How does the Axe Fx ultra hold up against todays modeling market?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Empryrean, May 29, 2019.

1. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

Hey all, im curious about some nice modeling solutions at my desk and for ease of plug and playability. How does the original afx ultra hold up in todays modeling market? Looking at the Helix stomp and maybe even the LT im seeing plenty of used Afx ultras hanging out between the price of a Helix stomp and the helix LT. I dont care for the footswitches too much but do want to be able to easily jump between presets without a PC. Thanks in advance!

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

I used to have an AxeFX Standard, AxeFX Ultra and a Kemper at one point. To me, I always felt that the Kemper sounded better "in the room" than the other two right off the bat. But in a recorded situation I always found that the Standard and Ultra were a little easier to mix. That might just be my experience. That having been said, I don't know how much one being better than another actually applies.

Sure, people will tell you that one is way better than another but it's a lot like how in English class they tell you that sentences like "Sit down," have an implied "you" as the subject of the sentence, hence making them a complete thought.

Often people will say that one modeler is better and you have to imply the phrase "for my purposes" rather than taking it as absolute fact. :lol:

XPT707FX likes this.
  3. spacebard

spacebard SS.org Regular

Back then,If most people couldn't tell difference with amps sims from the 1st Axe-fx and the real thing, I'd say it's pretty much the same today. So viable vs newer generation? Totally

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If the old tech is the same price as the new tech in the form factor you want... just get the new one.

Empryrean, Konfyouzd and Descent like this.
  5. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

The power sim and stock cabs are not on par with the Axe2 and later, but good enough to fool most I would say. The real issue with the older units is wear and tear on the jacks, buttons, and wheel, plus the loud ass fan that probably needs replacing.

6. Konfyouzd

That moment when budda comes through and simplifies the whole deal.

rexbinary and setsuna7 like this.
  7. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Not to mention that the Ultra doesn't have a usb port on it, so you'd have to get special midi to usb cables to hook it up to your pc to be able to use the editing software.

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, probably the most annoying this is that the Standard/Ultra doesn't have the USB interface, so you would need an external interface to use them. They do sound good though. I had a Standard for a few years before I got a II.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  9. Konfyouzd

The lack of USB is absolutely their biggest issue.

I honestly didn't use the editing software with it for that reason and it was ultimately what made me move to a Kemper because it looks more like an amp to begin with. And somehow I've gone back to using a real amp with a load box. :lol:

I didn't really see much different between my Standard and Ultra either, by the way. I think that there were probably more amps in the Ultra and the Ultra had more processing power, but I honestly don't feel I took advantage of most of that.

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

F79EF17D-D3AE-43F9-A529-A15511148DF5.jpeg

The graph has spoken

11. Konfyouzd

:rofl:

My favorite part is "Based on certified benchmarks."

Gotta let em know it's official.

setsuna7, Empryrean and mnemonic like this.
  12. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

The preamp models are pretty good with the Ultra. If you have a tube poweramp or run through the efx loop of your amp, it would give you a lot of useful tones. But the power amp modeling is not on par with the Axe II or even the AX8 especially on Quantum. The full amp models is where you will hear a big difference.

Elric likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Any iteration of any fractal product going direct to FOH or into a quality amp for power into a cab, is going to sound amazing whether its an Ultra or an Axe III

Masoo2 likes this.
  14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Listen to Nolly’s metal clips on the BKP site, they still sound good to this day.

Konfyouzd likes this.
  15. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

The Axe Fx III is going to destroy nearly everything, probably for another 5-10 years lol so put that aside

I think the mini axe fx iii, while its not out yet, should be included the FM3....but aside from that, there are SO MANY decent and great options now. Very respective to accurate pricing. IMHO, but that's me.

For example, I think the helix is a great new thing, and Line 6 has a lot of modeling practice. They are entry-mid level, but with this they are getting close to high end, some say helix IS high end.

Kemper, that's the only thing the AXe FX III still has to look behind its shoulder for in terms of accurate tone reproduction, like a kemper sounds so close to the real thing, the only thing better is an axe iii.

I also think peavey does AWESOME modeling, and they are one of the oldest best innovators of the modeling technology. I might be wrong but I think they may have kind of starting power amp models? or something like that, IIRC but ifnot please correct, and sorry if that's inaccurate

And then there are the VST's that many say are great, and then even crazier, STOMP BOX AND PEDALS AND FLOORBOARDS all in1, like Atomic Amplifire 6 and 12....so I think the best way to narrow it down is pick a budge or price point and just try anything in that category you like, for example for 4-600 you have like 4 different options, so good luck!!!

and if you have $2k get an axe fx iii, you wont be disappointed at all, for a decade!!! LOL!

EDIT
    Also that graphic is really all you needed to say....(darn mobile data, I feel foolish for even giving that spiel if I knew a DSP math graph was up lol ) my bad

:::goes quiet:::

Empryrean likes this.
  16. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

The Ultras are awesome. I just sold mine last year after getting the three and kept my II, it did not make sense to have three generations of units.

But running it as a preamp plus FX unit like I was, it was literally as good as any rig I’ve had when dialed in. Killer tone is killer tone.

They are harder to dial in and the newer units have some nice features and may have less wear as others have noted but they are insane value for what they go for. IMHO. If I had space for all three I would have kept it.

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I can't tell if the graph posted seriously or facetiously? It sounds like people are interpreting it both ways.

I lean facetiously. The Axe-I vs. Axe-III is like the difference between running minecraft at 30 fps or 3000 fps.

Empryrean likes this.
  18. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

Seems genuine enough to me, I'm not gonna need tons of computational power. I just want good tone and maybe reverb plus 1 modulation effect at a time.

The ax8 and fm3 look like good choices if I'm going the axe route since I wouldn't expect myself to be running a very sophisticated patch

19. Soya

Soya Poor person

What's the metric? Theoretical chugs per hour?

20. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It's a measure of "It sounds just like a real amp now with firmware X.XX" posts on the fractal forum.

Andromalia likes this.