First 7 string

wmheadbanger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sup my dudes !

I'm new here , so hi to all !

I have been playing 6 strings for over a decade.

Now I want to play Korn and all those things that I couldn’t play for 10 years. Other bands I like ( Gojira, Opeth - not 7 string I know, but need to tune down - so a 26.5 inch scale 7 string? )
Will buy it today if I can.
Will go for used under 500$ - I prefer reverbdotcom.
Dont want to mod or change pickups.
No whammy bar needed.
Appreciate if you find any Black Friday deals for a 7 string.
I need metal in my life.

thanks !

7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Used and under 500 basically leaves you with Ibanez, Jackson, or Schecter.

The only Ibanez i would end up with in this bracket is the RG7321. Its a simple RG7, tried and true workhorse that lots of us here have enjoyed. The older you can get one (in good condition), the better of a guitar it could be. I wouldnt even bother with any of the Gio series guitars.

Though if youre not too picky with aesthetics, there is an AX7521 for sale for a good deal. Theyre the only MIJ Ibanez 7 under 500 left. The downside is that it is short scale like a Les Paul. But ive personally tuned mine to A-Standard to play Korn riffs a million times. It works just fine, and even has a unique, dark tone to it. Awesome guitar.

Used Ibanez AX7 7-String https://reverb.com/item/63124178-us...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=63124178

The Schecter Demon or Omen offerings are basically the same thing. Schecter is known for having lots of 26.5" 7 strings, including both of the two I just mentioned. Quality seems fine on the few I have played.

And I despise the Jackson JS guitars. Their only pro is that theyre cheap.

Thats the bulk of what i could find on reverb, but Reverb is known for having pretty high prices. Check out the Guitar Center online used section sometime. GC is the universal instrument dump for people who dont know anything about guitars. That leads to good deals for us 👍

wmheadbanger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
T
Used and under 500 basically leaves you with Ibanez, Jackson, or Schecter.

The only Ibanez i would end up with in this bracket is the RG7321. Its a simple RG7, tried and true workhorse that lots of us here have enjoyed. The older you can get one (in good condition), the better of a guitar it could be. I wouldnt even bother with any of the Gio series guitars.

Though if youre not too picky with aesthetics, there is an AX7521 for sale for a good deal. Theyre the only MIJ Ibanez 7 under 500 left. The downside is that it is short scale like a Les Paul. But ive personally tuned mine to A-Standard to play Korn riffs a million times. It works just fine, and even has a unique, dark tone to it. Awesome guitar.

Used Ibanez AX7 7-String https://reverb.com/item/63124178-us...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=63124178

The Schecter Demon or Omen offerings are basically the same thing. Schecter is known for having lots of 26.5" 7 strings, including both of the two I just mentioned. Quality seems fine on the few I have played.

And I despise the Jackson JS guitars. Their only pro is that theyre cheap.

Thats the bulk of what i could find on reverb, but Reverb is known for having pretty high prices. Check out the Guitar Center online used section sometime. GC is the universal instrument dump for people who dont know anything about guitars. That leads to good deals for us 👍
Thanks man, Ill trust you - I’ll go with the RG7321, the ax7 looks ugly to me sorry hehe. I see 2 used ones - let me know which one you would pick - color doesn’t matter, I’ll order right away.
Production year: September 2008
Production year: January 2009

Also, there is the Fender champion 50 xl amplifier on BF sale for 150 $. Would it be good for practice and small gigs?
I do have some pedals to go with it - digitech drop, Boss BD 2 and catalinbread belle epoch.

Last edited:

7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would go with the red flame. The 7321FM is a lot less common, definitely a cool guitar. I think it might have a mahogany body too. Be sure not to string it up backwards like this seller did :lol:

Cant comment on the amp choice, never used one personally.

wmheadbanger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would go with the red flame. The 7321FM is a lot less common, definitely a cool guitar. I think it might have a mahogany body too. Be sure not to string it up backwards like this seller did :lol:

Cant comment on the amp choice, never used one personally.
Just bought it ! Got it for 329 plus taxes As offered by the seller. Can’t wait to play ..hehe. Thanks again , you have a good night !

edit: 1 more question. What strings should I buy, I see it is 25.5 scale length

Last edited:

7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice, i hope youll like it, those are classic workhorses 👍

As for strings, it can be difficult finding the perfect set for a 7, especially tuning down to A standard. At least to get you started, Ernie Ball sells 11s 7 string sets. The .58 for the A is a little floppy, but itll get you by until you find the right set.

Most companies have some way of allowing you to build custom sets. Some like Daddario and Ernie Ball make you buy individual strings, while others like StringJoy or Curt Mangen will allow you to make actual custom sets.

Shop around on the internet, theres lots of string companies these days.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also, there is the Fender champion 50 xl amplifier on BF sale for 150 $. Would it be good for practice and small gigs?
I do have some pedals to go with it - digitech drop, Boss BD 2 and catalinbread belle epoch.
The Champion XL series is pretty cool for the money. They’re good basic modeling amps that don’t have screens, menus, Bluetooth, WiFi, app, or USB. You just turn the knobs until you get a sound you like, and if that never happens, you buy a different amp. They take drive pedals really well. The built-in effects are decent but very limited in what they can do. I use a 100 XL as my main practice amp.

wmheadbanger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ordered that too from sweet water, thanks !
The Champion XL series is pretty cool for the money. They’re good basic modeling amps that don’t have screens, menus, Bluetooth, WiFi, app, or USB. You just turn the knobs until you get a sound you like, and if that never happens, you buy a different amp. They take drive pedals really well. The built-in effects are decent but very limited in what they can do. I use a 100 XL as my main practice amp

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats! Hard to go wrong with a 7321 of any kind, I have two that I really like. Great platform for mods if you want to get into that and just an overall solid guitar.

7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just for fun I went looking at string options and found that Ernie Ball sells these, which will be a LOT better in A standard. And they come in both regular slinky, and a couple of their nice strings.

wmheadbanger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys, OP here. I want to upgrade the bridge and the tuners - may be the locking tuners, what would you suggest? It has some tuning issues. Also what would be an upgrade for the pickups? I’m playing some 7 string meshuggah/ Korn etc.

Captain Shoggoth

literally just vibing
Reaction score
Hey guys, OP here. I want to upgrade the bridge and the tuners - may be the locking tuners, what would you suggest? It has some tuning issues. Also what would be an upgrade for the pickups? I’m playing some 7 string meshuggah/ Korn etc.

Bridge is probably fine, just needs a decent setup. Any major brand locking tuners should be fine, I'd recommend the Gotoh SG381-MGs but any locking tuners from Gotoh, Hipshot, Grover, Sperzel, Planet Waves etc will do the job

Pickups wise, if you want something mean with some room for versatility, Duncan JB/Distortion or Dimarzio Evolution/Ionizer. Duncan Nazgul or Lundgren M7 if you just want aggression :2c:

oceanrose

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
+1 on gotoh locking tuners. In addition to this, a graphtech nut can be a huge improvement in tuning stability and string action if cut properly by a reputable luthier vs the original nut.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Tuners aren't the source of your tuning issues, basically ever. It's the nut. Upgrade your tuners, sure, that will help restringing speed and potentially give you a different turn to tune ratio that you might like better, but don't expect better tuning stability just because you bought locking tuners.

littlebadboy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
edit: 1 more question. What strings should I buy, I see it is 25.5 scale length

I would check with String Joy to suggest a set for your desired tension.

For pickups, if it was my guitar, I would slap a DiMarzio D-Activator 7 on the bridge. I would keep the bridge hardware as is for now and enjoy it as it is. But, as mentioned above, I would definitely look into that nut of it is holding on to those strings.

Very nice guitar! Congratulations! I had a 7321 too that I miss.

Latest posts