How to fill a ding

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Snarpaasi, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Hi. I bought a plain Warmoth alder body which got a ding to the front when I was moving my stuff. It is roughly size of a screw head and maybe 1mm deep. I aim to use transparent Angelus leather dyes which looked nice on Youtube and give it a few layers of truoil.

Is there a way how to fill and fix it without making it stand out even more?

Konfyouzd likes this.
  2. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

You can steam it out with a damp towel and a clothes iron. The water gets in to the wood and the combination of heat and moisture make the fibers expand and go back to their original shape (or close to it). Then you might just need to do some minor sanding touch up after that. Look on Youtube, there are a ton of tutorials about it. Most of them are dealing with hardwood flooring, but it's the same process.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

What's the finish on it currently? If it's gloss, you can use liquid super glue to gradulally fill it in multiple layers, shave it as smooth as you can with a razor blade with tape around the sides of the blade so you only scrap in the middle where the glue is, then wet sand/polish.

That can work on fairly minor indentations, but if the woodgrain has broken, it seems to only help minimally, if at all.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  4. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

1mm is borderline but possible. The 'amped up' version of this I've tried is a couple drops of water and soldering iron in the puddle. Otherwise, yeah, I agree with your idea. I've also done the same with acrylic nail polish or two part epoxy.

Konfyouzd and aesthyrian like this.
  5. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Thank you all for quick replies! These kind of things I was looking for. Spudmunkey, it has no finish yet so its just raw wood atm.

6. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

You guys are some crafty individuals... :yesway:

7. warped

warped SS.org Regular

If it's still raw wood let water sit in the ding overnight - fixed a few similar (and much bigger) dings than this during my build on a raw basswood body..

8. georg_f

georg_f SS.org Regular

you could consider posting before and after pictures once you're done :)