Ibanez M80M appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Velokki, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I just picked mine up again since a couple of months in the case. It had fresh strings on it, which I had not been really played on. Gave it a little tune, and WOW. I know I had completely given it the full Gorgomyte and lemon oil treatment a couple of months earlier, and expected it to be nice... but this is something incredible!
    The neck just plays itself, and tbh, for a weird reason, it almost feels like a neck of a 7 to me. It feels so effortless! It inspires me a lot and I'm writing some fresh stuff. The Lundgren pickup just fits the tonality perfectly and totally crushes it on the tone department.

Even though these guitars are very hit-or miss due to the shoddy QC (especially back in 2015 when I got mine), when you get a good specimen, it's something truly special.

I just think this scale length and type of design is how an 8-string should be. It's massive and menacing, but also simple and effortless. Just needed to share, it almost feels like I just entered a new honeymoon with this one!

I play music likes this.
  2. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Here she is!
    [​IMG]

3. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I can get behind this thread. Love mine. My only gripe is the locking tuner system. I hate it. I removed the string locks, tightened the fine tuners, and have had no tuning issues. Otherwise, it's my favorite guitar.

4. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Nice pic. Very imposing.

Velokki likes this.
  5. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

I'm still on the hunt but these things are all over the place (in reference to quality).

After a year and a half of searching for either a M80M or FTM33 that I was comfortable buying I lucked out with my FTM33, 1 owner who put a lot of money into fixing the guitar from the factory, who is also a hardcore Meshuggah fan and had it set up perfectly with spare parts included... for a steal of a price too! Funny story, I usually draw blanks when testing guitars out so I try to pick a few songs beforehand and commit to testing the guitar with it. This time I picked Dream Theater's Lines in the Sand to start, but as soon as I picked it up, some sort of [insert Meshuggah pun here] had me riffing Bleed and I just couldn't stop!

But of course now that I have one I gotta have the other. There's an open spot on my rack for a M80M and I only hope when I finally get my hands on one that I feel that same way again.

Velokki likes this.
  6. ectoshock

ectoshock SS.org Regular

My M80M is for sale on eBay and Reverb. Bought it from LoudBass Shop in Quebec a few weeks back. Very cool guitar, and even with the longer scale length, more comfortable than any Schecter or esp 8 string I’ve tried. Looking to get my hands on the new Ibanez RGR5220M. Wife says this has to go first. Just throwing it out there if there’s interest.

7. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Omg your headstock is soooo BIG...

I don’t have one but it’s one of the coolest looking guitars.

8. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

I fell on some hard times a while back and sold mine, I miss it very much.

I should buy another one.

9. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I wanted one of these for ages but could never get the funds for one. Now that I have a 27" scale Ibby I'm worried I'll hate the scale length on the M80M.

10. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

I saw a Stoneman Ibanez 808 a while ago, was selling for 1K Euro and disappeared quickly. They seem like cool guitar but the finish makes me reach for the oil.

11. Aliascent

Aliascent SS.org Regular

I had one and I miss it.
    The scale length was fine, comfortable even, and it had a nice clear, tight tone.
    Mine was flawless, just the previous owner slammed the action down without adjusting anything, so the strings were scratching the pickup.

What I miss the most out of that guitar is the Lundgren. I've never had such a pickup before, and still have not found anything equivalent. That growl and those "cold" cleans, that lead voice ...

I can't really play 8 string (never feel totally comfy on them), but I still want another one, or a "M60M".

Velokki likes this.
  12. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

So nice to hear your experiences and opinions! I just love this guitar.

I love the fine tuners. I can't really get it to go out of tune! I love the extra stability this kind of setup provides. How have you come to hate it?

13. mlp187

My personal experience has been the locking system and fine tuners yield no better tuning stability than without them. I dislike the flathead posts, and I hate the intonation screw location. For my purposes, the bridge is an overcomplicated mess. The two things I would change about the m80m is a standard nut and something like a hipshot/gibraltar bridge if not a hipshot itself.
    Having said all that, the other features far outweigh the inconvenience of the bridge.

Velokki likes this.
  14. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Fair enough! I haven't found them to be that inconvenient, but then again, this guitar has been mainly a writing tool /curiosity for me. I haven't used it in demanding or laborous contexts, such as a band practice workhorse, where I'd really discover the bridge's pitfalls.

One thing I've been wondering about, is how this would sound with Fishman Moderns. Carve out a slot for another pickup and put 2 gold covered moderns there. The Lundgren sounds so good that I won't do it, but that could be something else!

mlp187 and setsuna7 like this.
  15. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

No regrets about buying mine. It isn't the most frequently played guitar that I own, but whenever I pick it up it's always hard to put it back down.

That Lundgren pickup is ridiculously good too.

mlp187 and Velokki like this.
  16. mlp187

That would look classy!
    I think it's time to invest in a used m80m for modifications!

17. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

6D08A8F6-9FBC-42C5-9E51-8DB55628E026.jpeg My favorite 8 stringer

18. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

For some reason the thought of putting anything other than a single bridge pickup in an M80M or M8M is tantamount to heresy haha.

Velokki likes this.
  19. Brutal08

Brutal08 SS.org Regular

Bought one 2 months ago and it is simply amazing. It feels like an instrument of its own kind between a bass and a guitar im a bass player so the scale isnt an issue at all and now my c8 is gathering dust!

Velokki likes this.
  20. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

I would love one of these...HNGD!