Guitar strings: elixir alternative?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Rectionmaarten, May 26, 2013.

1. Rectionmaarten

Rectionmaarten Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've got a little question. I've been using several brands of strings over the years. I've been using coated Elixir strings for a while now. I really dig the punchy sound of them. They sound really clear and the highs you get with these strings are amazing.
    BUT they seem to lack a bit in the lows. I've also used DR, D'Addario,... but the sound of those strings sucks compared to the elixir (by my opinion). They sound dull and undefined compared to the elixir and have bring out too much of the lows for me.

So I'm looking for strings with the definition and highs of coated Elixirs, but don't lack in the lows. Does anyone have any advice for me?

I'm planning on trying one of those Ernie Ball Cobalt sets, has anyone tried those? And how did you like them?

By the way, I play in drop B. (6 string)

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Circle K sounds like a good option for you. I switched to them from D'Addario and found that in addition to having better intonation, the Circle K's had a bit more punch and clarity on the lower strings, which could help you since you're in drop B.

3. Rectionmaarten

Yep that's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks

4. lemonlust

lemonlust Well-Known Member

Circle K strings are too short if you have a guitar that strings through the body

5. erotophonophilia

erotophonophilia SS.org Regular

Just what I was gonna say. The wraps, that hold the ball ends in place, are too short for string throughs, and will break. I love Colbalts because of their tone, and feel softer than NPS strings.

6. Yo_Wattup

Yo_Wattup Kick the Butterfly

Wow, couldnt disagree more on the cobalts, they are mush harsher in the highs than standard daddario/ernie ball nickels, and the amount of string noise! Very rough on my hands and ALOT of string squeak.

7. Rectionmaarten

I read a lot mixed feelings about the cobalts. Guess I'm just gonna try them them.

8. TIMEwaveXERO

TIMEwaveXERO SS.org Regular

Heck i'm the same. Been using Elixir's for years but just ordered a set of Cobalts for my 7. Give it a go I suppose and see how they are. Might be great, might be rubbish. See what happens