Fear of plugins?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
All my things are set up correctly. I mean an interface and plugins is not ideal for practicing, because there is always latency no matter how small. I'm not talking about the modellers. Actually it was one of the selling points of the hardware Helix LT for me, no more latency if I just want to play or practice. And I had been practicing for years with an interface and VST amps before that, I know it's doable but it's not ideal. If you practice really fast exercises it's especially easy to tell. It's not the same to play through a hardware unit like the Helix or an amp than to play through an interface while monitoring through the DAW. You can get it to the point where it's almost not noticeable but direct monitoring is always better for practicing and playing.
I'm getting about ~3-5ms latency playing freeware plugins to neural DSP :shrug: if you can feel that and it bothers you, I do not envy you.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm getting about ~3-5ms latency playing freeware plugins to neural DSP :shrug: if you can feel that and it bothers you, I do not envy you.
As someone who hasn't tried a plugin yet, i was just about to ask about that. I've not seen anyone say the latency is bad enough to not use them for practice before.

Do some people notice latency but "cope with it" ? I actually can't imagine what it'd feel like to play with it.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
As someone who hasn't tried a plugin yet, i was just about to ask about that. I've not seen anyone say the latency is bad enough to not use them for practice before.

Do some people notice latency but "cope with it" ? I actually can't imagine what it'd feel like to play with it.
I don't personally notice any sort of latency, I suppose YMMV but I'm pretty certain people who can feel less than 5 ms latency are the same dudes saying they can hear the difference between an ash body and an alder body in a full mix....

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't personally notice any sort of latency, I suppose YMMV but I'm pretty certain people who can feel less than 5 ms latency are the same dudes saying they can hear the difference between an ash body and an alder body in a full mix....

since sound travels around 1 foot in 1ms, that would be the same "latency" you'd get standing 5 feet from your amp

in other words, no

AwakenTheSkies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

You can tell the difference too!
Grab a synth, go to the amp envelope and make the attack curve as sharp as possible. Try the attack at 0,5ms and after that 5ms, play the notes then tell me you can't tell the difference. Even if you can't hear it, you will be able to "feel" it. Same again with a compressor, 0,5ms attack vs 5ms attack. Now ask yourself is that 5ms delay effect really something you want when you are practicing a really fast exercise for hours, days, months? And if you have a choice, would you really choose that against an option where you don't have to worry about that at all?

I'm not saying not to use the plugin, I'm saying my opinion and that to know if it's good or not, you have to try it yourself. It's a really fast and easy experiment too.