Fortin Nameless Plugin from NeuralDSP

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by narad, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Kaura

Kaura Fender ûber alles

I need more time to figure that out but I guess it's possible. It doesn't really sound that harsh as long as you don't enable the Grind-pedal which is pretty appropriately named as it pretty much just cuts the low end and boosts the high mid range.

2. skewkus13

skewkus13 SS.org Regular

My biggest regret is selling my RG1527 years ago when I was younger. It was my first really nice guitar. Iv tried to even track it down. No luck.

Anyways. For those interested. Fortin just posted saying a demo version will be available on launch.

3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Well then, glad I still have my RG1527. :lol:

Tree and Kaura like this.
  4. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Quick clip. I tried to dial in a tone that doesn't have the "kerrang" / single coil tone (Grind turned off) and something more suited to 6-string / standard tuning. I also compared it with the best patch I could find for BiasFX (completely different rig setup) (Bias FX starts at 11 seconds in).

For the Nameless plugin, I used the built-in cab simulation.

https://soundcloud.com/user-856062320/nameless-vs-biasfx

5. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Definitely preferred the first half of the clip. The second half didn't "oomph" with the palm muting, sounded dull and compressed. More noticeably the growl of the distortion sounded like thinner fine tooth comb waves in the second part. The Fortin clip had more of a real amp "growl". I've found this with many plugins, that tight thin distortion sound. Like Amplitube, it just sounds thinner, more like an 80's distortion pedal going into the clean channel of an amp.

So far the best plugin I've been using is Helix Native, and while I love it, often in the headphones I'm still not yet fully satisfied, though it sounds awesome playing live through my studio monitors. I bought the Fortin the other night, supposed to be available for download by tomorrow morning Can't wait to try it!

Rev.

6. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

This plugin is incredible. I haven't ever used a plugin that felt this natural. In no time I had a better rhythm tone than most of the stuff I have tried to come up with on the Axe-FX II in years. I know this is the honeymoon phase, but it's worth the money at that price. Yeah it's not going to be as versatile as a full modeler or other stuff, but you can still tweak it pretty well to get some different tones if you also add in some FX too. The feel and sound is super real for something purely digital. Very impressed. Just running my Explorer with Fluence Moderns is brutal as shit.

7. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

Kyle Jordan and zarg like this.
  8. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Well, I was about to go to sleep, but I'm nabbing it now too and going to mess with it a bit.

9. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

They weren't bullshitting in the reviews, feels very amp-like. Tone has kind of metallic clang in it, and I'm not sure if I like that too much. Duncan Solar pickups are making it even more like that.

LeviathanKiller and Rev2010 like this.
  10. Krucifixtion

I was able to get an odd almost HM-2 tone out of it if I had Gain 1 maxed. Try messing with the Gain settings and keep the treble and presence backed off.

11. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Gain 1 seems more bass heavy and gain 2 seems more treble heavy. Depending on which one you have more of, you can get a pretty wild range of sounds only with that.

Loving this thing so far. Being a guitar player has never been better.

makecamera likes this.
  12. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Backing off gain 1 and presence helped.

Oh yes, I found video of Soreption's guitarist trying it out.

aesthyrian likes this.
  13. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Just got an email. They added a gate in a new version of the plugin.

Rev2010, Kaura and fob like this.
  14. fob

fob SS.org Regular

Was about to say this!!! FUCK yeah. That’s how you do customer service.

Rev2010 and makecamera like this.
  15. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

I got better results by disabling grind but using a TS simulation instead. Low input and gain 1 maxed out, bass and presence to 0. Gain 2 seems to have some of those harsh high frequencies?

16. Krucifixtion

That's awesome, because the whole time I was like "man this thing needs a Zuul lol"

Kaura likes this.
  17. Kaura

Kaura Fender ûber alles

Haha, just before going to bed last night I was thinking that it would be really nice for them to release an update sometime in the future and add a gate to it. Didn't see it coming this soon.

So it's nice to have the gate but I'm probably still going to stick to using the gate in GR5 since I can adjust the attack on it and I'm just used to having that instant attack. And since it's actually a noise supressor it also gets rid of the unwanted hiss while playing so I don't have to crank it as much as the FNS's own gate. :)

18. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

So, just been playing with it the past hour or so. My opinion... I love it! Really sounds great straight away with minimal tweaking. For those of us that were talking about the metallic twang or "karang" sound, I dialed it out easily. I turned off the Grind pedal which helps the most, but I also found tweaking the two gain knobs helped a lot. I wound up cranking both of them up around to around 9 o'clock. yes that's high but it sounds thick and fat without that twangy metallic sound. Really nice tone. I went with an SM57 and an E906 just off center.

Couple of observations though: I'm looking forward to updates as it still needs work. I had some stuck 100% ASIO spiking when changing between the presets I made. Had to unload the one instance and reload to resolve it. Also, the plugin is indeed very very noisy. Noisier than any other amp sim I own. I really hope they can reduce the inherent noise. The gate knob is nice, hopefully they'll build up the noise gate feature a bit more than just a single knob. I used two gate plugins, one before and one after the plugin for a nice tight quiet sound.

Anyhow, I'd say it lives up the the hype. I spent way way more time trying to make my Helix Native patch sound good and comparing them the Fortin Nameless beats the sound and I spent less than 30 minutes tweaking the sound - most of that time simply listening to the differences in gain and trying the different mics.

*edit - oh yeah, and the note definition is definitely excellent.

Rev.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  19. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I used the demo for all of 5 minutes and just went and bought it. Holy shit

Kaura likes this.
  20. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Activated it on iLok, won’t run in Reaper. This is retarded.

I HATE iLok crap.

setsuna7 and I play music like this.