Helix 3.5 just dropped

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, I opened a thread pertaining to presets and demos using the helix... But not a soul has responded.

Soooo, if more of you would like to share your presets or details, I'd be happy to try them out 🙌

I'm new to the helix, so honestly, I haven't dialed in anything that makes me think it's better than Neural DSP stuff 😅

I hear that it is, but struggle to agree so far, due to the controls or GUI.
What sound are you going for? I just started with the factory presets and tweaked from there.

If you're after high gain, you can't go wrong with the Horizon Drive/plumes, Vitriol, and dual Cali 412.

Roberto Djentz

The guy who asks too many questions
Reaction score
What sound are you going for? I just started with the factory presets and tweaked from there.

If you're after high gain, you can't go wrong with the Horizon Drive/plumes, Vitriol, and dual Cali 412.
Attempting to get a Plini Electric Sunrise or David Maxim Miccic Bilo part 3 rhythm tone

Last edited:

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Attempting to get a Plini Electric Sunrise or David Maxim Miccic Bilo part 3 rhythm tone
Then I'd second my recommendation above but use the Horizon Drive with the attack at 2 or 3. The default Vitriol will get you close, and dual Cali V30 in the Fredman mic setup: 1 57 dynamic at cap edge, the second 57 around 5 on the position at 45 degrees is what I've been using.

Once you get the amp and cab set right, everything else is icing on the cake. Guys like Plini and Milo don't use tons of gain, so that should factor into how you dial it in. I would think you'd need to boost to get it tight enough, but not a super aggressive boost. The default settings on the Horizon but put the gain to zero.

There is endless tweaking to be done with the Helix, and there's no substitute for just trying a bunch of stuff.

Roberto Djentz

Reaction score
Then I'd second my recommendation above but use the Horizon Drive with the attack at 2 or 3. The default Vitriol will get you close, and dual Cali V30 in the Fredman mic setup: 1 57 dynamic at cap edge, the second 57 around 5 on the position at 45 degrees is what I've been using.

Once you get the amp and cab set right, everything else is icing on the cake. Guys like Plini and Milo don't use tons of gain, so that should factor into how you dial it in. I would think you'd need to boost to get it tight enough, but not a super aggressive boost. The default settings on the Horizon but put the gain to zero.

There is endless tweaking to be done with the Helix, and there's no substitute for just trying a bunch of stuff.
This seems to be a good start, I'm just trying to get a comparison to the neural stuff. Any suggestions for leads? I can't figure out the delay or reverb settings, they sound too close and not wide enough 😅

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
This seems to be a good start, I'm just trying to get a comparison to the neural stuff. Any suggestions for leads? I can't figure out the delay or reverb settings, they sound too close and not wide enough 😅
Are you using a stereo delay? Just for your knowledge if you didn't pick this up by now: a stereo effect block will sum to mono if the next block is a mono block. It's pretty annoying, frankly but makes sense. If your stereo delay/reverb is in the middle of the chain, make sure everything after is stereo, even if you don't use it stereo.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
Random thought:

How are you all running dual amp setups? Is the “correct” way to have a split on the same path summing to the same cab/IR? I’ve only ever tried doing one rig on path 1 and then a separate amp and rig on path 2 and it’s always got this slight phasing going on in the high end. At least for high gain applications. I’ve got a slow few days at work this week, so I’m sitting here wondering :lol:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Random thought:

How are you all running dual amp setups? Is the “correct” way to have a split on the same path summing to the same cab/IR? I’ve only ever tried doing one rig on path 1 and then a separate amp and rig on path 2 and it’s always got this slight phasing going on in the high end. At least for high gain applications. I’ve got a slow few days at work this week, so I’m sitting here wondering :lol:
Do you mean dual amp as in both amps running at the same time like a blended hi gain set up? Or do you mean two amps like a clean amp and a dirty amp? I have patches with both and opinions on both. Also, are you on a Stomp or LT/Floor/Native?

If you're running two high gain amps, you can flip the polarity of "path b" and it fixes a lot of phasing issues Ive run into using 2 amps.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
Do you mean dual amp as in both amps running at the same time like a blended hi gain set up? Or do you mean two amps like a clean amp and a dirty amp? I have patches with both and opinions on both. Also, are you on a Stomp or LT/Floor/Native?

If you're running two high gain amps, you can flip the polarity of "path b" and it fixes a lot of phasing issues Ive run into using 2 amps.

Two high gain amps simultaneously, on an LT. I’ve tried the polarity settings and messing with the latency of the different IRs as well, but nothing quiet does the trick. It’s always a little too janky for my liking.

Roberto Djentz

Reaction score
Are you using a stereo delay? Just for your knowledge if you didn't pick this up by now: a stereo effect block will sum to mono if the next block is a mono block. It's pretty annoying, frankly but makes sense. If your stereo delay/reverb is in the middle of the chain, make sure everything after is stereo, even if you don't use it stereo.
I think it is stereo, it just sounds like a smaller room, compared to 1/4 on the neural stuff at least.

I dig the helix for sure, I kinda wish the GUI and EQ looked more like the amp sims I'm use to. It's not too difficult to navigate, Its just different to me 😬😩

Also, some of the reverbs and or delays are locked with certain amps it seems 🤔

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Not that I've ever heard? What effects are you locked out of? The only time I've ever had effects be "locked" is when my helix runs out of DSP (computing power essentially). I'm pretty sure you're on native so not sure when it locks or if it's dependent on your PC's CPU, I don't have native so I'm not sure.

Digital Igloo

Line 6
Reaction score
Not that I've ever heard? What effects are you locked out of? The only time I've ever had effects be "locked" is when my helix runs out of DSP (computing power essentially). I'm pretty sure you're on native so not sure when it locks or if it's dependent on your PC's CPU, I don't have native so I'm not sure.
Helix Native has Hardware Compatibility Mode—you can have its signal flow and DSP allocation reflect that of any Helix or HX hardware to help make presets you know will work in whatever box you have. You can also turn HCM off which opens it wide up and you can fill up all 32 block locations.

By default, HCM is set to Helix/Rack/LT.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I think it is stereo, it just sounds like a smaller room, compared to 1/4 on the neural stuff at least.

I dig the helix for sure, I kinda wish the GUI and EQ looked more like the amp sims I'm use to. It's not too difficult to navigate, Its just different to me 😬😩

@Digital Igloo just answered your question I think, it looks like helix native is "limiting" your Preset's DSP to reflect that of a standard Helix, so you don't end up building a preset that wont be able to port over to the hardware Helix.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I (unknowingly) ordered my LT literally the day the update was released. I primarily bought it because I wanted my Amplitube tones without being tied to my PC, and when I saw the amp & effect list available I justified it as giving me access to about a million dollars worth of gear for just over a grand. I haven't been able to play with it much yet, but it didn't take me long to be able to dial in something pretty close to "my tone", and I think with some tweaks you guys have mentioned I can get the rest of the way there and beyond.

Anyways, thanks for all the tips everyone shared in this thread. I just sent a whole list of them to myself to try out later,

PS - is there a list somewhere of what the presets are supposed to be? Being an old school metalhead, some of these seem obvious (Justice Fo' Y'All, Cowboys from DFW), but there are a lot where I'm not sure what they are. For me, the presets are a good way to see the different things the Helix can do, but more than half of them are like "WTF is this supposed to do?" to me. And others just don't sound like what I'm expecting (I'm assuming Billy Kastodon is supposed to be Bill Kelleher's tone?)

PPS - I wish there was a bit more time put into the bass presets to show some diversity. I'm a guitarist first, and I'm definitely not an expert at dialing in a bass tone. A clicky Fieldy-style bass tone seems like a no-brainer, love it or hate it. Peter Steele, Geddy Lee from Moving Pictures, Steve Harris, etc. would make for some great "starter" presets.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I (unknowingly) ordered my LT literally the day the update was released. I primarily bought it because I wanted my Amplitube tones without being tied to my PC, and when I saw the amp & effect list available I justified it as giving me access to about a million dollars worth of gear for just over a grand. I haven't been able to play with it much yet, but it didn't take me long to be able to dial in something pretty close to "my tone", and I think with some tweaks you guys have mentioned I can get the rest of the way there and beyond.

Anyways, thanks for all the tips everyone shared in this thread. I just sent a whole list of them to myself to try out later,

PS - is there a list somewhere of what the presets are supposed to be? Being an old school metalhead, some of these seem obvious (Justice Fo' Y'All, Cowboys from DFW), but there are a lot where I'm not sure what they are. For me, the presets are a good way to see the different things the Helix can do, but more than half of them are like "WTF is this supposed to do?" to me. And others just don't sound like what I'm expecting (I'm assuming Billy Kastodon is supposed to be Bill Kelleher's tone?)

PPS - I wish there was a bit more time put into the bass presets to show some diversity. I'm a guitarist first, and I'm definitely not an expert at dialing in a bass tone. A clicky Fieldy-style bass tone seems like a no-brainer, love it or hate it. Peter Steele, Geddy Lee from Moving Pictures, Steve Harris, etc. would make for some great "starter" presets.
if you just got your LT, just a reminder you can pick up Native for $50 right now.

vertibration

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Helix Native should have a block that is called "audio", and allows you to place it anywhere in the chain, so you can put effects before it when you use hardware. I know it can be done, you can kinda do this in Ableton within a midi channel and an external instrument plugin within Ableton. I think it would be very useful for those who want to use Native as an all in one effects module with their tube amps. Just put Native on an audio track, add an audio block, and place and OD block before the audio block so you can use overdrives, comps and eq's

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Helix Native should have a block that is called "audio", and allows you to place it anywhere in the chain, so you can put effects before it when you use hardware. I know it can be done, you can kinda do this in Ableton within a midi channel and an external instrument plugin within Ableton. I think it would be very useful for those who want to use Native as an all in one effects module with their tube amps. Just put Native on an audio track, add an audio block, and place and OD block before the audio block so you can use overdrives, comps and eq's
Maybe I'm understanding incorrectly, but how would you do that on a printed guitar track without having access to the DI signal, as well?

vertibration

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For instance, in Ableton. Open a midi track, place an external effect plugin on the midi track, within the external effect, you can choose your audio source (tube amp), then place effects before that source. My point is, it would be cool if Line 6 could do the same thing. Basically re-routing the audio signal to an audio block rather than before the actual plugin.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 12.41.04 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 12.41.04 AM.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 6

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
For instance, in Ableton. Open a midi track, place an external effect plugin on the midi track, within the external effect, you can choose your audio source (tube amp), then place effects before that source. My point is, it would be cool if Line 6 could do the same thing. Basically re-routing the audio signal to an audio block rather than before the actual plugin.
Again, not sure I'm following correctly as it's been years since I've used Ableton, but if you're using MIDI that's completely different. The effects blocks have access to the processed and unprocessed signal. I don't see how that would be possible with a guitar track that isn't a DI'd signal. There would be no notes to process before the signal is sent into it.

That's essentially the same as putting all your pedals before the amp, then adding an input box after them all in front of the amp. You'd get no signal into the effects that weren't in the loop. I'm so confused how that'd even work :lol: