Good Rack Stereo Power Amp & EQ for POD HDX Pro

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ElRay, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I’m looking to get a rack-mount stereo EQ & power amp to pair with a POD HDX Pro.

The EQ just has to be good enough to do that final tweak for the speakers/cab/room so I don’t have to adjust any patches. The big “want” is XLR inputs/outputs.

For the power amp, I’m not too concerned about total output, but I do want clean/uncolored, XLR-in, balanced-out and some kind of a master volume.

2. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    ElRay likes this.
  3. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

RE: Balanced Out on the power amp:

My confusion. I saw power amps with Speakon Connectors that were labeled with +/- and I thought they were balanced out. I didn’t want to limit myself to a particular connector, so I went with the general.

What I saw with XLR connectors were powered speakers and AV amps.

After doing a bit more research, it’s Speakon connectors I’m looking for on the output.

4. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Speak-on is a bit overkill on low power short runs.

ElRay likes this.
  5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Crown XLS series is somewhat of a go-to, QSC stuff too yeah. Speakon is generally what you will find on such poweramps even if it is unnecessary in a given circumstance - probably because it makes it more universal, monitors are generally speakon etc.

The EQ - budget?

ElRay likes this.
  6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Check out the DBX 215S eq. Should fit your needs, plus they're built really well. I had the 31 band version in my rig for a while and it was solid.

As for the power amp, I recently got a Carvin DCM200L to pair with my Axe FX and it's awesome so far. It has XLR or 1/4" inputs and 1/4" outputs to use with normal speaker cables/cabs. Otherwise the QSC/Crown options are good and easy to find. I've seen tons of bands use them :yesway:

ElRay likes this.
  7. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I haven't nailed that down just yet, because I don't know what range "good" is yet.

I'd like to be around $500 combined (I don't need NIB).

The other thing that I just thought of was that it needs to be able to sound good at lower volumes too.

8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I presumed a similar budget and was also going to suggest DBX :)

ElRay and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  9. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

How do the XLS and the XTi series compare?

10. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Mosvalve 942 for the poweramp gets my vote. Love mine

ElRay likes this.
  11. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

Peavey classic 50/50 tubes power amp, or QSC solid state. both are stereo and an Ashly PQX-572 for the EQ. A 7 band fully parametric does a great job, plus is has output splits incase you want to feed multiple amps or sources. It does sound good, I've done all these combinations in the past.

ElRay likes this.
  12. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

:drool:

13. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

It is a great EQ. The best I know of even close to the price. The net step up in quality is well over a thousand dollars. Like a Great River EQ or something. I also use it for mixing/pa guitar rig etc. It is a jack of all trades EQ for sure and is very transparent. I wishthey never stopped making them but you can get them for about $300 in the used market in good shape. The Peavey is also a great workhorse amp too and it has some color to the tone but it's the best tube power amp for the money imo. The QSC are very reliable and fairly transparent. It's got pretty good oomph factor for a solid state. What really cool about the PQX is that every single band has it's own bypass too. It makes a/b'ing really easy or you can have it setup with a couple band for one sound then just turn a couple bands on'off for another sound almost like having a couple presets. If you just want a little more cut in the mix for a song or something just turn on an extra band with the treble boosted or something like that. I love this EQ.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    ElRay likes this.