim is the palm mute tails. If I hold a palm mute for a free notes and instead of just a nice bloom the amp sim produces a rise of noise between 3 and 6 K then it’s pretty much a deal breaker. Tonex (and the rest of IK amp Sims) have that weird staticy tail.

Other Sims that I have found that do the same thing are Nalex and Mercuriall. But the ML Sounds and Aurora DSP sims seem to have a really good palm mute bloom. End tangent.
good point for sure.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Looks like it has a lot of features for in-depth editing.

I can’t understand why Kemper never expanded on their product. So many companies have jumped on the gap they left in the market.

jaco815

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All of the tests I've seen so far show that it is the most accurate to the target amp compared to QC and Kemper. I know it feels great to play through and the tones I get from it are incredible. It is the first amp model/profile I've heard that has that low end "purr" on palm mutes. Also, the ToneNet exchange is fantastic (over 4000 profiles at the moment) and I was able to avoid a Black Friday purchase because I have new awesome amp tones available to play with everyday.

vertibration

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wanna retract my previous statement. Tonex is sick. I just found out you can import 3rd party presets from Choptones, or others in the free tonex version and it doesnt affect your free download count restriction, so you can essentially import as many presets as you want from lets say Choptones without any issues

This is way, way, way better than anything else out there. My first reaction was from using shitty user uploads. Once I disabled the cab section, and used celestion IR's, everything sounded amazing

vertibration

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also, this dude is selling some good tonex presets that load into the free tonex plugin version

Its pretty good, I picked it up

Phobos//Deimos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Alright, what are everyone’s favorite tones from Tonenet? I am just using the free version and don’t want to waste my 20 downloads on crap, ha!

vertibration

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can test them before downloading by just clicking on the preset. I try to purchase them from outside sellers from tonenet. Waiting for Sinmix to release some

Phobos//Deimos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh I know and it’s a fantastic feature! But with the 4 bazillion different models out there I was wondering if y’all had found diamonds in the rough.

vertibration

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
my experience has been not really. I dont know if people are doing it wrong, or only choosing the fast feature rather than the long 2 hour capture feature. Most of the user captures are decent, but when compared to STL Tonehub, its not even close.

The ones I purchased outside of the user sharing feature have been much better. I think its because these are people who are prepared to sell quality captures, and not give away a quick five minute capture

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
My take on this. I tried the free version and I think it sounds good but playing through it feels weird, almost unnatural. The response to picking is something different from other modellers and/or VST, but also from traditional amps. The sound is there, so I think you can use it for reamping, but I tried tracking and it is just terrible IMHO.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought it a few weeks back but it was still a bit buggy so I didn’t spend a lot of time with it. I could play for a couple minutes just fine but then it got this crazy latency randomly that kept happening so I figured I’d just wait until they had more bug fixes.

I definitely didn’t have a need for it, but a few of the guys on our forum are really digging it and have been making some pretty good sounding captures, I figure I can just collect those occasionally to make up for the amps I don’t have available in my Fractal stuff.

Experiences tend to vary; I’ve seen everything from “This beats the Kemper and QC” to “This totally blows and I don’t see the point” :lol:

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
I bought it a few weeks back but it was still a bit buggy so I didn’t spend a lot of time with it. I could play for a couple minutes just fine but then it got this crazy latency randomly that kept happening so I figured I’d just wait until they had more bug fixes.

I definitely didn’t have a need for it, but a few of the guys on our forum are really digging it and have been making some pretty good sounding captures, I figure I can just collect those occasionally to make up for the amps I don’t have available in my Fractal stuff.

Experiences tend to vary; I’ve seen everything from “This beats the Kemper and QC” to “This totally blows and I don’t see the point” :lol:

This is exactly why I haven’t gotten it just yet. I’m super happy with everything I’ve got already and am pretty proficient with matching stuff by ear, but more is always more, right? :lol:

Mendel’s videos have been pretty convincing, but so far it seems the market is flooded with a lot of subpar captures. I think eventually we’ll see more from this, but until then I’ll wait…maybe. Maybe I’ll be impulsive.

Phobos//Deimos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I’ I’ve found a few gems in. There’s a couple good neuraldsp captures and one guy named Drewhast has some pretty good stuff.

What’s interesting is that I initially dismissed tonex (really all ik multimedia amp sims) because of the weird high mids noise after palm mutes. Weird, I know, it that matters to me. But there are some captures that don’t have that, so winner!