Fret ends on new Prestige guitars?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Speedy!, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Yeah it's common across the x52 maple board range.

Same guitar! It played amazing after that.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

You could buy the guitar you like from Rich ibanezrules.com and have him jazz up the fret ends.

AirForbes1, kylendm and Leviathus like this.
  3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

This for sure. Even if you just got the bronze package they'll be way better, and you'll be paying less than what you would from an online warehouse store.

4. Speedy!

Speedy! Active Member

I considered buying from Rich, but he said he is way behind, and I’d be waiting maybe 2-3 months.

:/

5. Dumple Stilzkin

A wait with waiting for, if you're concerned about sharp frets Rich will transform the guitar to next level status.

Bdtunn and aesthyrian like this.
  6. Speedy!

Speedy! Active Member

So I ended up ordering an RG762AHM after all; Rich said he could get it done in about a week for me! I opted NOT to do his higher level of work (Platinum, gold, or silver) and went with the Bronze level. Because really, all I wanted done was to make sure the fret end were filed down just a tiny bit, and that the guitar was setup for my string gauge and preference.

:)

7. Dumple Stilzkin

You'll love it. Good choice.

8. exo

exo SS.org Regular

I lusted over the blue Burl topped RG852 variant for over a year and somehow magically found one less than 10 miles from my house, and the price they asked for it was so low, I made a profit last year selling it to GC when I figured out 8s just weren’t for “me”....

The fret ends were the absolute SHITS. My daughter’s $80 30” scale “no name” Chinese starter bass was literally on par with the fret ends on a mythical “Ibanez PRESTIGE” Guitar. The RG8002 I sold off after I bought the 852 legit had better fretwork.

Ibanez needs to SERIOUSLY rethink how they handle their maple board Prestiges, if they haven’t already changed course over the last couple of years.....if Rich can “fix” maple boarded guitars, all that really says is the Ibanez isn’t paying those particular guitars enough attention at the factory level........

9. Dumple Stilzkin

Agreed, though I would add that there is so much benefit to getting any guitar set up specifically how you like is the best way to go. It's nice that there are dealers out there like Rich who can really make these guitars perform the best.

10. exo

exo SS.org Regular

A set up? Yeah, no problems with needing to have someone “tweak” a new guitar for you......although I prefer to do it myself ;)

But when there’s no discernible difference in the fretwork between the 852mpb I had and the GRG7221M hanging on the display rack at my local GC? Something is WRONG. My “Prestige” experience left me going “yup, just another guitar”, rather than going “OH! I GET IT!!!!”

11. Speedy!

Speedy! Active Member

So I opted to order the RG752AHM from Rich, and he fixed the fret ends for me. I should receive it March 6th.

:)

In regard to fret ends:

Yes, it is puzzling to me how some guitars with a high price tag can come with such crappy fretwork.

Just yesterday, I took my 13 year old daughter to buy her very first electric guitar.
    (Yay!!!!)
    We checked out a ton of guitars.

I was BLOWN AWAY when she picked up a $299 Jackson Flying V, and the fretwork on it bested the PRS, high end Gibson, and Fender guitars there!!

What the heck? How is this remotely possible? The same thing happened when she tried out an Epiphone Les Paul copy; it was $279, and the frets and setup were better than the $2k guitars.

Obviously, on a more expensive guitar you are paying for (hopefully,) better quality pickups and electronics, premium woods, better tuners, bone nut, etc, as well as the “Brand Name” .

All I can say is that cheap guitars have come a LONG way since I started playing in ‘87.

12. Soya

Soya Poor person

Yeah it's crazy how good budget Chinese and Indonesian guitars are now. I bought a Squire affinity jazzmaster 2 years ago and while it wasn't a particularly inspiring instrument, technically and mechanically speaking there was literally no errors at all. Frets were fine, no paint defects, neck was straight and setup was good. I even liked the sto K pickups for rock. And For 200 bucks shipped to my door, I think that is just crazy.

13. Buthter

Buthter Peasant

Whoa. This website is a time capsule. Please excuse me while I go rinse my eyes for a few minutes.

Viginez likes this.
  14. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

It's kind of crazy looking, but Rich is incredibly knowledgable, skilled, well-stocked, and very nice to deal with. I've bought many odds and ends from him over the years as well as given him vague descriptions of parts I didn't know the name of and he always answers me right away - even for a $3 part.

The906 likes this.
  15. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I'm no expert, but apparently working on frets with unfinished maple (non laquered) is damn hard and time consuming (or so I've heard). I had two Schecters with maple boards with fretwork problems and that was their excuse at the time, so I'm not that surprised if it's a common practice for some companies to cut labour costs. Disappointing, though.

I have an USA Jackson with a maple board and the fretwork is outstanding. Silky smooth with a tight (non beveled) cut, which eliminates any chance of slippage. Best playing neck I've ever had.

Honestly for the price these are going for, having frets like that would be totally unacceptable to me.