Formula One thread

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Verstappen got lucky today with the safety car BUT he would have won anyway, he was waaaaaaaay faster than HAM or RUS, we saw it on how VER passed by RUS without any problem. This is the kind of superiority that made me stop watching F1 a few years ago when HAM's mercedes was unstoppable... this year is definitely VER's RB. Even in circuits where the RB is not supposed to be superior he still is the fastest car in the track.

I was expecting more from the change of rules... well, as usual, I get excited for nothing :lol:
Nah, Ham had the pace, he was faster all the time on comparable tyres, except the first stint he was behind Sainz. If the race ran as normal M** had to overtake both of them again. If either safety car came out at an appropriate time instead of waiting a lap for him to get to the pits it would have been over for him.

Like Italy 2019, race director wanted to leave the track alive.

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
Nah, Ham had the pace, he was faster all the time on comparable tyres, except the first stint he was behind Sainz. If the race ran as normal M** had to overtake both of them again. If either safety car came out at an appropriate time instead of waiting a lap for him to get to the pits it would have been over for him.

Like Italy 2019, race director wanted to leave the track alive.
You and I somehow watched a very different race

r33per

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
WHY DID HE STOP IF HE DIDN'T THINK IT WAS AN UNSAFE RELEASE????
Dude: it's just safe driving. Highway Code and all that.

When making progress from a stationary position, look left, right and left again. If there is an Apline coming towards you, slow to a stop and impede their progress.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Dude: it's just safe driving. Highway Code and all that.

When making progress from a stationary position, look left, right and left again. If there is an Apline coming towards you, slow to a stop and impede their progress.
Ah, see the 2022 Highway Code updates haven't been applied to Northern Ireland yet.

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some really unfotunate timing for a number of drivers with the safety cars.
Could/should Lewis have won? Maybe. His non-tyre selection which George (ingeniusly) took killed his chance of winning.
Would Max have won if Lewis changed to softs? Maybe, but Lewis looked bloody good prior to the safety cars.

Main question is: WTH was Alpha Tauri thinking in sending Tsunoda out again? Or was this a brilliant way to get Max the win? [/ inter-team conspiracy]
Reading the article on the F1 website, they say they are 'investigating' the issue. Surely if they thought the tyre was not fitted properly, they had to determine that was the issue before sending him back out?

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
Main question is: WTH was Alpha Tauri thinking in sending Tsunoda out again? Or was this a brilliant way to get Max the win? [/ inter-team conspiracy]
Reading the article on the F1 website, they say they are 'investigating' the issue. Surely if they thought the tyre was not fitted properly, they had to determine that was the issue before sending him back out?
I mean, they did change the tires when he came back in. But he'll almost certainly get a hefty penalty for driving back with his seatbelts undone.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Some really unfotunate timing for a number of drivers with the safety cars.
Could/should Lewis have won? Maybe. His non-tyre selection which George (ingeniusly) took killed his chance of winning.
Would Max have won if Lewis changed to softs? Maybe, but Lewis looked bloody good prior to the safety cars.

It seeeeeeeems that Tsunoda was right that something was wrong with the car the first time. He thought the wheel, incorrectly, then suspension and the team said the data said no. He stopped on his own decision, then the team said he shouldn't stop. In a post race interview he said he didn't take off his belts but the team did tighten them. In the second stop they changed to softs and checked our redid his seatbelts. After that he rejoined the race and the earlier issue he felt appeared in the data and AT told him to stop this time.

This was the last information I saw.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
So De Vries, a reserve driver who is doing is first ever F1 qualification in replacement for Albon, made it to Q2 while Latifi, a regular driver, couldn't with virtually the same car.

Seriously, get Latifi the fuck out of his car. This guy is a waste of seat space and is a shame for his country.

Can't say that Stroll did much better to represent his country but the Astons seems to be way out of pace given that Vettel barely did better.

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
So De Vries, a reserve driver who is doing is first ever F1 qualification in replacement for Albon, made it to Q2 while Latifi, a regular driver, couldn't with virtually the same car.

Seriously, get Latifi the fuck out of his car. This guy is a waste of seat space and is a shame for his country.

Can't say that Stroll did much better to represent his country but the Astons seems to be way out of pace given that Vettel barely did better.
I was ambivalent towards Latifi until this weekend but yeah, De Vries really put the stomp on him in a last-minute debut after years of experience from the Canadian. Probably time to move him on.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a hard time deciding if De Vries or Sainz should be driver of the day, both did awesome, but probably De Vries is the right one because is a debut and that is amazing. This is not the first time Sainz finishes a race winning 10+ positions so... Yeah. I'm good with that.

What I don't like is the dominion of Verstappen+RB that seems to be in the making. I don't want another 3 or 4 years of only one car winning the same way that Vettel did before or Hamilton more recently.

Ferrari is stepping back, Mercedes coming up front and RB creating a gap. It doesn't matter if is the fastest the Saturday or not, sunday is going to be the fastest yes or yes.

I don't like this .

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a hard time deciding if De Vries or Sainz should be driver of the day, both did awesome, but probably De Vries is the right one because is a debut and that is amazing. This is not the first time Sainz finishes a race winning 10+ positions so... Yeah. I'm good with that.

What I don't like is the dominion of Verstappen+RB that seems to be in the making. I don't want another 3 or 4 years of only one car winning the same way that Vettel did before or Hamilton more recently.

Ferrari is stepping back, Mercedes coming up front and RB creating a gap. It doesn't matter if is the fastest the Saturday or not, sunday is going to be the fastest yes or yes.

I don't like this .

I’ve come to accept that in a series that doesn’t do spec machinery this is just a normal part of the process.

The cost cap will help, as potentially new entrants to the field. But this is racing on unequal footing.

Ideally we’ll have 3 top competitors. But right now RB has the fastest car and the fastest driver. That’s a winning combo, as you you examples just showed.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score

Williams messed up and Latifi didn't get to set a second fast time in Q1, though he seemed to have comparable pace. He shouldn't be in F1 on merit, but qualifying wasn't a good example of this.
Is this what it felt like for Lewis fans during Abu Dhabi last year?
No. This race ending was handled properly. If anything the SC should have been brought out earlier, but this has been a problem all year. A red flag wasn't justified and the fastest car one the race.
I’ve come to accept that in a series that doesn’t do spec machinery this is just a normal part of the process.

The cost cap will help, as potentially new entrants to the field. But this is racing on unequal footing.

Ideally we’ll have 3 top competitors. But right now RB has the fastest car and the fastest driver. That’s a winning combo, as you you examples just showed.
The problem with the cost cap is that it limits other teams ability to close the gap.

Sure before we had Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull way out in front with smaller teams way behind. But the field is about as spread today as at the start of the season except for Mercedes and McLaren figuring out their cars; the backmarkers still aren't bringing updates; the BoP budget adjustments are too small to change anything and the teams that benefit the most don't have that money anyway; teams can't fix issues mid season; etc.

Red Bull now has enough of an advantage that it doesn't matter what anyone else does, they're going to be ahead next year. The FIA/FOM has once again made a stupid formula that they haven't thought through.