G# (not drop) tuning 6 String baritone

RobPhoboS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've recently picked up my guitars again, and for some reason I've become totally addicted to Cannibal Corpse (again).
I'm just wondering for any recommendations for strings on my Epi Les Paul baritone (27.75") ?

I've currently got this set on it:
D'Addario Baritone Medium (14/18/26w/44/56/68)
But feels a bit chunky and I'm not really getting on with the baritone anymore.

This is what they used:
For the G# tuning - .014 - .018 - .028 (wound) - .042 - .052 - .062 (Earnie Ball 7 string slinky pack is closest for my incoming guitar, same scale length 24.75" as Rob's cad)

TornAnus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you checked any of the Granville guitars youtube videos where Scooter sets up the band members guitars? He talks about the string gauges and tuning in the vids.

Eyelessfiend

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This ^ Scooter is the main tech in my area and his video sorts out the CC guitar setup. He's also really nice to talk to and is usually game to talk shop if you need.

RobPhoboS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah absolutely (which is where the gauges are from), really glad he talks through everything.
It's just that my guitar is obviously a longer scale length, so I presume a lighter gauge would probably work?

Stangstag

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The set you currently have on seems like wayyy too heavy for a 27.75" scale length, even though its tuned down to G#

Most guys in the djent scene use somewhere between .60 - .64 on a G#, and most of them are playing on regular 25.5 scale guitars.

For that tuning and that scale length, i'd probably use the d'addario baritone light guage strings, or their Medium gauge (leave out the .11 and start with the .14) and add a single .64 or whatever you like.

I like using this site as a string tension calculator tool: https://tension.stringjoy.com/
Put in your string guages that you like for normal standard tuning, make note of the tension numbers, then change the scale length and tuning to what your baritone is and try to match or get similar tension numbers.

RobPhoboS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah much appreciated, yeah it felt pretty darn heavy 😟
And jumping from a Jackson RR, to this thing makes it feel like I'm playing a bass, quite fatiguing on the left arm too hah.
I did try looking at one of these calculators but I think I made a mess the other week, I'll try again.

I do have a new guitar arriving tomorrow, solely for this CC purpose, although I might send it away immediately for a set up, or use it as my first victim of setting it up myself (with new tools).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Try 12-54 d’addario XL? I used to run 12-60 on 25.5 but this set seems to work in B with 24.75 so I imagine a bari would be fine a bit lower.

Or try said 12-60 set :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since you're using D'addarios, maybe try the 13 - 62 set. I use the 12 - 60 set in drop G# (yes I read OP) and it's a LITTLE bit slinky on the low strings. Maybe the 13 - 62 would be a good middle ground, especially since your scale length is longer than mine.

RobPhoboS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Appreciate the input guys !
:metal:

I'll check the calculator, and probably get a couple of spare sets to test out, I do have a D'Addario EXL148 set (12-60) spare (although I always prefer a 3rd wound when it's into the 20's).