Formula One thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by TheDuatAwaits, Oct 30, 2012.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Is Zandvoort the one that's only got one road to and from? I feel like my might have a repeat of last year's French Grand Prix. Wonder where they'll put the grandstands. I'm happy Max and the Dutch are getting a Grand Prix again, but I don't think Liberty understood what people meant about historic European races.

2. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

2 roads which mainly run through smaller towns, and a small train station, so nonetheless it will be very packed and pretty much the same scenario I think.
    The organization is very aware of this though and they are setting up all kinds of plans for public transport and bike services which is so typical Dutch but it's actually doable haha.

I do think Liberty very much understood but they just picked a track that wasn't the peoples first choice (like a San Marino for example), I get it isn't up to modern standards and a bit narrow, but isn't that with some of the other tracks too?
    The main reasoning they went with this is obviously all the Dutch hype which is getting bigger every year, which is understandable.

I'm not disagreeing with you completely though I do agree some other old tracks could have been brought back earlier, San Marino being one of them.
    I'd personaly be a big fan of seeing Kyalami return, it might be outside of Europe but it's an old track with some history behind it, and it'd be cool to have a race in that region as well.

StevenC likes this.
  3. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

I will be in Zandvoort next year, for sure.
    San Marino has some problems with the track and resources, and it's narrow too (been there in '06)

StevenC likes this.
  4. Dayviewer

Cool I hope you'll enjoy it! It's a beautiful place.
    Do keep on eye out on accomodations etc, prices in the area are already skyrocketing, it's pretty insane, but I'm sure a lot of transportation options will come into play from other areas.

5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Alonso didn't look great in qualifying for the Indy 500 today. He might not make it to the grid at all...

6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

RIP Niki

7. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Always feels weird "liking" an RIP post. However, I'm with you.
    Quite possibly the definitive sporting comeback story.

StevenC likes this.
  8. TheTrooper

Huge loss for all of motorsport.
    He was something else, honest and no PR bullshit, straight to the point.
    F1 needed someone like him.

StevenC likes this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Come on Ferrari... You're not going to win anything starting in 16th with one of your drivers.

10. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Aye. That qually was a snapshot of the season so far:
    Merc out in front
    Ferrari small mistakes, big losses
    Verstapen consistency
    Gasly rookie error
    Magnesun qually performance good
    Williams also ran

TheTrooper and StevenC like this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I think I've figured Ferrari out. They've built the car more to Seb's driving style. They've clearly strengthened every single part of the car to absorb crashes. Did you see the way he just bounced off the walls? Evidently this extra weight has cost the car some speed.

However, Ferrari are smarter than that! They've figured out that it was all the incidents last year that cost them the championship. Now they won't lose any points in crashes and can cruise to championship number 16.

TheTrooper likes this.
  12. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

What. A. Race.

StevenC likes this.
  13. gartzn

gartzn SS.org Regular

Ferrari last year had a wining car and lost by their mistakes. And this year I don't think they have such a good car, and they are pushing more in other aspects, and that is causing silly mistakes, like the qualy one. I wouldn't like to be in Ferrari right now!

14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Guess I know who I'm supporting this weekend.

TheTrooper likes this.
  15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

That was certainly an evening's entertainment!

Penalty was a bit harsh, but the way Seb deals with these things is unbecoming of a 4x WDC. Especially after all this time: "When did I do dangerous driving" "I have a message for Charlie". Also, Seb gets DotD for doing what Lewis does in most races but adds a little spin.

Very good race otherwise. Great drives from Max, Daniel and Nico. Daniel should have been DotD. Gasly needs to go. Lance has another great run here. Bottas was all over the place this weekend.

(I will now stop complaining about Baku 2017.)

16. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Leclerc also ran.

Penalty ruined it for me. I'm a total LH fanboy, but that was not penalty worth IMHO.

Other than that, good hunting today. Agree with you re: Gasly. Should have had Stroll (who drove well today).

KMag's attitude was a disgrace. Don't want to drive a pig of a car? Don't smash it into the wall less than 24 hours before the race forcing your mechanics to go through a rebuild all night just to get you on the grid. Petulant, stroppy teenager.

JSanta and StevenC like this.
  17. TheTrooper

The Stewards in race direction (whatever they're called) should get a pretty severe spread of cancer in their family/friends/relatives.
    Unbelievable.

18. Dayviewer

Although I get why the penalty was given on the other hand they just should’ve let it slide this one damn time.
    Why? We all know Mercedes is gonna win both titles again this year anyway, just allow somebody else a moment for once, jezus christ.
    The roaring crowd already said enough when Vettel clinched pole and I was so happy and excited too.
    And then this happens, it ain’t fun anymore.

19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I think Marc's take on this is pretty dead on.

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I feel like Gasly needs to go very soon. Verstappen came 4th and he couldn't even score points. I'm starting to really wonder about how bad Hartley was last year and how good the Toro Rosso was. Probably could have won in Bahrain 2018 with a competent driver.

Dominant drive for Lewis, really shows the worst of the point for fastest lap. Valtteri can't be finishing 17 seconds behind, but only a second in front of a Ferrari without an issue. Good job from Charles; Max and Seb seemed to have the positions locked in from the start. Very interesting race behind with the McLarens, Renaults and Kimi. Going to have to watch that a few more times between Norris and Daniel.

Promote Daniil already!