Ibanez 2014 NAMM Thread

Matt_D_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Uh, not entirely. There was a brief period when certain S-series Prestige models were manufactured outside of Japan. (Can't remember if it was Indonesia or Korea at the time.)

It was Korea, with a the prestige SZ models ( 4020 and 2020 iirc) being produced in korea. They're pretty lovely guitars.

Matt_D_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
TBH, I'm not that fussed about country of origin. As long as I'm getting the quality that I expect under the "prestige" line, I'm happy. (Woods, hardware, fit/finish).

That being said, you generally get what you pay for. And that applies to staff too, the premium line was pretty good, but the fit and finish was consistently inconsistent...

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I own two premium guitars, a uv70p and an RG1xxv. The only issues I can report were that the freboard edges had been slightly worn in a couple of spots during fret rounding on the RG1XXV, The RG1XXV and the UV70P both had a fret each that had lifted slightly.

zack6

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First off, prestige=japan (have you ever heard ibanez SZ prestige were made in korea?). In no way would ibanez dilute the name. Also, labor is only one factor when you choose your country of production, and in the scheme of things, is only a marginal cost when you look at the whole cost of production. Plus does japan have a minimum wage?From any perspective it's ludicrous to think that ibanez would train and transplant workers from Indo to Japan. Ask yourself, if your employer offered you a job in another country that is more expensive to live in, and without a pay increase, would you go for it?(Without pay increase? which company is stupid enough offered a job like that? and whos stupid enough would take that job man :lol: :lol: . If you earn $400/month and someone offered you a job in Japan with 3 or 4 times your current wage, would you reject that offer?)

There is also this notion that master craftsmen are painstakingly trained to produce these guitars, but the fact of the matter is that it is a modern production facility where the precision tasks are done by machine, and hands on stuff (minus final assembly and setup) is basically grunt work.

IMO

heregoesnothing

SS.org nub
Reaction score
Uh, not entirely. There was a brief period when certain S-series Prestige models were manufactured outside of Japan. (Can't remember if it was Indonesia or Korea at the time.)

In 2005 Ibanez introduced the first Prestige models produced outside Japan, the Korean made S2075FW, SA2020FM and SZ2020FM. Between 2005 and 2008, all S series and derivative Prestige models were Korean made exclusively

S2075FW - Ibanez Wiki
SA2020FM - Ibanez Wiki

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
The signature model on that site is gorgeous!!! :wub:

Ibanez really, really needs more Alder-bodied guitars. This is part of the reason I'm taking most of my 6-string business to Fender and Jackson. Alder and Swamp Ash coupled with a fairly bassy pickup is essentially the dog's bollocks if you ask me.

Black_Sheep

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do we finally get that awesome looking and sounding RG2727 to europe? Or at least somewhere outside japan?

underthecurve

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

If you look earlier in the thread, it seemed Leaonardo7 suggested that the premium line was for training cheap labor to then send to japan. That's all I was refuting, and you reinforced my point, when answering my rhetorical question.

Sorry I didn't know about earlier non japan prestiege, but it would be silly for them do to that today, especially after establishing the premium line.

Please direct all rebuttals to my inbox to keep this NAMM Ibanez and not international labor economic theory.

jl-austin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ibanez knows that the sweet spot for "workhorse" guitars is around $1000. The problem recently is the Yen to Dollar ratio. Google Yen to Dollar and you will see the chart.

If you look at the ratio, it is much more favorable for the US dollar now than it was in 2012 (and even at the start of 2013). Basically, we get a high quality guitar for less.

Ibanez can't drop the price on the inventory they have from 2013, because they have already paid for the guitars (because they actually pay a company to make them), so the solution is to offer new models for less money. It is simple economics.

The thing I am curious about is what will happen with the Premium line. With a Prestige RG with Dimarzio's and a real edge for around $1200, there is VERY little reason to buy a premium with lesser quality parts for around $1000.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Ibanez really, really needs more Alder-bodied guitars. This is part of the reason I'm taking most of my 6-string business to Fender and Jackson. Alder and Swamp Ash coupled with a fairly bassy pickup is essentially the dog's bollocks if you ask me.

:yesway:, Loomer.

I've often wondered why some members on this board are anti-basswood/alder and pro-mahogany. For my technique (which is admittedly crappy), mahogany sounds dark and muffled (at least on a full-thickness guitar) but it can work on a thin Saber-style body. I do like that lower-mids though, which sound great for metal rhythms, but not so hot on metal leads. Basswood sounds great for a scooped superstrat tone, but dents fairly easily. It also seems like the paint chips on the edges easily (but that might be more because of the radius that Ibanez puts on their RG series...) Alder has a great bite to it, and the eq is fairly balanced with a mild natural compression. Definitely one of my favorite woods. Pine is great for the snappy Tele sound. I don't have much experience Swamp Ash, but there are many fans of the sound.

Now, of course, each piece of wood is different and will react differently to the electronics and your technique. You might come across a mahogany guitar that is super-bright, or you might find an alder guitar that is dark. I won't write off a mahogany guitar until I play it, but consequently I don't understand why people sneer at alder and basswood (calling it Asswood. Har har, you're funny :rolleyes:) before they try the guitars in question... :shrug:

Bottom-line, Ibanez found a combination that works for them. I'm glad that they're finally branching out with new tone wood combination, but to come into an Ibanez thread and bash them for not offering X, Y, and Z is crazy to me. (this is not directed at you, Loomer.) I love the Strat sound, but I'm not demanding that Ibanez make a SSS-loaded, Alder-bodied, Maple Neck guitar. Even if they did, who knows if it would actually sound like a Fender Stratocaster? My whole point is it's not betrayal to buy guitars from other brands if your current brand doesn't meet your needs. Hell, as an owner of 10+ Ibanez guitars, I might buy a Schecter this year (I never imagined in my life that I would ever say that!). I might even check out some Jackson guitars, based on your suggestion, Loomer. :yesway: (although my J.Custom with the Alder body is the Shit! :scream:)

All in all, 2014 is a great year to be a gear whore!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: It also shows that Ibanez is listening to us, so keep on complaining, brothers!

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
What was your favorite model, pray tell?

Its a tough call really - they've really given the 7 string players something to think about this year. I'm really loving the fixed bridge prestiges with the new gibraltar. I got a chance to finally play the newer bridge, and I'm in love with it. Other than that, we're getting some cool colors, some WOOD, and overall a pretty diverse list of sevens. If people are disappointed, they'll probably always be disappointed.

rockstarazuri

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
s-S771PB.jpg

s-S521-MOL.jpg

Not Prestiges, and but I like these. Seems to be very affordable too($400-600-ish?)

Would get one to mod the heck out of it (and as a throw around guitar/backup for my RGA)

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
s-S771PB.jpg

Not Prestiges, and but I like these. Seems to be very affordable too($400-600-ish?)

Would get one to mod the heck out of it (and as a throw around guitar/backup for my RGA)

This one reminds me of the Korean Prestige S2170FW NTF S2170FW - Ibanez Wiki, but with a fixed bridge and a Wizard III neck profile (which is a good thing for me because, this might be heresy to the Ibanez-faithful, but I prefer the Indonesian-Wizard III over the Korean-Wizard II *runs and hides*. The Wizard HP and the Super Wizard trump all though. :shred:)

guitarmadillo

Son of Popsyche7
Reaction score
On neck profiles; do the Prestiges all have Wizards? I don't really like the numbered Wizards, just a tad too thick compared to my Super Wizard.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
On neck profiles; do the Prestiges all have Wizards? I don't really like the numbered Wizards, just a tad too thick compared to my Super Wizard.

The Prestiges do have Wizard necks, but the feel is very different from the Super-Wizard. The way I would describe it is this... The Super-Wizard is a D-Shape neck, 17mm thick at the first fret, 19-20mm at the twelfth fret depending on model year. The Prestige Wizard/HP is more of a C-Shape neck, 17-18mm thick at the first fret, 20mm at the twelfth fret, again depending on model year. The Wizard II is an exaggerated D-Shape with high "shoulders", 19mm thick at the first fret, 21mm at the twelfth fret. The Wizard III is a C-Shape, 19mm thick at the first fret, 21mm at the twelfth fret, and it kinda reminds me of a Strat neck.

Some people, like Mick Thompson and Steve Vai, prefer the Wizard II shape, but I hate it. (Apparently, the Wizard II was based on the Jem Neck Shape.)

Also, the width in the "other" dimension (maybe height or girth or width, dunno what to call it) at the 24th fret changes by Model Year, "Prestige or not", individual shaping, etc. i.e. your mileage might vary. In my experience it's easier to go from a Super-Wizard to Prestige Wizard than it is the other way around.

Here's a good website about the differences, although it hasn't been updated in a couple of years:
List of neck types - Ibanez Wiki

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that neck radiuses (radii?) are different as well 430mm (Japan) vs 400mm (Korea and Indonesia). This is the surface that your fingertips rest on.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that neck radiuses (radii?) are different as well 430mm (Japan) vs 400mm (Korea and Indonesia). This is the surface that your fingertips rest on.

SO the japanese version has a taller board from bottom to top?