Going the MODEP/RPi4/PiSOUND Route

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
UPDATE: PiSOUNDS are back in stock. I have one on order. While waiting, I also picked-up a 7" Touch Screen, so the plan is to build on this an make something with a touchscreen minimalistic control, but I'll have to code that part myself.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's been a while since I updated this thread.
  • I started down the Gentoo road. I finally got a version installed and bootable on the RPi4, plugged it in to the networks via ethernet, rebooted, and had zero network access.
  • Put this whole thing on hold until I had time to devote to Gentoo
  • Life got in the way
  • MOD Devices went bankrupt - MOD Devices is bankrupt …
  • While archiving everything MOD Devices had on their GitHub account, I discovered there was a 'MOD Platform Bootable Live Image' repository that has build scripts
    • The MOD schtuff runs on an "arch-based" system
  • Got the RPi4 running the latest version of 64-bit Arch (wired and wireless networking included) in about an hour (vs days & days for Gentoo)
So, the next step is to build the MOD components from source code.

Last edited:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, things have taken a sharp turn.

Since MOD Devices announced their insolvency:
  • Blokas has announced an update to MODEP/PatchBoxOS to the latest version of the MOD codebase
  • I found out that Tree Fall Sound has released a 64-bit version of their PiStomp code that includes the latest version of the MOD codebase and ≈650 plugins.
Since the Blokas code was only 32-bit and did not include any plugins, I went with the PiSound 64-bit build.

It was a relatively easy install. Since I already had a RPi4 running the latest OS from a SSD, I skipped the section of creating a bootable microSD. I missed that the scripts depend on the user being 'pistomp', the pistomp user's home directory being '/home/pistomp' and the code installed into '/home/pistomp/pi-stomp'. Nothing that adding a new user and softlink couldn't cure.

Since the MOD Wiki stated that they compile the MOD code using:
Code:
-O3 -mcpu=cortex-a35 -mtune=cortex-a35
, I built the PiStomp code with:
Code:
-O3 -march=native -mcpu=native -mtune=native -pipe -ftree-vectorize -fomit-frame-pointer

I also had to manually configure 'jackd', because I was using a USB audio interface and not one of the per-configured GPIO boards.

So far, this has been a huge success and I plan on replacing the guts of my ancient Crate Two-Tone (2x independant guitar inputs, 2x independent headphone-out, built-in effects and a CD-in jack) with a full PiStomp kit. I've hung on to this amp because:
  • It was killer when new
  • There's a good bit of sentimental value
Using a PiStomp kit, I can basically re-create the amp with a modern multi-effects pedal for the brains.