Full stack conundrum?

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
I love the punch of a full stack, but how do you keep the gain from being abrasive. I've got 2eqs, compressor, delay to give it room, and some reverb to hold it in place but the noise gate won't stifle the gainy high that through',s the high end off on my solo.
By the way, here is a good question, one I'm working on today, can you get the tone for met you want and the tone for the solo you want, and have it all in one preset or setting.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Im so confused on how delay gives something room and then reverb would hold it in place? I would say reverb gives something room and delay makes it move?

OP has some really interesting ways of describing sound/effects from other threads they've started.

I'm not even sure what's really being asked here? Are you asking about treble becoming abrasive? Turn down the treble and presence.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what part of your tone is bothering you. I think the last gig I ever played with a full stack was the night after the day I heard Dimebag was shot. two 4x12" cabs is just a lot of air moving, and it's difficult to control volume. If you really want to push that much air, though, nothing can beat it, or if you really want to piss off your neighbourhood. Pretty much everyone these days uses modelers for recording. I used my 100W tube head, but I paired it with a 212 cab and I overdubbed tracks through a modeler. I thought the guitar tone I ended up with that way was pretty huge.

If you want a huge recorded tone, don't push the gain so hard, let the amp do whatever it does, and layer in some weird tones on top of it. Use a DI and capture a track of raw guitar output to reamp later. Try panning a UK-voiced amp to one stereo channel in the mix and a USA-voiced amp to the opposite stereo channel. Layer in more amps. Don't be afraid to layer in tones that sound horrible on their own, since they might blend well with your main tones to add punch, grit, or "big-ness." Another trick I've used was reamping with a shitty Crate practice amp still in the cardboard box. The tone was icky and middy, but blended so darn well with the scooped tone I usually use that it really thickened up the overall mix so well. I won't guarantee that the same trick will work for you, but it's tricks like that that make recording fun and make mixes sound amazing.

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You've made there different threads today, it seems like you're a bit all over the place. What is your current setup (actual pieces of gear), how do you have it hooked up, what sort of tone are you going for, and what's the context (live, recording, practice)?

Your rig is probably way too complicated. If you can't get a decent tone with just your amp, cab, and maybe an eq, you probably need a different amp or cab. If it's too harsh, turn down the treble. If it's too noisy, turn the gain or add a second gate.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Step 1: Accept that amplified electric guitar at volume is an inherently rude, trebly, ear-piercingly awful sound.dont forget,

Step 1: Accept that amplified electric guitar at volume is an inherently rude, trebly, ear-piercingly awful sound.
Dont forget, your rig hates you as much as you hate it! 😄

Necky379

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think I understand, sort of, what you’re getting at OP and I think this is the answer:

Cabs side by side

You’re standing in front of a vertical full stack with a 4x12 at ear level and blasting your ears with volume, reflections off the walls, ear fatigue, it’s going to be pretty abrasive no matter what you do. Try them side by side.

Alternatively, stand like 5-10 feet to the left or right of the thing or get a set of ear plugs.

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
Not sure what part of your tone is bothering you. I think the last gig I ever played with a full stack was the night after the day I heard Dimebag was shot. two 4x12" cabs is just a lot of air moving, and it's difficult to control volume. If you really want to push that much air, though, nothing can beat it, or if you really want to piss off your neighbourhood. Pretty much everyone these days uses modelers for recording. I used my 100W tube head, but I paired it with a 212 cab and I overdubbed tracks through a modeler. I thought the guitar tone I ended up with that way was pretty huge.

If you want a huge recorded tone, don't push the gain so hard, let the amp do whatever it does, and layer in some weird tones on top of it. Use a DI and capture a track of raw guitar output to reamp later. Try panning a UK-voiced amp to one stereo channel in the mix and a USA-voiced amp to the opposite stereo channel. Layer in more amps. Don't be afraid to layer in tones that sound horrible on their own, since they might blend well with your main tones to add punch, grit, or "big-ness." Another trick I've used was reamping with a shitty Crate practice amp still in the cardboard box. The tone was icky and middy, but blended so darn well with the scooped tone I usually use that it really thickened up the overall mix so well. I won't guarantee that the same trick will work for you, but it's tricks like that that make recording fun and make mixes sound amazing.
Many thanks. I have them side by side, for now.

Gabriel 1313

A minor slip
Reaction score
I think I understand, sort of, what you’re getting at OP and I think this is the answer:

You’re standing in front of a vertical full stack with a 4x12 at ear level and blasting your ears with volume, reflections off the walls, ear fatigue, it’s going to be pretty abrasive no matter what you do. Try them side by side.

Alternatively, stand like 5-10 feet to the left or right of the thing or get a set of ear plugs.
Thank you. I am using a volume control. I only have it at a nice level for me. I can crank the amp and effects but still be at a respectful low volume.