Fishman pickups, why so much hatred now?

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe ive lost touch with keeping my thumb on the pulse of the pickups world, but why has there been what seems to be an abrupt reversal of public opinions on Fishman Fluences? Why are so many people hating on them now?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe ive lost touch with keeping my thumb on the pulse of the pickups world, but why has there been what seems to be an abrupt reversal of public opinions on Fishman Fluences? Why are so many people hating on them now?

Because they have one sound, and they threw money at every major artist to have "that" sound and now it's just mid-range honk/quack as far as the ear can hear

Eyelessfiend

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I didn't know people hated em. I see lots of people with em both locally and online. I don't own any but they seem fine if you like actives.

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because it's how the hype cycle goes.

It's hyped up by a few and quickly becomes the cool thing.
Then everyone starts putting it on everything and so it becomes not cool again.
People who were proud to shew them off on their boutique builds are salty that any pleb can suddenly get it on a used LTD, so now they're trash.

on-the-path-unwinding-in-the-circle-of-life.jpg

Strobe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mean, they are good pickups and a cool piece of tech with some neat features, but at the same time they are not everyone's cup of tea. There are only a dozen or so types - there are many, many competitors out there. Some are going to prefer the sound or feel of something else. Some will still write off anything with a battery.

That said, I spend plenty of time on guitar forums. I have definitely seen some complaints, and some over-hype of them, but nothing I would consider *hate*. Where is this hate? WTF are you referring to?

magicpad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just got my first guitar (solar baritone) with a set of them and they are really great.... I prefer using the "modern" mode for recording and the "vintage" mode when I play/practice with the band.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Because if you teach a Man to Fish he will eat forever but if you teach a Fish to Man you have created an unholy abomination in the eyes of God and invite his swift and merciless wrath.
:rofl:

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Remember Quad Cortex hype? Remember Bernie Rico Junior? Seen any guitars with Seymour Duncan Blackouts lately? Any superstrats with a floyd and a wonky bridge humbucker in the style of EVH?

Stuff just comes and goes. I remember when Fishman hype was just starting, and there was this video with Tosin with plenty of views where he was downright awed by the pickups. And yet couple of years ago from that Tosin was really excited about 8 string EMGs, there was even an official EMG video.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the hype. Artists are finicky, and there's fuck all money in the business, so don't hold it against them to hype things. YouTubers are just being YouTubers - 99% of review videos are, in reality, infomercials. Forums... well, Bernie Rico Junior, anyone?

Kaura

matching headstock fetishist
Reaction score

They were hyped to death and then people realised they weren't the next best thing since sliced bread? :shrug:

bjjman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think a lot of people regard Fishman Moderns as the 'Fishman sound' and Moderns can be polarizing. I'm not a fan of the Moderns but dig the Open Core Classics and their strat pickups. The Abasis' have some awesome tones but have a touch of the Modern vibe to them that has left me on the fence about them.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
People are basing their opinions mostly off the moderns which are a hyper polarizing set of pickups. They sound like ass in anything above C and the claims of being more dynamic than EMGs are true, but the cleans still aren't great. At least an 81 does the drowned in chorus Metallica thing, moderns are too aggressive for that. They're super mid forward and people are plugging them into a 5153 and wondering why their tone is all mids and drowned in gain. For what they do they're king and the ceramic modern is the most pissed off thing made since the EMG 81. I love them but I'm also not using a hyper modern setup.

Now the signature sets are a whole different ball game. Javier Reyes sigs?????? Dynamic, chunky, smooth, great cleans. Waaaaaaay different than the moderns.

Also the wiring is complicated and they eat batteries like a rabid animal.