Finally frets that even this place can't complain about...

ClownShoes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's why the titanium floyd was such an obvious grift. The only reason you'd want one is to save weight.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I got titanium saddle inserts in the Floyd of one of my guitars just to be able to say I got titanium in my guitar. They have made absolutely zero difference in tone or playability, and I still love them because titanium. Granted, they may still actually have some functional benefit, as they are harder than the original ones that came in the Floyd (which I think were brass) and may not wear as quickly.

I like my frets shiny though, so no dice with titanium frets for me. Also got titanium saddles on my Prestige AZ, so that's cool. Dunno that actually makes any functional difference though.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
... it's never over the top until we get to the diamond frets...
Have you inquired about doing that on a PRS Private stock? If you have enough money, they will do pretty much anything.

I am pretty sure that "strung to drop H with strings of pure angel pubes with wood from the ark of the covenant aged in orbit with diamond frets" wouldn't be the weirdest request they've received...or tried to fulfill.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't want to rain in the seller's party, but... "[stainless] is in most cases harder than titanium"

View attachment 115000

...but then:"titanium forms an oxide layer...that resists most penetration forces".

Fun fact: Aluminum is softer than stainless steel, but aluminum oxide, like the surface of anodized aluminum, is harder than hardened steel and even quartz.

I wonder how titanium oxide compares.

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
...but then:"titanium forms an oxide layer...that resists most penetration forces".

Fun fact: Aluminum is softer than stainless steel, but aluminum oxide, like the surface of anodized aluminum, is harder than hardened steel and even quartz.

I wonder how titanium oxide compares.
You'll obviously need grade 5 Titanium as most others can't be polished. Oxidized Titanium is a rough surface and pretty much unusable for playing a guitar.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
most people on here won't even wear down nickel frets, let alone stainless. Aint a damn person on here that needs harder than stainless :lol:
I have worn down cheap nickel frets on Korean made guitars, particularly the ones I got as a high schooler. I went through the frets on my Washburn Dime 333 in maybe 10 years of casual / hobby play. I mean, the frets were worn and unpleasant within the first four years. The last bit only lasted because I bought more guitars.
He more guitars one owns, the less their frets wear...
Yeah, exactly! At this point, I do not really shy from hard nickel frets. I have gotten the impression that PRS uses a particularly hard nickel alloy for their frets. I am a huge fan of Jescar Evo Gold for refretting work if one can get over the gold-ish color to them. I certainly don't mind stainless as the last three instruments I have bought have all had SS frets from the factory.