Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by flexkill, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, this, really. Honestly, Season 8 has some writing flaws, but it's still full of great dialogue, great acting, and some pretty spectacular action sequences. It's rare for shows to START this strong, much less finish this strong, even if it represents a decline from the show at it's peak.

And, years down the road, it's hard to remember just how shocking some of these developments were. I'd read the books so I knew what to expect, and I hadn't started watching the show at the time, but I remember chuckling at the collective meltdown I saw happening on Facebook one morning and realizing the show must have caught up to the Red Wedding. This is worth a watch as a refresher:

There aren't too many TV shows I can think of who've ever pulled off such a gut-punch to their viewers. And, personally, I thought Hodor's story was worse, I'm still not over that. :lol:

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I didn't react to Hodor getting killed at all, people tell me that makes me a monster. I guess I can't get teary when ridiculous partially cgi'd wall climbing zombies are involved.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

the only death that actually bothered me was wunwun. :p

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Exactly. Has GoT declined over its past few seasons? Certainly. However, it tends to receive way more than its share of criticism when it falters specifically because it has been so good. Game of Thrones at its very worst is still leagues beyond most of the other shit on television. Because it's a television phenomenon though, expectations always grow higher and higher, and I don't think there's a television production company in existence that could produce a show like this that's just as good in its 8th season as prior.
    You, sir, are as soulless as the CGI zombies that killed Hodor.

mongey likes this.
  5. wankerness

Pff. I very nearly cried like a big dumb homo at the last episode of Better Things!

6. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

^ This.

Pause. Pouring one out for the homie.

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Well I liked it. Best episode this season by far.

BIG ND SWEATY and The906 like this.
  8. The906

The906 Contributor

I had to break half way through but even that is more coherent that the first 4 eps.

9. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

I also enjoyed this episode. Just a shame how we got here was because of all these dumb mistakes and decisions characters made that seemed out of character...

Didn't really get the point of Arya's pov though...seemed really unnecessary

10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Spoiler tag not working... EDITED THIS MESSAGE FOR CONTENT. MY NEXT POST CONTAINS SPOILERS BELOW!

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  11. PunkBillCarson

SPOILERS BELOW, BECAUSE SPOILER TAG ISN'T WORKING FOR ME FOR SOME REASON! DO NOT READ AHEAD IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED!

...but somehow Daenerys has become the absolute biggest cunt in this entire series in just an hour and thirty, and believe me it's not like she's been without some competition. For whatever their flaws, Ramsey, Joffrey, Cersei and the rest of the assholes don't come close to what this bitch has just done. Bravo, because now she just needs to be killed and ASAP. Still would have preferred if the NK had ended up being the ultimate big bad, but now we see that as dangerous as Cersei ever was, she NEVER came close to this, even with the wildfire shit she pulled awhile back. Merciless slaughter that went beyond soldiers, to civilians including children. I will rejoice when this bitch dies.

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Probably because she's going to be unwavering in her stance against Dany now. Without her pov of the massacre, Jon would have been like... "it's not great but...she's my queen...I think...", but now he'll actually have to make a decision.

13. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

I thought it was the worst episode of the entire show.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

Welp I had a feeling Dany was going to lose her shit and burn civvies. I was right. The gore in this episode was great at least, and seeing the Golden Company get completely decimated was kind of a waste. Arya's perspective was a complete waste of time/filler. At this point in the show I wouldn't have cared if she'd been crushed by boulders in the red keep. Clegane Bowl was a nice distraction from watching people scream/get set on fire for the whole episode. I liked Euron's little quip about being the man that killed Jaime Lannister. \
    Definitely a way better episode than the previous one.

15. wankerness

I...still don’t quite know what I think, but I definitely liked it a hell of a lot more than the Battle of Winterfell.

After initial “omg they just nullified Jamie, character arc fail!!” I realized that it was actually kinda truer to the character (and to real life with toxic relationships!!) and think now I like it. After initial “huh?” on Daenerys, I thought back to her exchange with Jon at the beginning and realized “oh, this was completely telegraphed and also makes sense going back in the series.” She has no way of holding any control over the kingdoms other than fear, so she has to do something that will rather unquestionably scare the shit out of everyone. I liked her in this episode, and liked Emilia Clarke’s acting much more than usual.

I liked that the regular soldiers and Grey Worm went all Mai Lai instead of behaving like they were honorable automatons like we’ve seen.

The biggest sticking points for me were some terrible dialogue and the Euron scene. And most of all, that ponderous ending with Arya and the inexplicably calm horse in SUPER slow motion.

Great effects this time, all that dragon destruction was pretty awesome.

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

First, your spoilers aren't working because your text is outside them. Treade these squiggles for the hard brackets, but the form is {spoiler}PunkBillCarson is bad at spoilertags!{/spoiler}

Second, I don't agree.
    This didn't come of nowhere. Rather, we as readers/viewers were just paying attention to the wrong things, so we missed something that was a LONG time in the making.

Dany has always been weirdly cool about burning enemies alive. In rough order:

*her lack of reaction to her brother's "coronation."
    *burning the witch who killed her unborn baby and Khal Drogo, on top of Drogo's funeral pyre
    *the necromanceers in the Houses of the Dead
    * the slaver who "bought" Drogon, when she then turned the Unsullied and her dragons on the slavers
    *all the other Khals in that tent she locked the doors on and torched, forget if that happened in the books as well and I think maybe it didn't
    *The Tarlys, both father and when he volenteered son, essentially wiping out the house (Sam had taken the black) for refusing to bend the knee

By the time she condems Varys to death, she's already burnt a LOT of enemies to a crisp, the only difference being that up to Tarlys we think they "deserved it," and it's only then where we as viewers/readers start to wonder, "hey, maybe that was a little excessive" when she executes someone by burning them alive. Varys is complicated, she has her reasons but so does he, and his major concern was she WAS going to burn King's Landing to the ground. When she then snaps, loses her temper, and decides that even though the army surrendered she's still going to raze King's Landing to the ground, no matter how many innocents she kills.... I mean, it's not like it's entirely out of character.

Only remaining questions for me are if Arya can get to her (and survive the dragon, if she succeeds), and what Jon will do when he has to choose between his sister and his Mad Queen.

Hands down, though, the best episode of the season. I only have a few minor quibbles.
    *Why even bother with the Golden Company, if we're going to introduce them, let Harry Strickland make some creepy faces, and then BBQ them on the front lawn before the castle gates?
    *Cersei and Jaime's end was actually rather fitting... but, that was a third ignored prophecy
    *semi-relatedly, the fact Jaime even managed to make it to Cersei after his fight with Euron stretches credibility a little, but whatever
    *while the END of Cleganebowl was great, the start was mostly a dramatic background and swords splitting rocks.

Also, I hear alleged spoilers of how the series will end have leaked. Let's keep them out of this thread.

Final non-spoiler-y comment - a lot of the cinematography on this was immaculate. Particularly the very end, with the falling ash. This looks a lot like the episode they're planning to put in for awards season.

17. PunkBillCarson

That she reached new heights though. Yeah, she's been a bit of a bitch before, but this took it to a whole new level. I'm curious to see what happens next but surely Jon wouldn't stand for this and even if he does or doesn't, well he might have to die a second time. What I want to know is, suppose he doesn't and Dany does end up dying. Who's going to kill Drogon? I mean if Bran is still around, is he strong enough to warg into Drogon to allow him to be killed?

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No clue, and that's definitely going to be a major issue for every single character who isn't Dany next week. But, my major point here, is that the books and show have been gradually painting Dany as someone who will have no hesitation burning people alive if she believes it's justified since the very first book and first season, so her burning King's Landing to the ground because she believes that's what it'll take to cement her rule, and it's more merciful in the long run to kill a whole lot of people now with dragonfire, is perfectly in character.

19. PunkBillCarson

You have to think, she at least had some good to her name with having freed slaves and keeping her army from raping the natives when she went to liberate a new city. Not that it makes what she's done right, but perhaps a little bit of a counterbalance to the person she's been. She wasn't just a woman using animals for her own gain, she was using them to help others who needed it and now there is certainly no way to come to any kind of defense for her. It may be in character for her, when it comes to death count? She's really beginning to perhaps be the only one who can touch the NK in terms of sheer brutality. The ironic part about this or maybe that isn't even the right word is that this episode arguably showed the greatest part of humanity in Cersei or at the very least showed her to be far more vulnerable and less cruel and exposed people like Dany and Grey Worm at their absolute worst.

20. wankerness

Why bother with them? Cause it was funny what happened to them! Also kinda showed how much force we were dealing with.

How was that an ignored prophecy? There is another very important character with the same eye color!

This episode looked GREAT and was mostly directed quite well, it's a shocker after how horribly the Winterfell ep was directed by the same guy.

All the crying on the internet about how this is the worst show ever now is kind of putting me on team Dany for the first time ever. I wish she was real and could burn THEM.

I wonder how much overlap there is between these whiners and people that named their kid Khaleesi/Daenerys, though? That may be the name most-changed in the next few months. I hope that's a statistic that can be viewed.

narad and Sumsar like this.