Has anyone actually bought a M8M?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Acaciastrain360, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Acaciastrain360

Acaciastrain360 Don’t need no money, cus suicide is free

Hey dudes.... interested to know if anyone owns a M8M and how it can be 5x better than the M80M to justify the price difference? Any light on this would be great!!

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

If that's what you want then you can only find disappointment.

3. The 1

The 1 SS.org Regular

M8M is "custom" made by Sugi, a high-end Japanese shop that also makes J.Customs.
    M80M is factory produced in Indonesia.

That's really the main justification for the big price difference. The M8M will have higher-quality components/woods but its not like that alone would cost 5x more. You're really paying for the labor and the experience/attention to detail that comes with it.

Veldar and Acaciastrain360 like this.
  4. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

OP you probably seen this but a comparison of the two.

Acaciastrain360 likes this.
  5. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

I haven’t played an M8M, but I did have an M80M and it was quite poor quality. Sharp fret ends, poor glue joins, the works really. The guitar still sounded huge of course thanks to the scale length.

I’d imagine the M8M to not really change the sound as much as it would change the experience. Proper setup, smooth frets, etc. I say go for it if you like the M80M.

I play music likes this.
  6. Type_R3387

Type_R3387 SS.org Regular

I’ve owned two M8M (sold the old one) and I can say that it is hands down the best 8 I’ve played. The craftsmanship is truly something to behold and it’s one of those instruments where you can truly feel the quality when you play it. It’s my go to 8 and in the top three of my most played guitars. The tone is unmatched IMO.

Now.....On to the gritty: The price. 5-6k is a hell of a lot to shell out for this, let alone any guitar. Taking into consideration as well that it is somewhat of a niche instrument, I can see why many would shy away. However, if you are all about low tuned goodness, a diehard Meshuggah fan (or both), or you’re just looking for an incredible 8 string, this is the ticket.

I remember the first time I heard “I”, “Catch 33 and Nothing (Reissue). That was the point at which I determined I had to acquire one of these. Ten years passed and when I finally had my first M8M in my hands, I fell in love with it immediately. The scale length, the piano esque clean tone, DAT SNARL....it was perfect! Unfortunately, hard times happened a while ago and I had to sell it (I found out later the guy who purchased it is a fellow SSOer) but I recently fell into a large sum of money and was able to acquire a new one. I reached out to Rich Harris (LEGEND) and he handpicked a beauty for me....REUNITED AT LAST:hbang:

Regarding the Ibanez M80M vs. M8M tonal debate...They’ll both get you Meshuggah tones, but with definite variations. I owned two M80Ms (sold them) and I can say that the M8M CRUSHES them. The M80M has this upper mid thing going on and can get a little out of hand if you don’t dial things in properly. The M8M, however, is much more forgiving, possessing massive low end yet keeping it tight and articulate. It also seems to be more pronounced in the low miss, which I prefer. I know some folks don’t believe in tonewood, but these two scream it, with the difference between the Ash and Alder being night and day. Both 8 strings, yet two different worlds entirely.

The M80Ms solid for what they are, but goddamn....The flaws from the factory were painful to say the least. In fact, I had to reach out to Hoshino and send one in to have it fixed under warranty (they did a great job). Still, when you pay 1500 for a guitar, you expect it to not have any of that shit... I suppose when you buy Indo anymore you should take into account the gamble you’re taking with your money. With Sugi and the M8M, I can’t find a damn flaw anywhere. In fact, Rich texted me when he went to pick out my M8M and said “I found something and figured I’d show you because I want to know if it would be an issue to you.” Here I am thinking the worst.....It was a fuzz, people. A tiny hair semi trapped under the finish on the headstock, which I could not locate after receiving the guitar:lol:. My point here....If you ARE going to take the plunge on the M8M, the only person you should contact is Rich from Ibanez Rules. He is a true stand up guy who will get you what you want, how you want it and nothing you don’t need.

Honestly...If you have the cash and 8 strings are your thing, I’d say go for it. I’m sure you will absolutely love it. I have a feeling these will not be in production a few years from now (just a hunch, no solid evidence of this), so it might be the time to snag one!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  7. Type_R3387

Type_R3387 SS.org Regular

“ It also seems to be more pronounced in the low mids” (not miss)

8. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

My M80M is pretty close to flawless. I read a ton of conflicting reports before purchase and bought through Sweetwater to minimize the risk and received a superb instrument. The tonal contradictions make me scratch my head sometimes, like how it can be super tight, aggressive and snarly yet warm and chewy at the same time without being sterile. The scale and pickup work together perfectly and it has some really nice wood and build quality for the price point. Also the tone knob functions perfectly and can get closer to neck pickup cleans than one would expect for a long scale with the pickup so close to the bridge.

Many complained about the price of the Sugi model for it's utter simplicity and finish. But I kind of respected the fact that Ibanez offered it at all, price point be damned. It's pretty cool that you can get pretty much the same exact guitar the Fredrik and Marten use everyday built by the same folks that build theirs. It would probably be the first thing I'd buy if I lucked into some silly money.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Acaciastrain360 likes this.
  9. Acaciastrain360

Strange that it’s poor quality even with a £1k price tag! My agile doesn’t even have sharp fret edges!

10. Acaciastrain360

Great write up man :D thanks for opening that all up!
    Now... how much did ibby pay you??
    Only joking :)

Type_R3387 likes this.
  11. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

I’m not even joking, the 8 string 30” agile I bought previous to the M80M was a lot better instument(albeit with shittier electronics). Take it with a grain of salt but, the M80Ms pretty much suck for the price. Yes, I know, the scale length and lundgren pickup...but really the agile played better. Had better frets and playability, just needed electronics upgrades.

I’d imagine a TAM100 or M8M to be the absolute best when you talk 8 string completeness, unless you go custom. Sign me up for a Tam 100 though...

BigViolin likes this.
  12. BigViolin

Me too, I think Tosin designed such a cool, unique instrument. And I usually really dislike gold hardware and block inlays.

My M80M still kicks ass though. They don't all suck. :D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The TAM100s were freaking dogs. The tops were usually disappointing, and the quality just wasn't that great relative to price, especially considering that at the time you could get a J.Custom 8 with the same bridge and a much better top (which is saying something :lol:) for the same price.

I play music and jephjacques like this.
  14. BigViolin

Were the J customs with that bridge a custom order or an actual model?

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It was an "actual" model in the sense it was offered globally. It was a "limited edition", but there wasn't a set production number and they were available somewhat regularly for a number of years after they stopped production.

The JCRG813 was originally offered in 2013, but I remember some retailers had them clear into 2015/2016. I think DCGL didn't sell thiers until last year or something.

Heck, Ibanez Rules still has one. :lol:

16. BigViolin

Very cool, thanks for the info. :cheers:

17. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

My M8M was flawless and amazing, I still regret selling it. I got mine significantly cheaper than the list price, I don't think they're really "worth" 6 grand but if you find a used one for less than 5 it's absolutely worth the money.

18. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

It's one of those things I plan to get when I've got:

a) Everything else I want.

and

b) A spare 5 or 6 k I'm not doing anything with.

I play music likes this.
  19. Rational Gaze

Rational Gaze LithiumDawn Voicebox

It looks like the M80Ms are hit or miss for folks. I have loved mine since I got it. Mine is actually very well put together and it is by far my favorite 8. If I could have gotten an M8M, I would, but it was way out of my price range.

With that said, and this echoes a poster above, my Agile 828 Intrepid was actually my favorite 8 string I have ever owned. Somehow, I just got the most pristine, well put together instrument. It was so damn responsive and forgiving to play, and sounded massive. I had to sell it off but damn do I miss that thing.

20. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

I bought one in 2015. It was listed as B-stock which was simply because it had been hanging on a wall for a while but they took about 20% off the reg price for something that was in mint condition so I thought it'd be the only time it was worth spending that kind of cash on such an instrument.

But I'm glad I did. The M8M plays as well as any instrument I have ever owned and it's just so incredibly well built. Not sure I'd spend the list price on it seeing as it has a limited range of use due to the scale length etc but I'll never get rid of this one for sure.

Type_R3387 likes this.