Four Cable fx method?

Gabial

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the 4 cabl method, or it's equivalent. I am using my newly purchased Peavey Supreme head with a fourxfour cab. Can't seem to get it right.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You need a multi-FX with an FX loop

Guitar Cable > Multi-FX input
Multi FX Out > Amp FX loop return/Power Amp In
Multi-FX FX loop Send > Amp Input
Multi FX FX loop return > Amp FX loop send/Preamp Out

The multi-FX should have an FX loop block in there. Use that instead of an amp block. You may have to play with the levels and whatnot.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the 4 cabl method, or it's equivalent. I am using my newly purchased Peavey Supreme head with a fourxfour cab. Can't seem to get it right.
I see no mention of anything that would require 4 cable method.

Peavey Supreme head and a 4x12(?) cabinet?

What is your effects gear that you are using or considering? Do you have a digital multi-fx unit? Some standalone effects pedals?

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea I'm seeing one instrument cable guitar into amp and one speaker cable amp into cab.

If you have a multi fx or modeler just type the name of it plus 4cm into YouTube and i bet you get helpful results.

Gabial

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks. I know you can go through the input jack on the amp, but it has an fx loop. With the send and return Jacks. But with the Boss G1- multi, I am not sure I am not sure if. I heard the sound is clearer with the fx loop ingaged.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you mean the boss GT-1, it can't do 4CM. It doesn't have an FX loop.
This. If you have a GT-1 you could run a cable from the guitar to the GT-1 input and run from the GT-1 output (left) to the amp FX return. That’s it. Nothing goes into the front of the amp in this case.

If you do this you’ll basically be using the amps in the GT-1. You’ll be bypassing the gain and tone controls of the Supreme. Even iSo almost none of the knobs on the amp will do anything (except maybe presence if it has that). Even switching channels won’t do anything. The master volume may or may not do anything; it’ll either work like normal or it’ll act as if it’s all the way up and you won’t be able to turn it down from the amp—you’ll have to turn the volume down using the GT-1’s volume control.

The other option would be to go from guitar into the GT-1 input and then into the amp’s input on the front panel. In this case you’d almost certainly want to turn off the amp sims in the GT-1…if you can. I can’t remember exactly how that thing works.

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks. I know you can go through the input jack on the amp, but it has an fx loop. With the send and return Jacks. But with the Boss G1- multi, I am not sure I am not sure if. I heard the sound is clearer with the fx loop ingaged.

Just wondering, are you aware of specifically how and why things in the loop sound "clearer" than they do in the front of the loop? Knowing exactly how this works will help you visualize the 4 cable method, and better understand signal paths in general.

When you route effects through the effects loop, you're placing those effects after the preamp distortion. Everything you run into preamp distortion will be distorted and compressed. If you distort and compress delay and reverb, the spacial effect is kind of lost and all it really does is garble up the sound. Running things in the loop, like delay and reverb, allows you to use those effects clearly without the effects themselves getting distorted, because they're being inserted into the chain after the distortion happens.

Good luck!

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just wondering, are you aware of specifically how and why things in the loop sound "clearer" than they do in the front of the loop? Knowing exactly how this works will help you visualize the 4 cable method, and better understand signal paths in general.

When you route effects through the effects loop, you're placing those effects after the preamp distortion. Everything you run into preamp distortion will be distorted and compressed. If you distort and compress delay and reverb, the spacial effect is kind of lost and all it really does is garble up the sound. Running things in the loop, like delay and reverb, allows you to use those effects clearly without the effects themselves getting distorted, because they're being inserted into the chain after the distortion happens.

Good luck!

Exactly. Most people know that effects sound different before or after distortion. The phrase "four cable method" obfuscates a simple concept.

To make it even more difficult to understand, we could refer to any setup as the "n cable method":

* n=0: wireless systems
* n=1: all you need is a good amp, man
* n=2: either pedals in front of the amp, or a jumper in the effects loop
* n=3: effects in the loop only
* n=4: now we're talking
* n=5: your amp has stereo returns
* n=6: your amp has stereo sends and returns
* n=7: speaker connected to a reactive load, then more effects, then reamped into another amp
* n=8: two MIDI-switchable preamps, with effects before and after
* n=
11: Matt Pike with a pedalboard and nine amps
* etc...

That should really clear things up.

Last edited: