Guitar Center Scam

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by possumkiller, Sep 29, 2016.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/TOKAI/FV95-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

This is in my local Guitar Center in Killeen, Texas. I mentioned this guitar in my NGD thread. I actually had this guitar on layaway when I thought it might actually be a Japanese made FV95. It is NOT. It is a Chinese made FV40. The Japanese FV95 is a faithful replica of a 1970s Gibson Flying V. It has a mahogany body, mahogany neck, and rosewood fretboard. The FV40 is a cheaper Chinese version made with cheaper hardware, electronics and a basswood body with maple neck. Tokai made the two distinguishable by changing the pickguard shape on the FV40 which the one at Guitar Center clearly has. The Guitar Center ad lists this guitar to be in good condition. It says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the front and back of the headstock as well as half of the back of the neck being sanded to bare wood. The only reason I can think of for anyone to do this would be to prove to themselves that it is an FV40 and not an FV95. I mentioned all of these things to the manager and he put it in the back for a few weeks until he could "find information" on it to properly price it. I was even still considering getting it if they would drop the price to something reasonable for a mangled Chinese guitar. However after a long wait and the manager lying about not being able to find infor on it, I found a lot easier way to get a custom ordered Chinese Flying V so I got a refund and they put this back on the rack as an FV95. Now they have added it back to the online store so I just wanted to warn you guys about it.

Japanese FV95 for reference.
    http://www.tokaiguitarsaustralia.com.au/tokai_vintage_fv.html

https://reverb.com/item/973885-2009-tokai-vintage-series-fv95-electric-guitar-cherry

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23135&sid=fc70abecc13f336e8b628bdc45d3ea06

Chinese FV40
    http://japanguitarblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/tokai-modelo-fv-40.html (the white one on bottom is the same one GC is claiming to be and FV95)

EDIT: I also used the site to contact the store and sent them this message.
    I'm inquiring into product #112280122

This guitar is NOT an FV95. It is a Chinese FV40 with half the neck sanded to bare wood. There is NO WAY it is worth $800 not even brand new. Since you guys can't seem to find any information on the FV40, I found some for you.
    This is an FV40 like you have. The white one on bottom is the exact same model you have.
    http://japanguitarblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/tokai-modelo-fv-40.html

THIS is a high quality Japanese made FV95.
    https://reverb.com/item/973885-2009-tokai-vintage-series-fv95-electric-guitar-cherry

Also check the specs. The Japanese FV95 has a MAHOGANY BODY AND NECK. The Chinese FV40 has a BASSWOOD BODY AND MAPLE NECK. The FV95 has an ABR-1 type bridge with thin posts and thumbwheels. The FV40 has a metric large post bridge with inserts. The FV95 has a large 70s style pickguard. The FV40 has smaller different shaped pickguard (to further distinguish itself as an FV40).

There are only two reasons for the neck to be sanded down the way it has. One would be for someone to prove to themselves which guitar they had if they weren't sure. The other would be to get rid of the Made in China printed under the paint on the back of the headstock.

Either way stop trying to get $800 for a mangled Chinese guitar. You are going to wind up seriously ripping off some kid that doesn't know any better. Or is that the goal?

Edika likes this.
  2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

took me about 10 minutes to find the differences between the pickguards.

3. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

Unfortunately guitar center doesn't care about this in most cases. To them its simply a used guitar that they have X amount of dollars invested into it and they are going to try anything to get that money back out of it. They probably know full well what it is now. My guess is if the mistake was reversed and they bought a FV40 and found out it was 90 they would surely make good on that flub. But still for every guitar they sell like your example I have also walked into their store and found a smoking deal on things like old USA hamers they thought were imports. That does suck they are doing that. But most tokai enthusiasts are pretty good at vetting a situation like this. Thanks though for looking out.

4. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Yea Guitar Center's used pricing is famously uninformed. Sometimes it results in astronomical prices like this, other times you can get absolute steals. You just gotta put in the research.

5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Don't think they can successfully scam anyone :lol: they have a return policy. But good call either way, maybe anyone who was considering can get educated and see it for what it really is.

6. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Let's face it, if I had a dollar for every mis-labeled item on GC used I'd be retired. We're talking about the company that had my Jackson I just got listed as "Candy Cola" when the guitar has the Jackson hang tag on it that says "Black Cherry" :lol:

7. possumkiller

It wouldn't be so bad if they labeled it properly. I mean they can charge what they want and nobody has to buy it but straight up lying to make a cheap guitar out to be an expensive one is pretty shady. I also know GC doesn't have the most knowledgeable staff as I can't count the times people have pulled 22 fret bolt on and set neck guitars off the wall when I told them I was after a 24 fret neck through.

8. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

What left a sour taste in my mouth regarding GC was a couple yrs ago I found a Dean Razorback listed in GOOD condition and bought it. Got it and opened it up to find elec tape holding the wiring to the pots. No big deal but it wasn't "functioning" as described. Also discovered the body was cracked on both sides of the neck-pocket. Sent it back/ no hassle. Told them that imo it should be listed in fair condition and that it should be reduced in price.

What subsequently ticked me off was that a few days later, the same guitar came back up for sale only this time it was STILL listed in good condition AND they had actually RAISED the price by about $20. They knew the guitar was trashed and yet they not only listed it [deceptively] as good condition but also had the audacity to raise the price. Same guitar/ same serial #.

9. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Lose some, gain some. It's true that they mislabel everytime. You just got to take advantage of it. I scored a US Custom shop Jackson from GC that they thought was an import X series.

10. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

This

pointless to get mad at a mislabeled guitar when there are so many smoking deals there. They literally sell millions of used gear, it would actually be impossible to get everything correct. Be reasonable.

11. possumkiller

I was sure pointing it out and providing information was reasonable. Relisting it with the same false model number and high price is knowingly trying to rip someone off. Like someone sanding off the serial number and headstock logos of a low end Chinese LTD and trying to sell it as a Japanese ESP for 800$.

12. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Guitar center blows at looking into gear. They gave me $350 for an Ibanez AEL207 (or whatever the hell it's called. It's a 7 string acoustic and I bought it for $400 new.) It's only ever worth trolling around the used section if you know what you're looking for and how to spot errors others might not notice.

I've gotten many good deals on gear going through their used section. Still sucks that they've been made aware and they're false advertising. Hopefully someone less knowledgeable doesn't buy it and get ....ed out of a bunch of money.

13. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I'm not seeing the difference in the pick guards

EDIT: Oh I see. The pickguard either runs along the top of the tail piece or the bottom

14. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

GC sold me a "good" condition Ibanez photographed from a bad angle, in a dark store, with a flash glare obscuring a portion of the body...

I received a dusty, grimy guitar single-boxed in a single layer of scotch-taped bubble wrap, missing a pickup cover, trem bar, the zero-point system springs and bar, screws, knobs, switch tip, and with awful, unplayable fretwork and a green buildup on the neck.

It just so happened that I bought it intending to replace all the electronics and refret it stainless; so I kept it and sold the stock dimarzios. So the price ended up being right by sheer fortune. But imagine how anyone else would have felt.

Another time, I got a sweet deal on a mislabeled Parker Fly. You win-lose; you some-some.

15. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

One time, I asked about an Axe FX Ultra that was in the used section, the guy scanned it and pulled up the price on the computer, $75.00, I had about $30 to my name (crappy job at the time + rent due) :/

16. possumkiller

Guys the point is not about the good and bad deals available in the GC used department due to employee ignorance.

The whole point of this thread is that people at this particular store now know exactly what they have and they are knowingly trying to sell it as something it is not and at a price far higher than it is worth. That's all I'm trying to do is warn people about a fraudulent advertisement.

It would be different if this was the typical case of them not having a clue.

17. SwanWings

SwanWings SS.org Regular

18. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

That actually hurt my insides a little that you missed out on that lol

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Actual convo I overheard at GC:

Honestly, I don't understand this guitar being worth $800 in any case. I would hope most informed buyers would take that into consideration. If someone can't be bothered to learn more about this guitar and determine that $800 is too much, either before purchasing or before the return policy expires, then I suppose, they would simply get taken by the next scammer anyway...

20. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde