Focusrite Scarlett Solo: Can't get less than 620 samples

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by sezna, Apr 25, 2019.

1. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Hello all,

I'm trying to record with my Focusrite Solo on Windows 10. I've followed focusrite's guide to preparing my computer for optimal driver performance, but I can't set my ASIO4ALL buffer to below 620 samples without severe artifacting and clicking. I read online that the typical sample rate people run with is 128-256. I have a pretty good processor and my computer itself isn't bogged down by background processes. How can I get my sample rate down? Is it the interface's fault?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

There shouldn't be a need to use Asio4All with the Focusrite. It should have its own Asio driver. Try that first

Masoo2 likes this.
  3. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Yeah dont use the Asio4All, use the proper Focusrite Asio ones. I can go into 32 samples if I'm just using Reaper and VST's as "Amp"

4. sezna

sezna undermotivated

It doesn't produce any output at all, and in reaper it says the ASIO driver can't start. I guess I should reinstall it. I'll update here afterwards.

5. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

6. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Update: reinstalled the drivers, used them instead of ASIO4ALL, and the problem was fixed! Barely any latency now, hardly noticeable.

Winspear, mpexus and Joan Maal like this.
  7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Good news! With that out the way, to give you the general info;
    There isn't really a 'typical' buffer setting, nor do they result in the same latency from system to system.
    How low you can set it comes down exclusively to CPU usage - which is of course affected by project complexity.
    General procedure, track with it set as low as possible (without artifacts) with minimal amp sims+cab sims engaged, minimal reverbs etc and anything else that may be demanding.
    Then crank it up as needed during mixing when latency doesn't matter and the CPU starts to struggle at low buffer.

MerlinTKD likes this.