Ibanez 2011

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by possumkiller, Nov 12, 2010.

1. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

Chances are that not very many of them are floating around yet. Last year when the JEM505's came out, our store didn't get one until the very end of May.

2. Monk

Monk SS.org Regular

Luca (over at the ESP Message Boards) has one:

NGD Ibanez content - ESP Guitars Message Board

:hbang:

3. Decipher

Decipher Ibanez Enthusiast

:wallbash: I am dying to get an APEX 100 but just can't get the funds together.......

4. mudmonster

mudmonster SS.org Regular

an Ibanez Universe with a fixed bridge or Kahler trem would be absolutely cool beans

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Unfortunately that ain't gonna happen as Vai does not use Kahler trems at all. A fixed bridge seems more possible considering he did release a Hard Tail Jem... but even then not likely.

6. mudmonster

Yup, I'm aware that Vai uses those awful and finicky floyd rose trems - and Ibanez is totally fixated on them too, dunno why because they are garbage. It would just be nice, that's all I'm saying... cos I've been an Ibanez Universe player for 13 years now & one thing I have always wished was that it had a better and more reliable bridge. I am sick of the hassle that floyds bring... Oh well, what can ya do? Keep on grinding that's all. It is a shame that Ibanez is not custom friendly as well. When the hell are they gonna have a custom shop like the other companies do?

7. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

Most likely when hell freezes over and pigs fly.

8. mudmonster

So a petition is needed then... get them in gear! :hbang:

9. Bloody_Inferno

They have a custom shop, but for endorsed artists only.

As for floyds, to be technical, Vai acutally uses an Edge trem (or lo pro), as it should say on your Universe. And considering the legion of long time Floyd/Edge users, they're reliable units, admittedly they're not for everybody, and Kahlers are cool too.

Have you considered getting a custom body with a Kahler trem and just put the UV neck on it?

10. mudmonster

Well, yah of course they have custom for endorced players - I meant the kind of custom shop where someone like me who isn't endorsed can fill out what they want and have it built - Jackson, BC Rich, Schecter (I think), they do it... other companies do too. Ibanez should get into that, it is ridiculous that they don't.

Yes, LoPro Edge... same shit different pile. It's still a poorly designed floating bridge which is a blunder in every way.

I have definitely considered getting an RG7 and having it routed so a Kahler will fit - or just simply using the Gibraltar standard bridge and throwing some D-activators in it... lots of options for sure; but over all it would be really nice to just have an Universe or a S-series 7 with all the stuff I love already in it!

11. Bloody_Inferno

Personal opinion aside, legions of satisfied Floyd/Edge users will state otherwise.

Plenty of companies can build an RG body for you. ET Guitars would be the most reliable of the lot, though the waiting list is pretty long, and IIRC ET have haulted new orders to finnish current ones (somebody please confirm). Patrick Sims is another option (but considering the horror stories, not recommended :lol:). Honestly, you're better off saving cash and get say ESP, Jackson or KxK to build a custom 7 for you.

12. mudmonster

That's a great idea to get ESP or someone to do the custom thing, but when I did the calculation for it with ESP it was over $7000! That's a bit crazy...

:wallbash:

13. mudmonster

Oh also, thank you for the ET Guitars recommendation - they look quite affordable! I'm gonna contact 'em!

14. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

I have heard that now that Ibanez owns a factory there might be some custom "features" at some point in the future. I would say there is about a 5% chance now, compared to 0% percent chance this time last year, for a public Ibanez custom shop. Although with the back log of orders for the Premium models, I would not expect it any time soon.

One of my dealers in Austin ordered 2 premiums at NAMM, and he just found out that one might not show up until July.

15. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

Same with our store. Out of our entire 2011 stocking order, I think we've only gotten six or seven guitars, All GIO series, except for the new S570 with the maple board, and we put in around an $9k to $10k order I'm thinking, and that was Mid-January. When the S420BBS came out at Summer NAMM, we ordered one immediately and it ended up in our store in December.

16. ahull123

ahull123 SS.org Regular

Has the factories in Japan been affected by the earthquake, nuclear, sunami, alien invasion stuff? that happened, every other Japanese mfg. there seemed to be.

17. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

According to Ibanez their facilities in Japan were not significantly affected, which I believe includes Fujigen. Not to say there won't be some form of impact as Japan's overall infrastructure was highly affected.

It's nothing new for MIJ Ibanez guitars to come out as late as June/July when shown/announced at Winter NAMM. It's been like that going all the way back to 03' if I remember correctly, and probably even further back.

18. samu

samu SS.org Regular

whoops

How do i delete this post...?

19. Bloody_Inferno

^ I guess I've got an excuse to post these:

[​IMG]
    This is the closest they've got to a brand new MIJ Ibby. Japan exclusive, and quite old news. So the newest they have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The RG340 series. Basically MII HSS RGs. Again Japan exclusive.

Though I recently tried a 2011 RG350 and it's definitely a step up on the MII department. The Wizard III felt good and the EZII is a surprisingly decent trem. Sure it's still not as good as the MIJs of old, but definitely in the right direction. :yesway:

20. Gryphon

Gryphon SS.org Regular

I'd definitely buy a RG340, I like the hum bridge, single coil neck setup.