Help For Deciding on New Guitar

Ben102

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first time posting here and I'm looking for some opinions. So I've been meaning on getting a new guitar after a few years of not playing electric, but I've been struggling choosing the right one, now that during quarantine I can't really go and test one. I'm looking for something to play a range between rock (Foo Fighters) to some harder metal like (Bring Me The Horizon). I've narrowed it down to these few and I would love to hear some opinions or better options. I'm trying to stay under $800 if possible

Gretsch G5220 Electromatic Jet

Jackson JS Series Monarkh SC JS22

Jackson JS32 Dinky DKA-M

Looking at Epiphones as well, but don't know many of their models

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks

Nicki

Twit
Reaction score
If you're going for a LP style, LTD EC1000.

Super strat - Ibanez RG421

If you want something a little different, a used Godin Redline.

duffbeer33

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think you'd want to focus on a guitar with hard tail bridge (rather than a floyd rose like the Jackson dinky) if you are planning to switch back and forth between Foo Fighters and BMTH (which would probably mean switching tunings frequently). It sounds like you are considering a wide range, so there will be all sorts of different preferences, so you will get answers ranging all over the spectrum. In that price range, I like Epiphones and the PRS SE models for good value guitars that offers a lot of versatility.

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
Get something that looks cool... rock?

Worst advice or the best you will get. Grab a Yamaha Pacifica or a Fender squire

littlebadboy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any of the PRS models tickles you? A used S2 is affordable giving you more opportunities to mod the heck out of it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Any of the PRS models tickles you? A used S2 is affordable giving you more opportunities to mod the heck out of it.

And they dont even need modding.

Basically OP so long as you have a humbucker in the bridge, you're fine.

What body style do you find most comfortable?

Ben102

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yeah I'm starting to look at PRS, seems that one is getting recommended, and someone mentioned it as well on another forum. I'm comfortable with any body style, though I do have a preference for more Les Paul style bodies and then Super Strat

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I'm starting to look at PRS, seems that one is getting recommended, and someone mentioned it as well on another forum. I'm comfortable with any body style, though I do have a preference for more Les Paul style bodies and then Super Strat

You would like the SE singlecut and sig models then. I've owned a few, they are good guitars. Currently have an s2 satin singlecut that I enjoy quite a lot.

Ben102

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok so looking through some SE I'm leaning towards the PRS SE SANTANA, found some used ones at a fairly good price

Ben102

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn so the SE Santana got sold before I could get my hands on it hahaha looking at other PRS like the Mira and Tremonti, any thoughts on those?

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
In terms of overall "bang for the buck" it's hard to go wrong with a PRS. Fret-work and overall quality with PRS guitars are often more consistent than a lot of other brands in the same price range. IMO the feel and playability should be paramount assuming that there are no other manufacturing issues. "Better" pickups, a graphite nut, and locking tuners can always come later. If it comes down to these two models... keep in mind that the Mira is a hard-tail whereas the Tremonti utilizes a trem. Best of luck on your search, OP!

Lastly... If you don't find this guitar to be sexy af, then you might not be entirely human...

WYLD STALLYNS

ESP Custom Shopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first time posting here and I'm looking for some opinions. So I've been meaning on getting a new guitar after a few years of not playing electric, but I've been struggling choosing the right one, now that during quarantine I can't really go and test one. I'm looking for something to play a range between rock (Foo Fighters) to some harder metal like (Bring Me The Horizon). I've narrowed it down to these few and I would love to hear some opinions or better options. I'm trying to stay under $800 if possible

Gretsch G5220 Electromatic Jet

Jackson JS Series Monarkh SC JS22

Jackson JS32 Dinky DKA-M

Looking at Epiphones as well, but don't know many of their models

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks
ESP LTD SC-607B

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn so the SE Santana got sold before I could get my hands on it hahaha looking at other PRS like the Mira and Tremonti, any thoughts on those?

Both are good. Just gotta choose if you want doublecut or singlecut.

Ben102

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok its been done! decided on the Mira, and should get it by next week, spent a couple extra bucks, but its worth it. Thank you guys for introducing me to PRS, can't wait to start playing it