Ibanez 540PII content (or happy birthday to me a few weeks early)

Jack Secret

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello friends. The prodigal son Jack Secret (or these days I go by GuitarAnthony) back to enthrall you with my latest purchase after a very long dry spell.

Now, A. my birthday isn't until April (also International Guitar Month!) but when something so rare and gorgeous appears just pretend it's your birthday!

B. I also bought a RGR5221 that's dead mint and I didn't have a hardtail anymore so I got that as well. Sucker for orange guitars.

SO...I found this beauty on one of the gear sale sites, chatted up the seller and snagged this girl...

Yes! A 540PII in sunburst that emigrated from Sweden (or at least the guitar shop was in Sweden) to the USA with its owner. Didn't even know Ibanez did sunbursts on these. The guy had it in its case for 25 years only bringing it out recently to get a proper set up and use for studio work. Amazingly, and the axe gods only know how this could happen, there are no cracks in back of the locking nut or in the neck joint. Obviously not the original pickups but that's fine as I have a set to put in if I want to but I do like EMG's so maybe will leave.

I still cannot believe it. Not a single, solitary crack at the neck joint or at the locking nut...on a 30 year old plus Ibanez. This girl is dead mint. I cannot believe my luck. Seller (also original owner) mentioned his father went to Sweden to get him this guitar and it may even had been a limited run, perhaps up to 15 in sunburst done just for this shop. This one completely trumps the red one I had years back.

Attachments

• c9lbyyewoijngl6awdy2.jpg
    c9lbyyewoijngl6awdy2.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 120
  • ytoceezccks2astlxhu6.jpg
    ytoceezccks2astlxhu6.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 116

Sebastian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! Happy birthday guitar!
Sweden you say? I think I saw the ad for this guitar - the seller has a few more 540P's and other great 90's Ibanez guitars

Jack Secret

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! Happy birthday guitar!
Sweden you say? I think I saw the ad for this guitar - the seller has a few more 540P's and other great 90's Ibanez guitars

Nah, this guy only had the one. It was his first guitar and because he switched over to jazz this girl sat in the case for 25 plus years but he was always apprehensive on selling it. He got it set up before selling which is nice cause he didn't have to. Saved me the hassle of doing it myself. Still, glad he sold it. Wasn't cheap but if its as rare as led to believe I made out very well.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and kitchen, damn!

Sebastian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nah, this guy only had the one. It was his first guitar and because he switched over to jazz this girl sat in the case for 25 plus years but he was always apprehensive on selling it. He got it set up before selling which is nice cause he didn't have to. Saved me the hassle of doing it myself. Still, glad he sold it. Wasn't cheap but if its as rare as led to believe I made out very well.
Right! my mistake, these are the Swedish 540's I've seen

Attachments

• 540p.jpg
    540p.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 41

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome! I've always wanted one of those since seeing Scholnick playing a yellow one in the '91 Ibanez catalog, complete with IBZ-UZA F3 bridge pickup. :agreed:

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats - dat finish! The body shape feels like a slightly more unique take on the same superstrat shape everyone does. It makes it feel fresh, and a little evil, which is awesome

DarthV

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a pretty cool 540P! I've been trying to find a birthday guitar for myself, but I don't think there's a single Ibanez Prestige hardtail in stock here in all of Canada!

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Happy Birthday and congratulations on your patience! Have a blast!