Geek metal

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Scriff1985, May 2, 2011.

1. Scriff1985

Scriff1985 Well-Known Member

Sephael likes this.
  2. thedrummerkid

thedrummerkid Sweater Bandit

Perfect quote to start it. The drums need a tad polishing and as you stated some tighter playing.
    The tone is good.
    Pretty solid tune dude.

3. Scriff1985

Ta dude, appreciate the feedback. I think the drums need humanizing, more variation and fills and such, no?

4. Radicz0r

Radicz0r Worst Dude

Hey man! The snare drum is too loud and hollow. try turning up the mids and highs until that snare lies better in the mix.

5. iceythe

iceythe SS.org Irregular

I agree with the snare. It seems to lack the initial crack attack, and in compensation the rest of its volume has been increased. If you put an envelope shaper or a compressor with 10-15 ms attack it should liven it up :)

Compositionally, just awesome. Riffs are right up my street, very tasty. Great tone, too. What are you running guitars into?

6. Saywah

Saywah Member

Awesome stuff dude, I would agree with the "making it a little tighter" comment, but other than that it's very cool.

I also gave your Terminator Theme a listen - love it!

7. IshiiKurisu

IshiiKurisu No One

It just needs a good EQ and someone like God to play the drums. After that, you'll be a new metal God.

8. Deckard

Deckard SS.org Regular

Hahaha, the beggining was funny! Agreed on humanizing the drums a little bit more a treating them more with eq and compresion, in this type of music it can make the song much more alive and powerfull. Try to start messing around with that.

9. Scriff1985

Thanks very much. I'll defo look into the drum mixing, still have a huge ways to learn about that and compression in general so hopefully with a few more hours invested it'll start to come to life more.

Guitar wise its a Jackson SLAT3-7, I'm running DI through a UX1 to Cubase, then doing all processing on the tracks, using mostly Line 6 bits and pieces (Noise gate, Compressor), the Treadplate Dual model, then Boogex with some random Mesa 4x12 impulse i found somewhere, and then Cubase own 30 band EQ to cut some highs and lows, then Cubase compressor and reverb to finish it off. :)

Aww schucks :) guess I better get better and programming and mixing SD2 then!