Has anyone tried the 81-8s?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Vince Caruana, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

Im looking to possibly get a set of the hum cap sized ones for my hybrid. I love the 57/66 but I really miss having that extra output and power that some of the other EMGS have. How do they compare to the 808 or the 6 string version of the 81? I liked the 808 but thought it was a little muddy and I found the 6 string pretty thin sounding.

2. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I asked the same question (85-8 actually) in the pickups/emg thread and it doesn't appear as though many ppl (here at least) use them.

Vince Caruana likes this.
  3. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

Yeah man I was actually thinking on putting the 85 in the bridge but I wasn't sure how it would sound. The 707 is supposed to be like an 85 and the 808 is modeled after the 707 but I think the 808 is more aggressive than the 707s, regardless of the 8th string.

4. buriedoutback

I absolutely love the 85 in my 6 string ltd explorer, but I'm skeptical of the 85-8 because I had 808s in my rga8 and I replaced them immediately with a single Deactivator in the bridge and empty pickup cover in the neck because I never use it. Without there being more information available, I'm hesitant to spend the money on the 85-8.

5. Vince Caruana

Vince Caruana Vinsanity

I really love the 57/66 in my hybrid they're just not extremely aggressive pickups but are still probably my favorite emgs

buriedoutback likes this.
  6. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Well, they're EMG's what did you expect? XD
    But in all seriousness, i tried the 81-8 in the guitar of a friend and had the same problems that i had with all EMG's, when i stopped playing the pickups would output a horrible squeeling noise no matter how i set the noise gates due to the compression effect of EMG's. (Except for if i turn everything to 10 on the Noisegate but then there's no sound coming through anyway)
    That said, i stood near a pretty loud amp/cab so if you're home-recording that might not be an issue.
    But the 81-8 sounds a lot better than the 808's i had in my rga8.
    In the end i just bought a set of SD Nazgul/Sentient with active housing and now i'm happy...

7. buriedoutback

That's really strange to me. IME I can go without a noise gate because they're so quiet. Like, I forgot to bring my gate a couple jams ago, and had 99% no issues (5150 > marshall 412). If I got right up to the amp it sometimes started to feedback a bit, but otherwise it was super quiet. (Emg 85). weird.

lewis likes this.
  8. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

A couple years ago I A/Bd every bridge pickup EMG makes for 8 strings. The 57-8 was my favorite of the bunch, the 81-8 my least favorite.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  9. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

Why the 57? What did you like about it?

10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

85-X'S are the bees knees, my fav EMG pickup of the bunch.

11. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Yeah that is strange, my EMG equipped guitars are typically more quiet than my high output passives.

12. Darylict

Darylict New Member

A bit late on this one but I have an 81-8 on my Schecter Hellraiser 8 string (bought from a friend who switched the bridge PU for an 81 and sounds pretty tight, I have 81-7s in my other 7 strings (came with them, except my Hellraiser 7 I switched out the 707 for one). Found the 808 and 707 put out too much bass.

I always found 81s i can push more and more bass into it to get a tight thick tone. Oddly enough I prefer an 85 for 6 strings, never tried the 85 version of the 8 string or 7 string always assumed it the 707 and 808s were the same as the 85.

Never could understand why I could get a sick tone from my 6 string (even tuned down) but the 707s and 808s get farty as heck, but I digress!

You can PM me if you want me to give you some examples of my tone, I use plugins (TSE and Nameless) cant record my 6505 in my apartment.

Hope this helps a bit!

13. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I’ve owned every EMG 8 string pickup they make, and used em all a fair bit.

The 81-8 is very cool, and I’m not a big fan of the OG 81. Compared to the 6, it’s still hot with a lot of mids, it doesn’t clip as much as the 6 string version though.

In my experience the 808 is pretty much the only bad 8 string pickup EMG make, however if you want something punchy and loud but maintaining good dynamics, the 85-8X is the way to go, which the 60-8X pairs nicely with.

It’s has a little less of that EMG ‘sizzle’ than the 81’s, which keeps more fundamental of your 8th string but without making it a big bassy flubby mess.

StevenC, buriedoutback and Darylict like this.
  14. Darylict

Darylict New Member

Really makes me scratch my head as to why a lot of Brands that load up with EMGs always have the 707 or 808 as neck AND bridge. As a neck pickup they are pretty great, no complaints, but bridge pickups not super fun ime

Rook likes this.
  15. buriedoutback

Very interesting! I have my ltd explorer setup this way. 85 bridge and 60 neck.

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

81-8x + the EMG RPC knob = 8 string epicness.

It cuts lows and boosts highs the more you turn the knob up (making it an instant "Tighten mode" style knob and therefore better than just a plain Tone knob)

Perfect for anything Drop G and lower

EDIT: Here is how much better the 707s sound with the RPC knob -

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018