Ibanez 2022 discussion.

What model do you want to see this 2022?

• RGA Prestige

Votes: 102 31.2%
  • RGDR Prestige and Axiom Label

Votes: 53 16.2%
  • New Jake Bowen Signature

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • Tesseract Signature

Votes: 44 13.5%
  • S 7 strings with reverse headstock

Votes: 92 28.1%

• Total voters

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The main issue I've heard is that LACS guitars just aren't very well built, in basically every regard, be that woodworking, construction or finish.

The one I played was great, but I thought the finish was sloppy and I bet a Fujigen version would be better. This was completely independent of wear, of which there was almost none.

I've heard the Tosin white LACS wouldn't stay in tune on a UK tour, which seems to go against the function part.

They just lack a certain polish you'd expect on instruments above $1500 to $2000, which realistically, a lot of the LACS stuff feels like.

Not to mention some of the weird specs that artists often ask for, or the rush jobs pushed through to meet a tour or festival date, or last minute changes made for whatever reason.

They feel like prototypes. The first or second stab at a good idea that doesn't quite nail it.

But folks pay $$$$ for them, so they bounce around that circuit due to rarity, uniqueness, artist mojo, and just how few people have any experience with them.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
This short multiscale could be interesting for the A4 range tunings... Kind of a High-end multiscale RGD Mikro... although not for me...
fnt.png
Wait.

What?

That's an unobtainable CS item?

DCM_Allan

Sol Invictus
Reaction score
Artist LACS are either free, at cost, on loan, or offset by "discounts" which can be substantial. Additionally, there are different "tiers" ranging from stock modifications to full builds.

Needless to say, these are significantly more than an artist would pay, even under non-ideal circumstances.

If you track the prices on LACS stuff, consider the artist is usually getting a tidy profit on what are usually $2k to $4k selling prices.

But they're roughly what I expected them to cost, even before I was told the ballpark.

I'd be willing to bet these are better than a lot of the guitars that LACS builds for some artists. Having had several through my bench over the years there's definitely a sort of mythos around them concerning quality.
not exaactly, I have seen some full builds lacs made with great detail, most likely artists that ask for a custom to have them as collections and not for stage purposes,, prices of course may vary, I saw some over 7k and lower as 5k or less, but artist dont pay for them 4194AF24-C3CA-42B3-9A6A-3F7E91F1D744.jpeg

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
fnt.png

I've never seen a two piece resin top like that. Looks awesome. Like a river of jizz, but in a good way.
Cum aside... :ugh::ugh:

The use of transparent resin is kind of a niche thing I've seen relatively often with some of the more popular builders on Instagram, for the last few years. Pretty sure Red Layer Guitars have done a couple, and for sure Stone Wolf and Koca Guitars have done it. Those are just the ones I know off the top of my head.

Never seen it done with koa before though.

I like the looks a lot, but something about it makes me uneasy. I think it's the use of large slabs of different materials together that make me nervous that the whole thing will fall apart (not sure how reasonable that fear is), and also the fact that resin can be heavy as hell.

Last edited:
Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...

The use of transparent resin is kind of a niche thing I've seen relatively often with some of the more popular builders on Instagram, for the last few years. Pretty sure Red Layer Guitars have done a couple, and for sure Stone Wolf and Koca Guitars have done it. Those are just the ones I know of off the top of my head.

I like the looks a lot, but something about it makes me uneasy. I think it's the use of large slabs of different materials together that make me nervous that the whole thing will fall apart (not sure how reasonable that fear is), and also the fact that resin can be heavy as hell.

Red Layer Guitars are dope af... super cool looking and well built instruments...

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Red Layer Guitars are dope af... super cool looking and well built instruments...
Never seen one in person, but the guy does have an artsy eye for design. I really dig the stuff he posts. Gotta say that my favorite one is still the one he built for Fredrik Thordendal.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
Never seen one in person, but the guy does have an artsy eye for design. I really dig the stuff he posts. Gotta say that my favorite one is still the one he built for Fredrik Thordendal.

I never seen one in person as well, but those posted on the webz are super nice with crazy good wood work... visually speaking at least...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’ve had a million PMs today about the prices on these based on Rich’s post. Again, list/msrp are not real prices. The actual prices are a good deal lower. They’re still expensive of course, the guitars will range between 7-12k pretty much — but they’re not anywhere close to MSRP.

Also, the vast vast majority of these guitars will never see the light of day on dealers websites. These are so coveted that they’ll likely sell in private to known collectors the moment it’s known which (if any) we get. Not trying to be negative but I’d just caution against “getting your hopes up”. If you’re interested in something, contact your favorite dealer in advance and ask to get on a waiting list for a particular model. We’ve been doing that with our customers. Im sure Rich has also.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I love the idea of this and how they built so many unique and amazing guitars. I would rock the Pinot Noir 7. Even guitars with spec’s I’d never be interested in are tickling my gas

Pricing is absurd but these are aimed at the guys who pay big bucks for Jems and Universes so they know their demographic.

Seeing the 1 inch fan gives me hope that ibanez do a 25.5 - 26.5 Multiscale in the future. The world needs more 1 inch fans.

Wucan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Love the 24.75 inch scale RGs.
I'd never buy Gibson again and dump my Viper in a hot minute if they made Premium or Prestige variations of these. Common thread for Gibson scale guitars to be either uncomfortable or poorly balanced, simply because it appears to be industry convention to stick as close to Gibson designs as possible.

Also the reason why I just bought a Gibson Victory as my vintage keeper, NGD soon lol

Reaction score
... you need to change your glasses... 😁 just kidding, yes those are the reasons it popped up on my radar...
I do! But it's still a broken rule. Steve owns the rights with Ibanez to all HSH 7 strings, which is why there never are any. I hope they asked him for permission!

So if I like the 17-19mm neck on my 2017 Ibanez and want another one like it I shouldn't consider anything past 2018? That seems crazy to me. How has this not caused riots amongst the Ibanerderati?
Nobody has noticed except a very few. I put a thread on Jemsite long ago about it just so everybody knows. I should put a page on my site. The last few Genesis I actually measured were coming back to the 18-20 range.

The main issue I've heard is that LACS guitars just aren't very well built, in basically every regard, be that woodworking, construction or finish.

The one I played was great, but I thought the finish was sloppy and I bet a Fujigen version would be better. This was completely independent of wear, of which there was almost none.

I've heard the Tosin white LACS wouldn't stay in tune on a UK tour, which seems to go against the function part.
With any instrument, who does the building is key. If you watched the LACS video Tak himself did all the woodwork, Aaron did all the paint, Alex did all the setup/assembly.

but they’re not anywhere close to MSRP.
Slightly backwards, MSRP isn't List, but they would only allow me to post List and not MSRP because dealers can choose to sell for whatever they wish. They only wanted me to post a range of List until I talked them into just letting me post List for all, because when you talk about the jazz boxes the range gets crazy. The reason I begged for permission is so all dealers wouldn't get hammered with tons of "I want that, how much is it" if it's 3 times as much as they think it is. It was too late to get them to post it on their site because it's controlled by Japan.

Good luck getting any, I'll be happy to get even one.
Just take 25% off the MSRP for SMAP no?
No comment, but you've been around the block. I bend a few rules on my site. ;)

AltecGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

The use of transparent resin is kind of a niche thing I've seen relatively often with some of the more popular builders on Instagram, for the last few years. Pretty sure Red Layer Guitars have done a couple, and for sure Stone Wolf and Koca Guitars have done it. Those are just the ones I know off the top of my head.

Ibanez has been doing the resin thing in Japan for many years. I wonder if Sugi didn't do that work since Sugi did a fair amount of resin filled guitars a few years ago.

Here's a Japanese market J. Custom in Koa with Resin.

Here's a S type guitar done in resin. One of three patterns.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Woah... never knew about Vai owning the rights to HSH 7-strings, though i assumed there was some sort of agreement. Wonder when the PIA7 will arrive now that i think of it...

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score
I do! But it's still a broken rule. Steve owns the rights with Ibanez to all HSH 7 strings, which is why there never are any. I hope they asked him for permission!
Really? Wild. What about models like the RG7680/7681, RG1077XL, RG2077XL and RG7CSD2?

(Unless you're being sarcastic, in which case, you got me.)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hi Rich. Yes I am not anticipating getting many myself either, I’m sure there is a ton of competition. But yes in my experience “list” and “msrp” are often used interchangeably, and almost always represent a made up number not reflective of the real “street price”.