I just ordered my first seven string

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Its not going to be that huge of a deal, frankly. You'll probably have the biggest issue of "forgetting" that the bottom string (bass side) isn't your E string. Might get a bit lost on the fretboard for a few days, but its really quick. The top 6 strings are just your regular ass guitar, so play stuff you play on 6 string and practice muting the 7th string. See if you can play all your 6 string material on the 7 without hearing the string ringing out, then try and start incorporating the 7th string in there, or maybe rewrite a cool riff transposed down on the 7th string now. Or hell, have fun with different tunings, I tune a lot to an Open E chord and have a Dropped A on the bottom, and its really fun.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This might help: it’s 5 extra low notes, that’s it. The low seven string as you know is tuned a fifth lower so have fun playing those power chords to see how they sound, etc.

You’ll def hit the low string instead of your 6th a few times but other than that you’ll adapt quickly unless you went for an extra long scale length or fan fret scenario.

Then tune it down to drop G or F and only play that string.

000-000-00-000-000-00-000-00000-00 life

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely practice 6 string stuff on your 7! I like doing easy cowboy chord stuff, that made it easier for me.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I felt weird for about a week. Just as @CanserDYI said the biggest hurdle was that we're so used to the low E being the end of the fretboard that it throws off the muscle memory.

For me it wasn't so much that the low B is now the low E, so to speak, rather it was the relationship of the A and D strings relative to that change that I had to overcome. Hard to explain in writing but I wouldn't sweat it. Until I put in more equal time on both the 6 and 7 it actually felt weird to pick up a 6 string and that was with 20 years of being exclusively on that setup. Your brain gets tricked easily but also seems to adapt easily as well.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I played 4,5 and 6 string basses for decades before getting my first 7 string guitar so the low B wasn't anything new to me. But playing guitar chords in B natural was a challenge at first.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The biggest struggle for me personally was basically accepting that yaaas - you're taking a bit of a step back in terms of mastery of the instrument and are facing a learning curve - nothing super drastic but defo noticeable.
So then the instinct (perhaps ego driven to some extent or maybe just a force of habit kicking in) is to go grab a trusty 6 string where everything is familiar and comfortable and nice and do some shredding on that.
I was in that boat for a few months after I bought my first 7 then I finally decided to bite the bullet, played nothing but my 7 for a few weeks and never looked back.
Long (and cool) story short - "force" yourself to play it exclusively for a few weeks straight, most if not all of the issues associated with an extra string to deal with, wider neck, longer scale (if that's the case obv) will be alleviated.

Dayn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I went from 6 to 8. There's always a transition period when playing any new guitar as you get used to it. The only thing is getting used to another string being there.

There's not much more to get used to, really. I had no struggles at all, just some adjustment. Give it a little time, it'll be fine. If anything, when I got my first 7-string, I felt like I was missing a limb without that 8th string.

Mboogie7

Lefty's unite!
Reaction score
Not that big of a transition at all. It feels like a sixer with an extra string. Still feels very much like a guitar compared to 8 strings (that’s where I had some difficulty).

Tldr - it’ll feel pretty similar to that of a 6. Plug in and have a blast! Also, post pics when said NGD arrives 😊

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The biggest struggle for me personally was basically accepting that yaaas - you're taking a bit of a step back in terms of mastery of the instrument and are facing a learning curve - nothing super drastic but defo noticeable.
So then the instinct (perhaps ego driven to some extent or maybe just a force of habit kicking in) is to go grab a trusty 6 string where everything is familiar and comfortable and nice and do some shredding on that.
I was in that boat for a few months after I bought my first 7 then I finally decided to bite the bullet, played nothing but my 7 for a few weeks and never looked back.
Long (and cool) story short - "force" yourself to play it exclusively for a few weeks straight, most if not all of the issues associated with an extra string to deal with, wider neck, longer scale (if that's the case obv) will be alleviated.

Maybe it's because I can play quite a few instruments badly, but I just have to think a little ahead of where I'm playing if I want to add the 7th string into some 6 string stuff. But for some reason it doesn't come as natural as going from a 4 string bass to a 5 string, but it's a lot easier than mandolin (GDAE) where you have to think of how to play everything bassackwards.

riseguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I only own 7's. So if there's a 6- string song I want to cover, I just play it on a 7. I enjoy 7's because I like width of the neck and no detuning required to play lower notes.

bloodocean

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Transition to 7 string = easy
Transition to 8 string = wtf is this monstrosity? How the hell do I play Enter Sandman on this thing?
This. Bought an Ibanez iron label 8 to test the waters, I hated it. Visceral, teeth grinding hate.

The low B on a 7 is not so low that it sounds like complete garbage playing chords. In other words, it’s just like the other strings. Except more brutal. Nevermore & Cannibal Corpse riffs for days. Play your favorite thrash songs in B for laughs. It’s awesome.

On an 8, the low F# string is basically becomes a bass string and only works with single notes. 27” scale length or multi scale is gross. Your 6 string amp tone has to change to trebly djent for it to register. I don’t even like djent.

In other words, good purchase decision OP.

sidrocka

Mark The Lines
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the advice, my 7 string came in the mail and i haven't even touched my poor six string since it came, I'm in love with this guitar. happy playing, you all!

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Getting a 7 taught me that I actually just wanted a baritone tuned to B.

I had written a lot of songs in drop D with the band I was in when I got it, so I did a lot of stuff in drop D/A tuning (ADADGBE) during that time so I didn't have to transcribe entire songs, just added lower/"heavier" parts to them.

After that I switched to BEADF#BE because I found I didn't like the diminished 4th between the G and B anymore, and just transposed entire songs down a string.

Then I just bought a baritone, and never looked back.

Our poor bassist stayed in E standard this entire time and just kept transposing his parts. What a guy.

sidrocka

Mark The Lines
Reaction score
NGD!!!

6E12AC46-4880-46EA-9FDE-F85F3117F291.jpg
ignore the sketchy guitar placement, i love this guitar. was a bit nervous with getting it because it was only released a few months ago but good god was it worth it. for a $900 guitar, this thing way outperforms it's price. Though, i don't have a ton of experience with more expensive guitars, this guitar feels worth every dollar I paid for it. And the looks. Sweet jesus the looks. My previous guitar i bought i was originally interested in based on the looks (schecter damien-6). Like that schecter I can confidently say this guitar is even better looking in person than it is online. AND on top of it being so fun to play, it sounds just as good as it looks. As a progressive metal guitarist, (you probably could tell from the mark okubo pfp,) I crave that sweet sweet dj0nt out of my guitars, and this guitar delivers with even filthier chugs than i even expected out of the sound test on youtube. All five pickup settings sound great clean, and both the neck and bridge pickup sounds great no matter how much distortion you put on it. Whatever black magic Solar worked to make these new pickups even hotter but still sound good, they soooo delivered with it. Needless to say, if (when) I decide to puchase another guitar, I will most likely be going with Solar. TL;DR, this is a pretty damn good guitar, fun to play, amazing looks, and wonderful sound.

Latest posts