Female guitarists on Only Fans. Not sure if it is a good or bad thing....

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There's a guitarist that I follow online, and am a fan of, and she recently started an onlyfans account, where she'll be posting what she describes as sleazy hot, revealing, content without limitation. I know of a few women musicians who have opened onlyfans accounts, and some of them say it's non-nude, and more of a patreon level account. When this particular guitarist opened her account, and wrote that, I was bummed. But then I wondered WHY I was bummed, and if that was a patriarchal, Puritanistic reaction. On the one hand, I'd love for her to be respected for her actual playing, and would love for her to be able to make a living with it, and worry that she won't be taken seriously if she does this. On the other, I shouldn't judge, I shouldn't want her to limit her income, because it's tough to be a musician. And what she does on there really has no bearing on her ability to make good music.

What do you guys think?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
If it's truly going to be non-nude content, then why not move to a platform who's also known for not having nude content (AKA Patreon)? It may start with the best of intentions, but it's a slippery slope.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Who cares? I'm not saying that to be dismissive of your question...I'm saying no one should care how someone else makes a living that someone else is willing to pay so long as it isn't a scam. A guitar related patreon or onlyfans is basically digital busking and who are we to say what the criteria should be. Someone wants to play guitar in lingerie because someone will pay to watch...more power to them. To me it's still less offensive than Kerry King in his own merch

Albake21

"Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."
Reaction score
Who cares? I'm not saying that to be dismissive of your question...I'm saying no one should care how someone else makes a living that someone else is willing to pay so long as it isn't a scam. A guitar related patreon or onlyfans is basically digital busking and who are we to say what the criteria should be. Someone wants to play guitar in lingerie because someone will pay to watch...more power to them. To me it's still less offensive than Kerry King in his own merch
Just because someone is allowed to do it, nor would I ever make that judgment of whether they should do it or not, still makes me okay with saying I'd lose a little respect towards that guitar player.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
1656276762589.png

Let's be honest....the only reason almost every musician in the 80's didn't have an onlyfans was because the internet didn't exist yet. I was never a fan of Lita Ford but women like her who used sex appeal and a very risque image to sell their music didn't bother me or make me think less of them as musicians. It was only because of the 90's that using sex in order to sell music gave way to thrift shop sweaters to hide track marks fashion in order to sell depression. I appreciate the marriage of sex and rock making a comeback in any way it can.

Let me put it this way.....

I would not think less of the female guitarist who uses overt sex appeal on a pay portal to gain an internet following or the male guitar fan who watches...even for money. In the end she still has talent (hopefully)

But I think less of the female non-guitar player uses overt appeals that should by rights only entertain infants to gain an internet following and any adult who actually watches...even for free

1656277881333.png

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Gotta be honest, I think anyone is quite frankly mad to not take the opportunity if they can these days. I understand it's a big deal to many, but I can't imagine not doing so. There is so much money on tap right there.
It's becoming quite the norm and I think that's great and am super happy for anyone receiving money outside of traditional work (and it is work, hard work!). I am very much for all methods of self sufficient lifestyles and income supplementation.
I think it makes even more sense for someone already in an existing entertainment industry to be able to cross-advertise their platforms for more exposure. I really view it no differently than any other creative entertainment/artform that 'content creators' of all kinds are exploring these days in various industries.

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
I can't fault anyone for weaponizing their attractiveness. Hell I'd do it if I could make Amouranth level money :lol:
Anyone remember how Peter Steele did playgirl? Or when he put his asshole on the cover of Origin of Feces?

Last edited:

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
If it's non nude, what's the difference with a YT subscription?

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OnlyFans has been trying to attract more non-sex-orientated creators to its site for a while, as a way to grow into a more "legit" platform. There are some people who just treat it as a sort of gate-kept Instagram or Patreon.

That said, if she is "selling her body"...more power to her. I would if I could. 😅 That said...it does open yourself up more to being a target of creeps/stalkers, because once there's money exchanging hands, some people feel entitled....that you "owe" them something you may never have offered. A friend of a friend used to sell photo sets of some (non-nude) photo shoots through Instagram, and someone stalked her PO box to ambush her. Nothing happened beyond a super creepy interaction from someone who thought they were owed something more, but it was enough for her to pull the plug in that side hustle.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
On the one hand, I'd love for her to be respected for her actual playing, and would love for her to be able to make a living with it, and worry that she won't be taken seriously if she does this.
I literally had to work full-time as a guitar tech, part-time in radio, and part-time in a medical laboratory to make rent make for a few years. Almost everyone I knew working in radio had a side gig. Many of the full-time guitar techs on my team had paying gigs on weekends.

Yes, it sucks if someone feels like they have to do that to get a boost in popularity, but few of us can survive on one job in today's economy. If she gets something out of it and wants to do it, there is no reason to be disappointed in her. Really, I wish that everyone in the world today had a chance to just do what they enjoyed doing while doing something for the good of society for only a few hours a week instead of essentially being indentured servants and wage-slaves.

Besides, she might as well do that while the freedom still exists (that is if it is in the united states).

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I literally had to work full-time as a guitar tech, part-time in radio, and part-time in a medical laboratory to make rent make for a few years. Almost everyone I knew working in radio had a side gig. Many of the full-time guitar techs on my team had paying gigs on weekends.

Yes, it sucks if someone feels like they have to do that to get a boost in popularity, but few of us can survive on one job in today's economy. If she gets something out of it and wants to do it, there is no reason to be disappointed in her. Really, I wish that everyone in the world today had a chance to just do what they enjoyed doing while doing something for the good of society for only a few hours a week instead of essentially being indentured servants and wage-slaves.

Besides, she might as well do that while the freedom still exists (that is if it is in the united states).
Yeah, I agree. But I know that women guitarists fight against the impression of them as eye candy, rather than serious players. But I guess there's nothing much she, or any of us, can do about that, other than to try to not judge someone's music with a metric unrelated to their music.