Game Dev channel - opinions I guess :)

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by LuciusBolt, Jun 6, 2019.

1. LuciusBolt

LuciusBolt SS.org Regular

Hey I was thinking of starting a Game dev Youtube channel as that is what I do in my spare time aside from my music.

I have some videos of games I have worked on but I am not sure how good they are or if I am lacking something like a on camera personality , as I do not speak in my videos.

I also have a bit of trouble trying to promote it in order to attain subs/views etc.
    As I do not really touch facebook , twitter and all that stuff. Was on FB ages ago but account got deleted by FB because I did not use my real name.

So basically I am in the dark , the question is how do I make a channel like this work , just in general in terms of gaining a audience and what Is a realistic timeframe to grow that audience when I am putting out content every week.

Maybe people who have done youtube and have seen results as well as some of you who look at games and play them as well of course could help me out here.

Also too if you were watching a channel like this what would you want in terms of content to see.

The problem I am having is that my videos only get like one or two views. So I that is why I am questioning the quality of the content as well as what I might be lacking.

Keep in mind I am not expecting overnight results but I have been trying this for a while on and off with very little results.

As I would really love to do youtube (not for the money, more to just show my work off to people and build a community around what I am doing)

I guess it is just kind of disheartening to not see anyone watching your content and having a dialogue about it. What's good , what's bad , funny bits etc

But then that said I guess I personally need to find out what is lacking in the videos I am producing and at least try to make it better. Or add in stuff that is not there.

But yes any thoughts I guess would be welcomed.

As said before sorry if I am rambling at this point :) The whole point of doing youtube is to use that as a launchpad/promotional tool to get my projects/games I have made out to the public which they can download for free.

So yes feel free to answer - gamers/small or big youtubers/devs anyone really :)

I have a channel ready but no videos on it so I am not really here to promote I am just here to ask for opinions and advice from people who may or may not have experience.

Kind of a Niche idea but maybe there's a audience for it ? maybe not ? please let me know.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

You've sort of already outlined your own challenges - it's up to you to fix those things. You've pointed out a lot of things that are either going to shoot yourself in the foot or make the process an uphill battle:

This seems vague to me. YouTube has a huuuuuge population of content about games. What is your content? Are you teaching something about development? Are you showing off things you've created (demos etc?). Are you trying to present some kind of commentary about existing games? Are you going for a letsplay kind of thing?

Given the amount of content out there, presentation is important. If you're not speaking, then the video needs to be able to stand on its own - it needs to be able to drive itself in some way. If you're not speaking over it (whatever "it" is), then you're leaving a lot to interpretation. It's very possible you will need to speak in the videos if you're expecting to get a clear message across.

Then you're actively ignoring all the major paths to reaching an audience. You can't just create something and expect an audience to come to you. You need to promote those things.

Well.... we can't really provide feedback on something that doesn't exist yet. If you have an idea, present the idea and we can give feedback on that.

LuciusBolt likes this.
  3. LuciusBolt

Hey thankyou for your input , I will keep everything you said in mind but I probably will not go through with this as I am shooting myself in foot without even realising .. And my content may not be that good after all

But again thanks for your input :)

4. LuciusBolt

Also as per your questions

This seems vague to me. YouTube has a huuuuuge population of content about games. What is your content? Are you teaching something about development? Are you showing off things you've created (demos etc?). Are you trying to present some kind of commentary about existing games? Are you going for a letsplay kind of thing?

I am fully aware of that but to answer your question I am showing off stuff I have made through various engines that is it really. Apologies for being very vague on that one.

Given the amount of content out there, presentation is important. If you're not speaking, then the video needs to be able to stand on its own - it needs to be able to drive itself in some way. If you're not speaking over it (whatever "it" is), then you're leaving a lot to interpretation. It's very possible you will need to speak in the videos if you're expecting to get a clear message across.

Thanks for that maybe I might consider speaking in parts of my videos , I am kind of not sure how that might work if I am showing off demos. Unless I am doing a facecam sort of thing while I am either developing the thing in realtime or playing the demo. Or do a transition between the two speaking/playing the demo.

Then you're actively ignoring all the major paths to reaching an audience. You can't just create something and expect an audience to come to you. You need to promote those things.

I am fully aware of the fact this stuff needs to be promoted but I will explain why I don't use FB , Twitter and other platforms

FB - Had an account years ago but It got shut down because I was not using my real name
    I get it is part of their policy but I choose not to use my actual name for personal reasons.

Twitter - Tried it and .... got my account locked for some reason after posting some links
    No they were not to malware or other questionable sites :) They were links to my previous YT Channel content.

Reddit - Haven't really explored this one much but from what I have explored I get a huge unfriendly vibe from Reddit. I don't know maybe I could try again I guess.

Instagram - This might be an idea but I don't have a smartphone. Since Instagram is a very visually driven platform.

Well.... we can't really provide feedback on something that doesn't exist yet. If you have an idea, present the idea and we can give feedback on that.

I did try posting links before but I was not allowed to as I did not meet the requirements for doing so.

Above is a link to the first video it is unlisted but you should be able to view it.
    Let me know what you think.

To any mods viewing - If I am not allowed to post a link like the one above feel free to take it down.

5. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

It looked like a bunch of random clips edited together without any rhyme or reason. The music choice is weird and not something that I'd put over a whole video and you need some kind of narration otherwise its not going to look like more than a collection of random clips, theres no way anyone is going to watch something like that and know whats going on in it. If you're looking to build a community you need to have some kind of personality to build it on and speaking in your videos is a part of that.

LuciusBolt likes this.
  6. LuciusBolt

Hey thankyou for your valuable insight :) I will redo this video later on and maybe reupload and maybe see what you guys think ? As your contributions are giving me new ideas for presentation.

Based on what you have said I can understand why people wouldn't watch this without getting bored.
    So I guess the key points to take away from this are

- Have a personality
    - Better Music Choice
    - Narration to explain what is going on in the video

I am also guessing in terms of a personality I should try and be someone people watching can kind of relate to.

7. LuciusBolt

I would like to thank everyone for their input but I just don't think I have what it takes as I am quite shy and would ramble on a lot , I did try to make a video with narration but after watching it again it is very long and not straight to the point in my opinion. So I most likely won't do this as I don't have what it takes as said before and just don't have the personality that Youtube wants so I am presumably not a good fit.

Thanks for your feedback in regards to the video , at least now I know what is wrong :)

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I didn't get to see what was posted before you took it back down, so I can't comment on that.

What I can do is clarify that I didn't mean to say "don't bother". What I do mean to say is just to be realistic about your goals and expectations. There's nothing that says you can't post whatever you want to YouTube, but there are definitely roads to "success", however you might define that for yourself. There's not any singular personality type that "YouTube wants" or requires- if putting content online is really what you want to do, then do that. But at this point, YouTube is basically now what TV used to be. If you care about the popularity game of it, then you're competing with an enormous pool of talented people with budgets.

Maybe the message you want to get across would be better suited to writing blog posts somewhere?

LuciusBolt likes this.
  9. LuciusBolt

Sorry about that but thanks for your previous input , also the blog thing sounds like a good idea :)