I made an oopsie

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by The Spanish Inquisition, Nov 19, 2018.

1. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

Recently I ordered a bunch of parts from America (which is a big deal for a European) and my neck finally came in. A lovely piece of wenge. But in my eager ways, I "accidentally" screwed the tuner screws in without pre drilling the holes. Now apparently I've over-tortioned the screw, and the head came off (I am a building noob, didn't know this shit could happen). So there is no way I can screw it in or out any further.

Are there any ways to make this less of an oopsie? How can I fix this myself? I know I can drill the screw out and fill with wood filler, but that is less than aesthetically pleasing. Are there any makeshift solutions to solve this conundrum? Because this shit really bums me out :lol:

2. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Can you get some vice grips on part of the thread stuck and unscrew it that way? Then just a matter of pre-drilling the holes and should be good.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

How much is sticking out? If you have a mm or two you could grab the screw with the chuck from your drill and back it out.

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

It's probably too small for an extractor, so options are limited if it broke nearly flush to the wood.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

show us pics of the problem, it'd be easier to diagnose then.
    Like others have said, the options are drill it out, or try and remove it with pliers by unscrewing it (depending on how much of the screw is exposed).
    also for future reference, predrill your screw holes slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw, so that way they can still bite into the wood, and to mitigate this from happening again. tuner screws are pretty small and usually made of soft metal, so the less fiddling you have to do with them the better.

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yes!!!!

Inherited the same issue on my fender build. SO, how i fixed it was, sanded the snapped off screw part flush with the back of the neck (this may not apply to you), then you get Hipshot tuners. They come with UMP (universal mounting plates) which means they cover over any screw holes/flushed sanded snapped screws, to hide them, and also dont need screws/holes to hold them on.

[​IMG]

7. The Spanish Inquisition

I've basically got nothing left. I've already tried to get it out using pliers. The pliers only stripped it more. I've also tried to give it a new screw head by chiseling into the scrw, but the screw is too hard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah thats exactly what I had.

See my above post

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

welp in that case, drill it out, or cover it like lewis said.

lewis likes this.
  10. The Spanish Inquisition

Welp, fuck. I have some dope ass locking Grover tuners, and Hipshot tuners aren't that widely available here, especially not in sets with the plate, so I'm probably gonna try to drill it out.

11. Defyantly

Defyantly Maybe

just get a really bit to drill it out and go very slowly.

12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

A common fix is to get a small piece of brass tubing just bigger than the screw. File some teeth into one end of the tube, and use it in a drill to drill out the plug of wood and the screw. Then you’d need to fill the hole with a new plug of wood.

You could try just drilling it out with a bit, but I think you’ll find that the bit will wander too much and it will be very difficult.

13. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

If you have a tiny flathead screwdriver, you MIGHT be able to hammer it down into the body of the screw to sort of make your own slot in the top of the screw, and then carefully un-screw...but that might not work with a screw this small.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

you can just order it from whichever distributor is in your country. They ship internationally

15. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

If you screwed that in without pre drilling you'll never screw it out again in any way.
    Grind the broken top level , gently centre punch the top exactly in the middle and try to drill it out with the smallest drill you have and work up to larger drills as you go. This doesn't always work though so my solution has been to use a small drill and drill half way around the broken screw on the tuning peg hole side (you can hide the excavated hole under the tuner body by doing it on that side, mark around the tuner with a pencil and you'll know exactly where to drill) then carefully tease out the broken end with a scriber . You can also carefully put some heat into the broken end with a soldering iron to lessen the thread grip. This has always worked for me.
    Just be really careful and methodical and it'll be an invisible fix once you've filled the hole in and re drilled.

Don't forget to put a drop of oil on the screws before you screw them in.

J_Mac and Zhysick like this.
  16. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

What kind of oil do you put in?

17. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Any lubricating oil will do, it makes the screws go in like butter.

electriceye likes this.
  18. FwLineberry

FwLineberry User of Registers

You can just rub the treads on a bar of soap if you don't have any oil. Rubbing a screw on the side of your nose can work too if you're really desperate.