Headstock Decals-Anyone have any experience?

Nanker Phelge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Working on a partscaster guitar and thinking about a headstock decal. I see decals for sale on Ebay and Reverb. Not sure what a "waterslide decal" is.

Anyone have any experience with these?

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
Working on a partscaster guitar and thinking about a headstock decal. I see decals for sale on Ebay and Reverb. Not sure what a "waterslide decal" is.

Anyone have any experience with these?
It's like the decals you put on a model airplane. If you don't have any experience with it, I would definitely get a few to practice with.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about waterslide decals is that they will have that clear area from the substrate. I've only ever done this on un-finished wood, so I can't speak to how this disappears with some types of finishes/processes.

1660895251862.png
from the sub

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about waterslide decals is that they will have that clear area from the substrate. I've only ever done this on un-finished wood, so I can't speak to how this disappears with some types of finishes/processes.

View attachment 112773
from the sub
Completely disappears when you bury it under clear coat. I would mask off the face of that headstock and lacquer it. It's too easy. And with the nitro in the spray cans they have now, it's extremely easy. I put eight coats on my headstock and let it cure for a day. Then wet sanded to 2500 grit and polished with turtle wax. Looks like a factory decal.

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised at how easy applying the nitro pain is. I've tried spraying guitars with normal enamel paint and it works fine for a matt looking military type finish. I tried acrylic lacquer for gloss and that shit just plain never ever cures. It will look nice and glossy but even a year later if you play with it sitting down your jeans will leave an imprint in the finish that takes days to go away. I wouldn't be surprised if the hype surrounding nitro finishes has more to do with the ease of application and less to do with tone or breathing wood.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
I use decals from Bedlam.

My process is below. It isn't for those looking for quick and easy, but it's what works for my process.

- Spray a few coats of sanding sealer to neck
- Level sand headstock with 320
- Spray 2 coats of nitro, 1 hour apart, let dry 24 hours
- Apply waterslide
- Spray 3 MIST coats of nitro. If you lay wet coats you could get bubbles on the decal
- Then lay down nitro like you would when finishing a neck. I usually do 3-4 coats. 3 usually does the trick if the neck is sufficiently sealed in step 1.

Riff the Road Dog

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use decals from Bedlam.

My process is below. It isn't for those looking for quick and easy, but it's what works for my process.

- Spray a few coats of sanding sealer to neck
- Level sand headstock with 320
- Spray 2 coats of nitro, 1 hour apart, let dry 24 hours
- Apply waterslide
- Spray 3 MIST coats of nitro. If you lay wet coats you could get bubbles on the decal
- Then lay down nitro like you would when finishing a neck. I usually do 3-4 coats. 3 usually does the trick if the neck is sufficiently sealed in step 1.
I would only add that I also mist the decal itself with nitro before application. Works for me.

Applying a waterslide decal is incredibly easy compared to most finishing processes. Very easy for a novice to get good results. I would still practice on scrap just to be safe, but if you can spray lacquer decently you're very likely to do it well the first time.