Guitar strings: Elixir alternative?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Rectionmaarten, May 26, 2013.

1. Rectionmaarten

Rectionmaarten Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've got a little question. I've been using several brands of strings over the years. I've been using coated Elixir strings for a while now. I really dig the punchy sound of them. They sound really clear and the highs you get with these strings are amazing.
    BUT they seem to lack a bit in the lows. I've also used DR, D'Addario,... but the sound of those strings sucks compared to the elixir (by my opinion). They sound dull and undefined compared to the elixir and have bring out too much of the lows for me.

So I'm looking for strings with the definition and highs of coated Elixirs, but don't lack in the lows. Does anyone have any advice for me?

I'm planning on trying one of those Ernie Ball Cobalt sets, has anyone tried those? And how did you like them?

By the way, I play in drop B. (6 string)

2. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Is it possible that your low tuning simply requires you to try a heavier bottom string? What's your scale?

3. Symb0lic

Symb0lic Death Metal fanboy

I used to use .11 gauge Dunlop strings for B tuning when I was obsessed with Carcass, and I wasn't happy with the sound or the feel, so I tried Dean Markley Blue Steel .12s, and they're the best I've found for a low tuning. They seem to have a little extra mid/low punch, and a nice growl to them.

Not sure if it's the brand or the heavier gauge that helped, but they definitely improved it.

4. Scruffy1012

Scruffy1012 BMOD

This, also whats the exact gauge you use ? i use 12-60 D'addario on my drop b Dellinger, haven't had any issues what so ever. Maybe use a elixir set for you lower strings and a single D'addarrio or Ernie ball for the lowest ?

5. Rectionmaarten

I have an ESP Eclipse VBII with a 24,75" scale.
    I first used the 010-052 elixir set, but the gauge wasn't heavy enough and after that I started using the 7 string set without the 010, so 013-056.

I've also used the 12-16 D'addario, but that gauge was a bit too heavy (personal taste). The thing is, I really dig the sound of the elixirs and I would like to try a set of elixirs with a heavier gauge than 056, but they don't have heavier string (except baritones, 068).

6. Rectionmaarten

Yeah I've heard about Dean Markley's, maybe I should give them a try! Thanks

7. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

With a 24.75 I'd heavily recommend the Skulls 62/12 set. But they can be hard to come by. They have an excellent lifespan and are what I like best on my LP In B standard. Another good one was the dunlop ZW set (don't remember gauges exactly) but they are looser and more adapted to metal with blues roots than straight brootalz, easy bends and crazy ZW harmonics.