RG color option?!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
RG3250%20FOR_zpsgxatdk0o.jpg

Hello friends,

I might get a new guitar soon. As you can tell from the pics, it might be orange!

In terms of pickup response I want something a little different than the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo my other existing RG has. I really like that combo. Both pickups sound amazing, and unique.

As a result, I want a different flavour in this new guitar. Having owned TZ/AN in other RGs before, some versatility is welcome!

I am going to be brand loyal for this one and stick with Dimarzios. Paf Pro for the neck for sure. For the bridge, I love the huge sound of the Tone Zone, or Super Distortion. So I'd prefer something that retains that HUGE sound, but not super highoutput like the SD. TZ is perfect, but it's getting redundant. I've considered Breed, Evo 2, something with more harmonics and treble content than the TZ, but without compromising that gnarly sound too much. So how do these pickups handle power chords + solo balance? Any other suggestions?

I'm playing through reasonably ok studio monitors + hd500 (enough for my home setup for now as I am not gigging). But I definitely hear pickup differences. Hence my thread.

RG3250-mod1_zpsntvldwys.jpg

RG3250-mod2_zpsmtrerpnn.jpg

RG3250-mod4_zps6byzwwdn.jpg

RG3250-mod3_zpstzrjolla.jpg

saminator

Do you even praise, bro?
Reaction score
I think you'd like the Evo 2. I've not used the TZ, but I understand it to be big and warm. The Evo 2 has a fairly present, vocal tone, yet not as bright as the Evolution.

Given To Fly

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had an RG with a PAF Joe in the neck position and Evo 2 in the bridge position. First, I should mention I basically chose these pickups at random. I needed a humbucker in the neck and bridge positions and wanted Dimarzio's. These were the first ones to cross my path.

The PAF Joe is basically a PAF Pro with a stupid name. However, the tone control on your guitar has a profound impact on the the PAF Joe; more so than on any other pickup I've ever played. With the tone rolled all the way off the guitar sounds like its running through a wah pedal set to the heel position and left there. The PAF Joe did not change my life, but it was interesting and useful.

The Evo 2 is a unique sounding bridge position humbucker. Dimarzio says "He (Steve Vai) also requested the frequency response in the 4000Hz to 5000Hz range to be reduced slightly compared to the original Evolution® Bridge Model." I immediately noticed this about the Evo 2. I had no idea the 4000Hz-5000Hz frequency range was less responsive but the natural bright character of most bridge pickups was missing. Its not subtle. The lack of high end seemed to bring out the lower mid range more which is what made it sound "unique" to my ears.

Overall, both pickups sounded good and had distinct character. However, I probably will not use either of them again. If you want a bridge pickup with more harmonics and treble content, I would try a standard Evolution bridge humbucker; its the most "harmonically rich" pickup I think I've ever played. :2c:

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for your input on the Evo2 and Paf Joe. I've played a JS with the Paf Joe + Fred. I didn;t like either of them. There was no way I could play anything without sounding like the stereotypical Satch licks. That was my experience though.

The fact that Evo2 cuts off above 4.5 khz worried me. Your comment now dismisses the Evo2 entirely.

Any other suggestions for huge chords and warm lead tone with a little sear? Looking for a hard rock pickup similar to TZ with more high end.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I have an RG that's loaded with a D-Activator bridge and PAF Pro neck and I love it! Power, clarity, definition, and versatility. The PAF Pro is one of my favorite neck pickups ever, and I've recently picked up another one to either put in the neck position of another guitar or experiment with dual PAF Pro's in the same guitar.

The DA may be a little too modern-voiced if you're used to the TZ, but as others have said the Evo 2 would be a good fit as well. I used to have one in the same RG I mentioned, but did not have the PAF Pro at the time. It's a little smoother, has more mids, and a more "hard rock" voice, but can still pull off heavy sounds no problem. I actually kinda miss it haha

As for the color, I'd go with pink pickups and black Strat-style knobs :yesway: or all black everything

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
I had the Paf Pro combo before. I had to sell that guitar unfortunately. It's a very interesting sound on the split position. The neck has this almost spacey quality you don't hear anywhere else. Want that back!

Given to fly mentioned that Evo 2 has a bright cap of sorts around 4.5 khz. I don't want that. I like the high end of the TZ. Maybe I'll go with the TZ/Paf Pro with the Lone Phantom capacitor suggestion.

I'm waiting for the guitar to get here. Should be here next week. RG3250 FOR.

If I just replace the Air Norton, that'll save me all the hassel of deciding on color and just stick with black. Save about $120 there.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
If you want a bridge pickup with more harmonics and treble content, I would try a standard Evolution bridge humbucker; its the most "harmonically rich" pickup I think I've ever played. :2c:

Agreed, one of the main reasons that I chose it as my main bridge pickup, and has remained for about 9 years. It has a relatively flat response according to Dimarzio's graph chart, but it's in that perfect output level that can work with vintage voicings, or drive the front end a bit in high gain applications. It's not too compressed sounding, not too spongy. It's the "Goldilocks" of bridge pickups as far as Dimarzio's lineup goes, in my opinion.