Ibanez 2014 NAMM Thread

Lewis_Matthews

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
if only they'd put them in all their trem equipped guitars, and left the rest tight end and the new gibralter for fixed bridge

that could be awesome! and just make a revamp of the edge III for the regular tremoloseries(with a harder material), i have to admit that i liked more the design of the tight end than the gibraltar, that tight end is a very nice redesign of the wilkinson style bridges

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
:yesway:, Loomer.

I've often wondered why some members on this board are anti-basswood/alder and pro-mahogany. For my technique (which is admittedly crappy), mahogany sounds dark and muffled (at least on a full-thickness guitar) but it can work on a thin Saber-style body. I do like that lower-mids though, which sound great for metal rhythms, but not so hot on metal leads. Basswood sounds great for a scooped superstrat tone, but dents fairly easily. It also seems like the paint chips on the edges easily (but that might be more because of the radius that Ibanez puts on their RG series...) Alder has a great bite to it, and the eq is fairly balanced with a mild natural compression. Definitely one of my favorite woods. Pine is great for the snappy Tele sound. I don't have much experience Swamp Ash, but there are many fans of the sound.

Now, of course, each piece of wood is different and will react differently to the electronics and your technique. You might come across a mahogany guitar that is super-bright, or you might find an alder guitar that is dark. I won't write off a mahogany guitar until I play it, but consequently I don't understand why people sneer at alder and basswood (calling it Asswood. Har har, you're funny :rolleyes:) before they try the guitars in question... :shrug:

Bottom-line, Ibanez found a combination that works for them. I'm glad that they're finally branching out with new tone wood combination, but to come into an Ibanez thread and bash them for not offering X, Y, and Z is crazy to me. (this is not directed at you, Loomer.) I love the Strat sound, but I'm not demanding that Ibanez make a SSS-loaded, Alder-bodied, Maple Neck guitar. Even if they did, who knows if it would actually sound like a Fender Stratocaster? My whole point is it's not betrayal to buy guitars from other brands if your current brand doesn't meet your needs. Hell, as an owner of 10+ Ibanez guitars, I might buy a Schecter this year (I never imagined in my life that I would ever say that!). I might even check out some Jackson guitars, based on your suggestion, Loomer. :yesway: (although my J.Custom with the Alder body is the Shit! :scream:)

All in all, 2014 is a great year to be a gear whore!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: It also shows that Ibanez is listening to us, so keep on complaining, brothers!

Oh, I certainly agree with you a great deal of the way; if not on all of it, in fact.

Personally, the only mahogany guitars I feel truly work for me are indeed Sabers. My main seven-string for well over seven years now has been a '99 S7420 which has been modded to hell and back. It has a ceramic BKP War Pig in the bridge position and sounds amazing. The only other mahogany guitar I have in an SG: Another thin-bodied model (relatively speaking, natch) and even a fairly bright-sounding specimen. With that said, the best-sounding guitar I own is still my Swamp Ash Warmoth/Fender hybrid Tele. It's not that my other guitars sound bad, on the contrary, but that Swamp Ash simply blows everything away as far as I'm concerned.

Nevertheless, in terms of Ibanez and Alder, I just found it a bit weird to see them only using that wood on a few of the old GIO's and then essentially not at all, given that it is an easily renewable and inexpensive wood. One or two of the RG's with an Alder body really would be nice, but of course one cannot disregard the fact that Ibanez has a niche and a core audience. Basswood is undeniably their "core sound", as it were, and they do that very well. They have a "thing"; they aren't like Dean who will throw what-the-....-ever at the wall and hope something sticks. I do really, really like the use of Ash with the FR series though; something which makes them very, very attractive to me and my tastes.

In terms of Jacksons, they do make a shitton of Alder-bodied models, such as the DKA7 which is about as close to my dream-specs 7-string a production model has ever gotten. They have a bunch of sixers as well that are spec'd really nicely, if one prefers brighter tonewoods.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Oh, I certainly agree with you a great deal of the way; if not on all of it, in fact.

Personally, the only mahogany guitars I feel truly work for me are indeed Sabers. My main seven-string for well over seven years now has been a '99 S7420 which has been modded to hell and back. It has a ceramic BKP War Pig in the bridge position and sounds amazing. The only other mahogany guitar I have in an SG: Another thin-bodied model (relatively speaking, natch) and even a fairly bright-sounding specimen.

Nevertheless, in terms of Ibanez and Alder, I just found it a bit weird to see them only using that wood on a few of the old GIO's and then essentially not at all, given that it is an easily renewable and inexpensive wood. One or two of the RG's with an Alder body really would be nice, but of course one cannot disregard the fact that Ibanez has a niche and a core audience. Basswood is undeniably their "core sound", as it were, and they do that very well. They have a "thing"; they aren't like Dean who will throw what-the-....-ever at the wall and hope something sticks. I do really, really like the use of Ash with the FR series though; something which makes them very, very attractive to me and my tastes.

In terms of Jacksons, they do make a shitton of Alder-bodied models, such as the DKA7 which is about as close to my dream-specs 7-string a production model has ever gotten. They have a bunch of sixers as well that are spec'd really nicely, if one prefers brighter tonewoods.

They did use alder on the 2012 6-string J Customs, course those are a little pricey of an option if someone wants an alder RG!

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
They did use alder on the 2012 6-string J Customs, course those are a little pricey of an option if someone wants an alder RG!

I know! I got one! (It has an interesting Chevron-ed Maple Top too! I'm never getting rid of that one, even though it has an Edge Zero. Sounds so brutal!!! :shred:)

Estock

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be any love for ash here! The best Ibanez I've ever played was a LACS RG with an ash body with a maple top. Hopefully, that new FR will come be like the previous ash-bodied like the previous prestige model.

Last edited:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be any love for ash here! The best Ibanes I've ever played was a LACS RG with an ash body with a maple top. Hopefully, that new FR will come be like the previous ash-bodied like the previous prestige model.

I have nothing but love for Ash. Dirty, sweaty, wanton love.

You could say I'm an Ash man.

Stephen

Collibus
Reaction score
The only thing I'm unhappy about at the moment is the different guitars released for different regions.

Been told the Blue Iron Label Exotic RG7 isn't available in the UK which I'm a bit unhappy about. So that and the RG2228A in White and the RG1527M are some of the guitars I've wanted but never been able to purchase any of them...

s4tch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just two random notes about the discussion of the last couple of pages:
- Lo-Pro is indeed the best trem Ibanez has ever made. The lack of it kept me away from most recent Prestiges. I haven't considered a new Ibanez in the last 8-10 years (when I bought an RG7321 which wasn't available on the used market back then), but these new 7-string "7620 reissue" models look awesome. I hope Europe will get them (and I'll have the funds).
- My favorite Ibanez models are most probably the MIJ RT-series. RTs have an alder body, and sound huge even with the regular V-series pickups. I'd sell my kidney for a similar 7-string.