First 7string recommendations

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not willing to read all posts but if not said already, I'd certainly consider used due to the low cost on 7 strings on the used market.

I'm a happy user of an early 2000's LTD H207 carve top with a dimarzio blaze bridge pickup and I'm happy. I got this new at the time, still have it, and it's stayed and functioned great over time.

I'd consider some the Japanese made RG 7's. Those are way affordable, surprisingly.

Hey everyone,
Its my first post so bear with me. I'm looking for my first 7 string, but I'm not sure what I need. I know that I want something not crazy expensive, and something to play in both Drop A and Drop G. I dont entirely know if it's a matter of scale length or string gauge. If anyone has some knowledge about this they could share with me, that would be great

Thanks

Vermilion.Inc.7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for your input everyone! I really do appreciate it.

I think I've narrowed it down to a couple options and I think I'm gonna go with some sort of MiJ Ibanez. I've found a couple examples around town and I found a couple on reverb.

Any other input would be appreciated, I like getting other people's opinions!

Thanks again.

onefingersweep

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you tried a baritone before? Just go to a musicstore and see if they have any that you can try. You might be like most people (having trouble playing them) or you can be like me who prefers a longer scale and actually think they are more comfortable than standard scale guitars.

25.5 inch scale is going to sound bad for a low G. The string you need will intonate very poorly and it will sound muddy for sure and you're going to have to play like a girl for the notes to not pitch up when you play it.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
...but after I asked my band mates they said it looked tacky.
Here's an honest input...
FUCK what other people think! It's YOUR instrument, and YOUR connection to the instrument is more important than what other people think. If you get a good vibe from an instrument, then that is what you should be playing!

I was in a band with a dude that had a thing for white instruments. He tried to convince me I should buy a white bass. Ended up with my extremely sparkly Dingwall instead, because I just felt that bass, and I couldn't be happier :)